Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-11, 01:24 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Karen Voight Fans

I was over at total fitness looking at the video for Karen Voights Ballet Sculpt and realize this lady has the body type that I would like to strive for...long, lean muscles. Do you think that she has strictly gotten this body by doing ballet, yoga, piliates fusion work.... or do you think she also does some heavy lifting? I am debating in March ( due to my no buy for 3months challange) getting this workout and pulling out some of her older ones I have. ( have not done Karen in years) So for those of you who have done Karen, what results have you gotten? Do you still love her new workouts and how do you incorporate them into a rotation?
CHAPLYN61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 01:28 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I think wise choice of parents and genetics plays the biggest part. However, I don't think Karen has ever lifted heavy weights, all her video weight work is relatively hig rep/low weight. She also does a lot of yoga.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 01:30 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

From everything I have heard/read she has never been one to lift heavy. But her diet is very controlled and has been for a long time. Honestly, I'm not that into her two new workouts - which is a shame because I certainly expected to love them. Ballet Body sculpt is light on upper body (I think she throws in some push ups) but for me that is too much to then go do an upper body workout the next day. The stretch workout I'm not in love with for similar reasons. I count my stretch day as a rest day and there is 10 minute warm up that includes some planks. For me that is not a move I do on a rest day. So I'm really not using these effectively at all. Hopefully someone else will chime in. They are well done and in a beautiful setting but I just have a hard time working them in a rotation.

Terrie
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 03:57 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPLYN61 View Post
So for those of you who have done Karen, what results have you gotten? Do you still love her new workouts and how do you incorporate them into a rotation?
Karen's physique--genetics and diet play a huge part--she has said that she is really strict about what she eats. She has never released a DVD that incorporates heavy lifting, so it makes me wonder whether she does much of it in the routines she does for herself (personal fitness). However, I don't think she developed her amazing musculature just using 3 lb. green genie balls.

I do Karen's new barre workout once or twice a week and her new stretch workout about once a week. I don't do formal rotations, but I have been doing a lot of yoga/pilates/balance workouts and hers work well for me--no dread factor on her barre workout, which I do agree is very skimpy on upper body. Sometimes what I do is to tack on the tricep and arm workouts from Squeeze. I use Karen's stretch routine as an easy day workout (as opposed to a 'no workout' day)--it is more challenging than one would think, what with the planks.

Results--I'm no Karen, but my body type is somewhat similar to hers insofar as we both have long arms and legs and we're about the same age. When I am consistent in doing her workouts (Great Weighted Workout and Streamline Fitness along with the 2 new ones and her yoga workout), I look really good (but then, my diet is quite clean, too).

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 04:33 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPLYN61 View Post
I was over at total fitness looking at the video for Karen Voights Ballet Sculpt and realize this lady has the body type that I would like to strive for...long, lean muscles. Do you think that she has strictly gotten this body by doing ballet, yoga, piliates fusion work.... or do you think she also does some heavy lifting? I am debating in March ( due to my no buy for 3months challange) getting this workout and pulling out some of her older ones I have. ( have not done Karen in years) So for those of you who have done Karen, what results have you gotten? Do you still love her new workouts and how do you incorporate them into a rotation?
I just worked out 'with' Karen yesterday (her new Ballet Body Sculpt) and I was thinking about this. Karen has very developed hamstrings (that I envy), quads and glutes. I was also thinking that I didn't feel the workout would do much for me (but maybe i'm wrong: I'll keep at it and see).

I think a lot of her muscle comes from her being a mesomorph (with some other body types mixed in).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 05:19 PM  
FitJosee

I don’t know if she lifts heavy or not, it just seems impossible for me that she would get that muscular definition on light weights, but I have never seen a heavy lift WO from her either or read that she does heavy?!?!?

I think genetic is a major factor for everyone.

I like Karen a lot, I think she is graceful and cues great in the WO that I have had the chance to do. Even if I would like to somewhat look like her, I have come to terms with that idea of looking like any instructor. There just too much dedication and time spent to get there for me. I’m just happy being fit, looking the softer way I do.

Tags
green genies, karen voight