Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-20, 10:53 PM  
momofcha

Finding what works as we age

Has anyone successfully figured out what works for weight loss as we age? I’m in menopause and am struggling to lose about 25 pounds. I keep thinking I should go back to what worked in my 30s (kettlebells) but now that I’m older I know I need more rest days. I’m adding back in the strength I used to love but got away with because it started to wipe me out.

Anyone have any insight or tips? I realize it’s not a one size fits all and diet is huge but looking for some tips to keep me hopeful.

Thanks

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 01:55 AM  
Scorpio6

Bumping
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 04:13 AM  
IceQueen07

I am finding that what has been working for me is more weight workouts, but slow and controlled, not the fast paced workouts that have high reps and less cardio.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 06:48 AM  
donnamp

Hi Sue,

I think it is all individual to some extent - some people find that going with lighter/gentler exercises works better and others keep up with the intensity.

If you do streaming and you don't mind a VERY chatty instructor, Pahla B on You Tube has many workouts for, as she puts it, "women of a certain age". She recently did 31 workouts in January for weight loss for women in meno and perimeno. She does talk a lot - though - but it is mostly exercise/mindset/goal focused.

I'm still trying to figure out what works for me - I am having trouble finding my "happy" place - too intense and I'm in pain, not intense enough and I feel like I'm wasting my time and not getting the mood boost I need from working out.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 06:52 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Sadly, at my age (63) because of various joint issues, I can't work out hard enough to cause any weight loss. It's all about what goes in my mouth.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 06:58 AM  
Negin

I'm in menopause and struggling also. The older that I get, the more I realize that it's mostly diet. So yes, you are correct. When I control my diet, I notice that I get smaller and leaner. Exercise only makes me feel better and look more toned. It no longer helps me with weight loss. Also, the older that I get, the more I need gentler and more low-impact exercise - walking, swimming, Classical Stretch, light weights, all that sort of thing. Because of joint issues, I can no longer do heavy weights or anything high-impact. I just wish that I could be more disciplined when it comes to my eating. I love food and it's the bane of my existence.
Old 02-03-20, 10:29 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Sadly - less calorie intake. That said, weight workouts give me more oomph than cardio. I find that if I'm walking regularly my weight is easier to maintain. Not necessarily power walks, even stretching my legs for 15 minutes helps.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 11:31 AM  
Demeris

I'm 5 years post menopausal. My life has shown me that when I was younger Exercise was all I needed. Every year after 35, what I ate became far more important, increasingly so with each year. Now at the age of 62, healthful eating is the only way I can maintain or lose weight, regardless of how much I exercise.. And that's the inverse of my twenties and early thirties when I could eat what I wanted and run and swim off all those calories.

I'm also exercising for other reasons now. I'm exercising to maintain mobility. I'm exercising to maintain flexibility, stamina, strength, balance. 30 and 40 years ago, I exercised to keep my weight off.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 11:35 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Sue, I really miss Cathe type workouts, but yes, they leave me pretty sore. I don't think they are helping with any weight loss efforts I may try -- for the most part I eat more after those types of workouts, but I really like them, so I still do them maybe once or twice a week and I definitely modify or leave stuff out altogether.

I'm curious to know the name of the book that was hinted at, too. What usually works for me, if I can do it, is no snacking -- if I am busy with things or on vacation, I stick to two or three meals a day and always lose weight that way. Hopefully I haven't said too much about "diet" there.
Old 02-03-20, 12:35 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I have struggled with my weight pretty much my whole life. The D word has always been key for me before, during and after menopause, but exercise has allowed me to not be too restrictive with what I eat. I put on weight at menopause, and it stayed with me until I left a highly stressful job. Soon afterwards I was more consistent with my exercise and was able to eliminate a lot of the "stress nibbling" that I was doing at work and that I believe was a big factor in my weight gain. I focused on enjoying what I eat and eat when I'm hungry so I don't snack anywhere near as much as I did. I started doing more weight training and have built a nice muscle base to burn calories. I move around a lot, from a formal "workout" to just walking around the house or around the neighborhood. Movement has been important. I lost 25 pounds in roughly 6 months since I "retired" from that job, and almost 2 years later my weight has pretty much stabilized and I've not gained the weight back.

Sue, as you said, we are all different and what works for some may not work for others. I have a long history of weight issues and pretty much know what works to get me on track when I go off track. I am also lucky since I can continue to do Cathe and other high impact and intense workouts and still do fine with them. I turn 64 tomorrow and have been in menopause for roughly 10 years now. It does take time to adjust to a "new normal," so try not to beat yourself up for it!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, gall bladder, menopausal weight gain, menopause, multiple workouts per day, over 50, sleep, sparks, weight loss