Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-18, 11:04 AM  
cindyw75

I should also add that it depends on the workout. There are quite a few Cathe workouts that are right at the 45-60 minute mark, and I love them. The time flies, and I get a great workout. These tend to be kickboxing, where the intensity alternates, strength workouts, where the pace is slower. I find that if I'm doing cardio, for the most part I prefer 30 mins, and if I'm doing circuit workouts, I prefer nothing over 45 minutes. So, ultimately, it depends on the workout. I guess for me it's more about not feeling guilty at "just" doing 30 minutes.
cindyw75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-18, 11:09 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I like to workout for 1 - 2 hours most days. I love variety so I prefer shorter workouts so I can combine them.....cardio, Essentrics, barre, Pilates, yoga, MR. I usually do at least two 20 - 40 min workouts back to back.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-18, 11:14 AM  
BunnyHop

The longer workouts I have just don't seem to be organized in an efficient way.

Shorter ones get to the point and stay focused.

Also, if I want variety, it's easier to mix and match shorter segments together.
Old 06-28-18, 11:28 AM  
kathym
VF Supporter

If I work out longer than an hour I am usually combining types of workouts. I combine weights, kettlebells, yoga, barre, aerobics, and rebounding.
Old 06-28-18, 12:10 PM  
bubbles76

Tiny Bubble . Otherwise I would workout an hour a day, every day. There is only time for that Thursday-Sunday.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-18, 01:19 PM  
buffmama

I also combine different types of workouts. 30-45 minutes leaves me time to do some pilates and yoga also. When I have the time, I use it and will do more.
Old 06-28-18, 01:42 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
The longer workouts I have just don't seem to be organized in an efficient way.

Shorter ones get to the point and stay focused.

Also, if I want variety, it's easier to mix and match shorter segments together.
Lannette
See my profile for info on relationships with various video distributors.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss

Last edited by Lannette; 06-28-18 at 02:28 PM. Reason: I meant to quote BunnyHop so I switched the quote
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-18, 01:50 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Working more than full-time and raising active teens. If I had more time I would, but gosh, fitting 30 mins in the morning is a consistent challenge.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-18, 02:12 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
were we just collectively that much younger, with fewer kids and work responsibilities, and a lot more energy?
This. There are tons of threads about how people scale back workouts as they get older because they can't do impact, heavy weights, etc. I'm sort of the opposite. I started running in my late 30s and that's my main exercise now because it's easy on the brain.

I used to love long, dancy workouts but just don't have the attention span for them now. It seems like in my endurance check-in, those of us with older children and more work flexibility CAN do more. My children are still relatively young and I work full-time, so my schedule and attention span are somewhat limited.

I don't get rid of those long workouts though because I can do bits and pieces and have aspirations of someday doing them in their entirety!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-18, 05:21 PM  
dianestjohn

I used to almost always do an hour a day; then 45 or 30 minute workouts came into style and I love them. When I try to do some of my older hour-long workouts I feel like they waste time, they move more slowly, there's more time between moves, or the instructor tries to make up some moves to fill time towards the end (yes, Billy Blanks, I'm looking at you ). 45 minutes is perfect for me, I feel like a lot can get packed into itand there is time for a good warmup, which I think is crucial. Some 30 or 20 minute workouts don't spend enough time on a warmup which to me makes the whole workout feel hard. Cathe does it perfectly, even with a 45 minute workout her warmups are plenty long enough and are usually challenging in their own way so they are really part of the workout.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote