Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-12-20, 12:46 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Post "The howling: Americans let it out from depths of pandemic"

https://apnews.com/5f9c18b0003178b81b3858e6d52a6321

"DENVER (AP) — It starts with a few people letting loose with some tentative yelps. Then neighbors emerge from their homes and join, forming a roiling chorus of howls and screams that pierces the twilight to end another day’s monotonous forced isolation.

From California to Colorado to Georgia and upstate New York, Americans are taking a moment each night at 8 p.m. to howl in a quickly spreading ritual that has become a wrenching response of a society cut off from one another by the coronavirus pandemic."

Has anyone heard or done this? Any howling we hear is dogs and/or coyotes.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-20, 01:00 PM  
alisoncooks

I heard about this on another forum. It's not happening in my area, though.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-20, 02:24 PM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
https://apnews.com/5f9c18b0003178b81b3858e6d52a6321

"DENVER (AP) — It starts with a few people letting loose with some tentative yelps. Then neighbors emerge from their homes and join, forming a roiling chorus of howls and screams that pierces the twilight to end another day’s monotonous forced isolation.

From California to Colorado to Georgia and upstate New York, Americans are taking a moment each night at 8 p.m. to howl in a quickly spreading ritual that has become a wrenching response of a society cut off from one another by the coronavirus pandemic."

Has anyone heard or done this? Any howling we hear is dogs and/or coyotes.
LOL. I am in upstate New York and there no howling going on around here that I'm aware of, although my husband did whimper a little the other day after the Governor mandated that golf courses close.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-20, 02:43 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

They are doing it here in the Santa Cruz mountains and some people report hearing a lot of other people doing it but the one night we tried we heard nothing. We're pretty remote. I also heard on the radio that they're doing it in Marin, north of San Francisco.
Old 04-12-20, 02:59 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Oh, they are doing it in my neighborhood. The first night we thought the coyotes were extra loud.

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-20, 03:16 PM  
akaAnnie

I'm in northern NY. Maybe it wasn't the coyotes after all!
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-20, 03:49 PM  
Demeris

No howling, but the neighbor who lives behind me goes out in his front yard and shoots his guns off every evening. According to the Sheriff's deputy who came out when we called, he can shoot his gun off all day long if he wants. I'm just hoping he keeps them aimed out at the federal land across the road from us.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-20, 03:51 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
No howling, but the neighbor who lives behind me goes out in his front yard and shoots his guns off every evening. According to the Sheriff's deputy who came out when we called, he can shoot his gun off all day long if he wants. I'm just hoping he keeps them aimed out at the federal land across the road from us.
Wow, that's got to be very annoying. You'd think someone with that mindset might be hoarding their bullets at this point. Sort of a joke?
Old 04-12-20, 03:52 PM  
Vantreesta

I haven't heard anything about the howling but the last two nights there were loud exploding type noises. We thought maybe it was fireworks but when I walked Cyric last night we heard the noises but saw nothing.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-20, 07:39 PM  
geojill

I live in northern CO and it is definitely a thing here. It’s the 8pm howl and it grows in numbers every night (although maybe not so much tonight as it is snowing). There are a LOT of people in my neighborhood that participate, and I have really grown fond of it. My dog joins in, too

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19