Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-12-15, 12:20 AM  
Sultana

Yoga program for beginners

I'm interested in starting a yoga practice, I've fallen off the fitness wagon (Cathe, KCM, etc.). I think this might be a good time to try yoga since I'm already NOT doing those other workouts. Ultimate Yoga sounds really good but the workouts are pretty long. Suggestions regarding a yoga program, including UY are welcome. TY in advance. Oh and I have Bellyfit dvd's I think I might use to segue into yoga. TY again.
Sultana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-15, 01:37 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

My all time favorite yoga DVD is Erich Schiffmann's Backyard Beginner, but it is 70 minutes long, so I'm not sure that helps you.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-15, 03:16 AM  
RachelW

I really enjoy Udaya streaming videos. You can choose the length, level, and instructor. There are many to choose from and they give excellent cuing. Good luck finding the right program for you!
Old 03-12-15, 08:22 AM  
laurajhawk

A nice start for a beginner, as a "program", would be Rodney Yee's AM Yoga For Your Week. You could do one of the five routines each day for several weeks. Then, I'd move on to Blissology - they have some advanced poses, but there is always a modifier, and you can choose between the full routine each day (about 40-55 min) and the quickie (about 25-40 min).

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-15, 09:21 AM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
A nice start for a beginner, as a "program", would be Rodney Yee's AM Yoga For Your Week. You could do one of the five routines each day for several weeks. Then, I'd move on to Blissology - they have some advanced poses, but there is always a modifier, and you can choose between the full routine each day (about 40-55 min) and the quickie (about 25-40 min).
Yep, this is a great recommendation.
Old 03-12-15, 10:55 AM  
Sultana

Thank you so much. I'll get the Rodney Yee AM Yoga for your Week first, then I can add the other suggestions once I've developed some habit energy. Its probably better if I limit my choices. I appreciate the time taken to help, thank you to all who responded.
Sultana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-15, 11:38 AM  
buffmama

I would focus on something with a lot of form cues. Maybe start with the older Yoga Zones they have beginner workouts and then advance to their harder ones. Suzanne Deason has a workout where 3 different levels are shown. I also like the yoga workouts from Body Wisdom - Yoga for Inflexible People is one - lots of workouts, arranged by level, and inexpensive. That one shows lots of modifications.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-15, 02:59 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

There are a ton of yoga workouts here. I've done a few beginner ones. They're free.

http://www.psychetruth.net
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-15, 11:10 PM  
smith938
VF Supporter

Adriene has free yoga on youtube and some is beginner. The longer yoga zone ones are nice. I love yee's am yoga for your week. Also like bkissology but it istough eventhe quickie routine and the modifier doesn't always modify enough imo but it is fun to do and see the progress

Tags
beginner yoga, yoga for beginners