Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-26-13, 06:38 AM  
sherry7899

Leslie used to be my mainstay cardio when I first started exercising. Now when I try to do her workouts, my lower back and hip flexors become very tight, which is painful. It is all the repetitive moves. I've held onto a few of her workouts, but I"ve had to get rid of most of them because they cause pain for me.

When I originally started working out using her dvds, I did lose weight.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 07:02 AM  
marmact

Isn't Ballet Beautiful more strength-oriented (i.e., using your body weight to create resistance)? If so, that's probably why you're seeing such a difference. Leslie doesn't "work" for me, if by "work" you mean "get visible results." I pretty much use Leslie when I don't know what I feel like doing or am not feeling motivated or need to warm up.
Old 02-26-13, 07:23 AM  
Sara1000

Bad form in what way? I've noticed some slumping with a couple of the participants but that's about it.

I can see how too much Leslie could be too much repetitive movement, but I don't see how her workouts could cause weight gain unless a person is eating for higher intensity workouts while just doing Leslie.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 07:38 AM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

I was going to ask about the bad form too. I can see the repetitiveness causing problems but I don't understand the bad form comments. Please clue me in!

I only do Leslie on occasion when I need to get in extra steps and the weather is bad. I get better results when I walk outside because I live on a hill and it's always windy up here. Nothing like a little resistance to get the blood pumping!
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 07:51 AM  
lrb04

Leaning shoulders & body forward. Body not seeming aligned to me!
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 08:21 AM  
bearcatfan

I do enjoy the occasional Leslie, but I've found time really flies when I walk around my basement while watching tv - same concept, I guess. I've started hopping on the Airdyne bike (that sounds like an airplane) during the commercials.
Old 02-26-13, 09:32 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb04 View Post
Leaning shoulders & body forward. Body not seeming aligned to me!
This, plus bad posture with some backup exercisers.

Leslie often instructs for good form when she's doing knee lifts, but then, everything gets wonky in the practice.

Also, those double (and sometimes quadruple) side knee lifts can torque your knee (and I wonder how it is that some of the backup exercisers haven't blown their patellas off).

I can't watch some of them put their feet down without cringing, knowing that if I were walking the way they were walking, I'd be spasming on the floor in pain.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 09:44 AM  
Tish

I thought I was the only one who gained inches with Leslie. Several years ago I did one of her walk programs for a month. No change in diet, no other workouts. Only 1-3 miles per day. My thighs got bigger. I thought it was from the marching in place. Others said it was the kickbacks. I don't know but it was weird and disappointing to me and I haven't gone back to her.
Old 02-26-13, 09:59 AM  
hotncmom

Honestly, walking outside gives me the best results. The indoor walks (and rebounding) are what I do to manage through the winter, but once it gets into the 50's and higher, the outside walks, even just a mile or two in the morning with a longer 3-5 mile walk once or twice a week, combined with Ballet Body, yoga, floorwork, and light weights, really slim me down.

I can't wait until the weather warms up here!
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 10:17 AM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
Honestly, walking outside gives me the best results. The indoor walks (and rebounding) are what I do to manage through the winter, but once it gets into the 50's and higher, the outside walks, even just a mile or two in the morning with a longer 3-5 mile walk once or twice a week, combined with Ballet Body, yoga, floorwork, and light weights, really slim me down.

I can't wait until the weather warms up here!
You and me both. I'm going stir crazy and we're suppose to get another 4-6 inches of snow. I thought it was suppose to be an early spring- hahaha
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leslie sansone, outdoor walking, results, walking workouts