Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-19, 10:33 AM  
Sara1000

If I do leg presses and squats, do I really need lunges and dips?

'Cuz I hate lunges and dips!
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-19, 10:52 AM  
Hazel Porter

Life is too short to do workouts you don't like.

I've been going through PT for a hamstring issue with a guy who is also a trainer and he insists that you could do heavy kettlebell swings, squats, and deadlifts and never have to do any other resistance training. Which doesn't mean you can't do other exercises, just that he feels those three exercises hit the major muscle groups sufficiently (again, assuming weight is heavy enough) for most people who are simply looking to stay fit and healthy with a minimal investment of time.

I've been following a program he recommended for me that uses only these exercises for lower body (I'm still lifting for upper body because I enjoy it, plus running, walking, or biking on non-lifting days) and am actually loving the results -- my legs and butt look a whole lot slimmer than when I was doing 45 minute Cathe lower body routines 3 times a week.
Old 09-27-19, 11:01 AM  
slockhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Porter View Post

I've been following a program he recommended for me that uses only these exercises for lower body (I'm still lifting for upper body because I enjoy it, plus running, walking, or biking on non-lifting days) and am actually loving the results -- my legs and butt look a whole lot slimmer than when I was doing 45 minute Cathe lower body routines 3 times a week.
Would you mind sharing the program you are following?
thanks!!
Stacey
slockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-19, 11:05 AM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

Yes please post your lower body routine, thanks

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Denise R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-19, 11:54 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

I've been wondering too if lunges and dips are necessary. I don't hate them but have a significant/painful neuroma in my left foot. The angle at which the foot bends in those two exercises causes more discomfort and pain, not only during the exercise but even the next day.

Squats are not my favorite lower body move (I think I'm just tired of them; it seems they're in every single workout that isn't floor work) but they don't hurt my feet.

So Hazel, yes, please post your routine!
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-19, 01:39 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Porter View Post
Life is too short to do workouts you don't like.

I've been going through PT for a hamstring issue with a guy who is also a trainer and he insists that you could do heavy kettlebell swings, squats, and deadlifts and never have to do any other resistance training. Which doesn't mean you can't do other exercises, just that he feels those three exercises hit the major muscle groups sufficiently (again, assuming weight is heavy enough) for most people who are simply looking to stay fit and healthy with a minimal investment of time.

Everything you wrote here is music to my ears, as this is what I had concluded and have been doing: KB Swings, Squats, DLs and time on the treadmill and bike. I do other things too, but those are my staples.
Old 09-27-19, 02:08 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

What is difference between lunges and dips? I always thought dips were for the triceps, until I did a firm workout and they cued dips for what I thought seemed like a lunge? TIA

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-19, 02:10 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
What is different between lunges and dips? I always thought dips were for the triceps, until I did a firm workout and they cued dips for what I thought seemed like a lunge? TIA
I am also wondering what a dip is for the lower body. I thought they were for upper, mainly chest or triceps.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-19, 02:12 PM  
Sissy B

Isn't a dip a backward lunge? At least that what The FIRM called it.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-19, 05:48 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I like standing lower body work less and less as I age. Squats I have to do at a slower pace because they can be tough on my back, but if I do them in a single count but slowly it's fine. Or do a 2-2 count or something. Forget low ends or pulses, they are out. I don't even like holding at the bottom that much anymore either.

I have never liked forward lunges, so I don't do those either. I don't mind static or reverse lunges (dips). Leg presses are fine but I do on a lower box, I lowered from 12 inches to 10 inches and I like that height better. Dead lifts might be my favorite lower body exercise, I like plie squats too.

I also like stability ball roll ins, so more work on the ball might be good for me as well.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lower body, lunges