Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-18, 05:25 PM  
Fitstick

I’m good with 30,45 or 60 minute workouts depending on how much time I have and what’s going on in my life. I could never get into longer than 60 minutes.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-18, 06:16 PM  
BunnyHop

I also like the psychological boost I get from doing shorter workouts AM & PM. Being active all day feels like something to celebrate.

Even just picking up a kettlebell from time to time during the day gives me a boost.
Old 06-28-18, 06:19 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

on the weekdays, I do a couple shorter workouts that add up to 1 hour/day.

on the weekend, I can do 1 hour in one fell swoop.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-18, 09:03 PM  
Castella

I still prefer an hour even though I have less energy and there's never enough time for anything! The reason why is that I can't skip warming up, and I need time to do stretches afterwards or endure a lot of cramping in my calves. I also try to include some core/abs at the end of the workout. All of that is 15 to 20 minutes right there. I also prefer a more "stately" pace and longer workouts are more likely to provide that. Too often the 30 minute workouts try to jam an hour of work into half the amount of time.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-18, 09:09 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

It's not necessarily, but I just don't have the desire to exercise for that long anyway. I probably still do sometimes even if that is not the intent. But in recent years, I have just become lazy and need to rediscover my mojo, I admit it.

Years ago, some of my workouts would last two hours. Which seems a bit much but I was dedicated, much more than now.

I have some longer workouts, Firms mainly that are about an hour and while I have every intention of keeping them, I haven't reached for in a while. I plan to use the chaptering that comes with the remasters and shorten a bit, I bet they will get more use that way.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 06:38 AM  
horsemom2

I do ~30 minutes in the morning then a couple of 10-15 minute sparks throughout the day so still *exercise* or *play* over an hour most days.

This just works better for me mentally and physically.
Less dread and less pain and more energy.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 02:37 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

An hour isn't too long for me, although I do tend to do several different workouts to make up the hour + that I do probably four days a week. So yesterday I did the hi/lo segment from Franny Benedetto's Two Workouts with a Vengeance (which is under an hour---maybe 45-50 minutes tops). I then did Kelly's Trim and Tone Intervals from Build and Burn, which is tops 25 minutes including warm up and "stretch" (in quotes since it wasn't much of one). So that's maybe an hour and 15 but not the same workout. I also added some planks on the Bosu (flat side up) inspired by the other thread about the wobble platform. I was assisted by my 12 pound 2 year old cat-who-thinks-he's-still-a-kitten, who also stood on and balanced on the Bosu and bumped into my head and licked the sweat off my face as I'm trying to hold the position. So an additional challenge!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 04:15 PM  
marki64

For me, quality not quantity. I do anywhere from 40 min to an hour, but the 40 min has to feel as challenging as the hour. I also incorporate about 40 min to an hour of walking my dog at a brisk pace, so a shorter cardio workout, doesn't bother me.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 10:08 PM  
Betty Boop

I can go out for walks in my neighborhood that last up to two hours and never get bored. But, workouts online, DVD, or at the athletic club have me watching the clock after 30 minutes.
Old 06-29-18, 10:27 PM  
TinaT

I dropped down to 30 mins due to feeling like I had no energy left for the rest of my day. The energy factor is in part because of menopause. I am slowly working back up to atleast 40-45 min. There is no way I could do cardio like I used to for that long. My joints wouldn't hold up.

I am thinking of even doing a weight workout for 30 mins in the morning and then 30 mins of rebounding at night. Changing how I get my cardio has made me rethink how long I can workout. This thread if very timely.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote