Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-17, 09:18 PM  
bfit

OT: Any experience with Feliway for stressed cats

Has anyone ever used Feliway for a stressed cat? It supposedly infuses the room with kitty pheromones that make them happy and relaxed. We're enduring home renovation, and our cat doesn't like the noise and disruption. He isn't hiding, but he's clearly not happy either. The vet said to put it in the room where he spends the most time. I've seen mixed reviews online.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 09:36 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I volunteer at an animal shelter and we use Feliway or similar product when any of our cats are stressed. The shelter is an especially stressful situation for many cats for all sorts of reasons. and we spray it on their bedding. It also comes in a plug-in thingie like a room freshener. It's used at all 5 of our shelter locations and I'm sure our behavior analysis team must recommend it and that's why it's used.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 10:49 PM  
mtnmom

When we go away on vacation, I plug about 5 of them throughout my house. I have 2 cats.

I don't know if it makes the situation better, but I figure that their routine is disrupted a bunch since we're away, that maybe it would help.

Our cat-sitter hasn't noticed any major issues that she's reported. So I really don't know if it's a result of the Feliway or if they'd be okay without.

FWIW, our cats are indoors, but have "supervised" time outside when we are home on the top deck. Obviously, this doesn't happen when we are gone. Also, they are both 15 years old and I swear, the male cat is suffering from dementia and recently "goes after" the female (also 15). I've used the Feliway when we are gone to mellow him. Cat-sitters haven't mentioned issues and I hope they have been forthcoming with issues if there are any.
Old 07-11-17, 12:45 AM  
mtngoat

Our little orange guy, Pumpkin, was (and is) a very nervous cat. A couple of years ago we had an attempted home invasion. Pumpkin became very stressed - he was losing a dangerous amount of weight, losing fur, etc. The vet suggested a couple of products - 'Comfort Zone with Feliway' spray was the product which helped the most. Pumpkin has gained weight, and while still nervous, isn't as highly stressed as he was. Now I just spray when something is upsetting him, or when we are going to be taking a car trip, etc.. It really has been very helpful.

(I wish there was a similar product for humans, ha ha. It took me a year before I could sleep through the night. I am sure that my jumping at every sound in the night fed his stress. )

eta: I sprayed Comfort Zone right on Pumpkin's beds, pads, travel case, etc. He has a few favorite spots on a couple of chairs and sofas. Rather than spray the furniture directly, I spray a facecloth and tuck that into the furniture. As I recall the bottle of Comfort Zone was rather expensive, but it lasts a long time.

Comfort Zone seems to have no effect on my female cat Peanut. I don't know if gender has anything to do with that. It may just be personality - Peanut is very unflappable.

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 10:45 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

I've had zero luck with Feliway with my cats but have had great luck in the most unexpected of places....my husband's cologne. It's something in a round black bottle made by Avon which he only bought out of kindness to the neighbor selling it, so we aren't even sure what it is, but one day, we found our striped demon rolling and drooling on a shirt that had traces of the cologne on it!

Since then, any time that kitty is stressed (his brother is not such a stress ball), we spray the cologne on a shirt or towel in a 'safe' place like the floor of our bedroom closet and he curls up there and rides out whatever is stressing him out. This has worked like a charm through home improvements, bad storms, and other scary moments!

Good luck...hope you find a solution that helps!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-17, 06:06 PM  
Leonana

We used it when one of our cats was a kitten. He would get run around the house really crazy like, and then stop while panting. Fortunately, he only did it a few times. We took him to the vet and they said he was fine. The Feliway really calmed him down when it happened.
Old 07-13-17, 11:11 PM  
unfetteredpast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
I've had zero luck with Feliway with my cats but have had great luck in the most unexpected of places....my husband's cologne. It's something in a round black bottle made by Avon which he only bought out of kindness to the neighbor selling it, so we aren't even sure what it is, but one day, we found our striped demon rolling and drooling on a shirt that had traces of the cologne on it!

Since then, any time that kitty is stressed (his brother is not such a stress ball), we spray the cologne on a shirt or towel in a 'safe' place like the floor of our bedroom closet and he curls up there and rides out whatever is stressing him out. This has worked like a charm through home improvements, bad storms, and other scary moments!

Good luck...hope you find a solution that helps!
I love this!
unfetteredpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-17, 06:20 AM  
Carol K

I'm using it now, because we just moved. It's really expensive, so I just purchased one diffuser for the laundry room where we have the litter boxes and got a spray to use elsewhere. Lily is still hissing at Precious though. She always blames every traumatic experience on Precious.
Old 07-14-17, 08:33 AM  
Psyche
VF Supporter

I used it for my two kitties and did not see any changes/ benefits.
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-17, 11:00 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Feliway seems to be like catnip. It works for some, but not for others.

My cats don't like the spray version. I use the "Multicat" room diffusers and it seems to calm them down a little bit.

I also use Rescue Remedy drops for pets and it also seems to calm them a bit.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote