Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-22-20, 01:04 PM  
sherry7899

I love reading old posts, which is why I miss the search function. I can find some threads using a tag search or Google, but that doesn't always work.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-20, 01:36 PM  
antbuko

I would definitely contribute financially toward a software upgrade. I'm fine with the look and feel of the current forum, but the software is no longer supported, so the upgrade is necessary. I would also be willing to take on moderator duties and contribute to software maintenance. If we migrate, we will lose all of our history and I hate to say it, but VF will not survive a migration to a new board. You'll have something, but it won't be VF and it won't be as good.

What is the best way for us to approach Wendy about this? I'm proposing that we request new software and moderators. Is there anything else? Also, do you think there would be any reason for Wendy not to allow it?
Old 10-22-20, 01:38 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
I would definitely contribute financially toward a software upgrade. I'm fine with the look and feel of the current forum, but the software is no longer supported, so the upgrade is necessary. I would also be willing to take on moderator duties and contribute to software maintenance. If we migrate, we will lose all of our history and I hate to say it, but VF will not survive a migration to a new board. You'll have something, but it won't be VF and it won't be as good.

What is the best way for us to approach Wendy about this? I'm proposing that we request new software and moderators. Is there anything else? Also, do you think there would be any reason for Wendy not to allow it?
I tried to talk with her about this last year. i wish you luck and hope you make some headway.

I was logged out of this forum about a month ago and couldn't get back on, even with a password reset. The upgrade is seriously needed.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-20, 01:59 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I am someone who previously offered to activate new members and manually screen out the bots, etc. (I do this throughout the day for another forum I'm a mod on.)

However, one consequence of activating new members might mean more "traffic" in general on the boards. More activity, posts, threads, more views, etc. I didn't realize this can actually become an issue for some forums and maybe it's not a concern for VF but I thought I would mention it as a possibility.

I only know this because on the other forum I mod on, the main admin/founder of the site is now being pressured by the site hosting company she uses to upgrade to a private hosting plan (which is more expensive monthly) because our little forum is apparently generating too much traffic for the plan it's currently on. (And FWIW, the other site I mod on has much less posting activity than VF. Not sure about how many views and activity it attracts from people who don't post.)

I hesitate to even bring this up because I don't know if it's even a concern for VF or Wendy. I don't know much about how this all works.

An added issue on the other site I mod on is that unlike VF, it gets very few donations from members, so basically the site founder has to pay for any site maintenance, forum software updates (and she only updates when absolutely forced to), and now the potential increased cost of private hosting. Meanwhile on this other site, we've just learned to accept the "kinks" like there's a quote function issue that's been going on for a couple years now that is pretty intolerable, but we manage.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-20, 02:17 PM  
antbuko

Dawn, it sounds like there is a lot more to it than we all here are aware of. And it sounds like many of us have already approached Wendy and volunteered to help in various ways. My low key fear is that one day the board will crash without warning and we just won't have access anymore.
Old 10-22-20, 03:16 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
Dawn, it sounds like there is a lot more to it than we all here are aware of. And it sounds like many of us have already approached Wendy and volunteered to help in various ways. My low key fear is that one day the board will crash without warning and we just won't have access anymore.
I've thought about this too. Maybe we should have a backup plan and agree to all meet on some other site in case that happens?
Old 10-22-20, 03:31 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I've thought about this too. Maybe we should have a backup plan and agree to all meet on some other site in case that happens?
I hope VF never goes away but if something happened to VF, I don't do facebook, so maybe the tapatalk forum connected with totalfitnessdvds would be an option at least as a meeting place where people could talk about "where to go from here"? Anyways, just my 2 cents since I don't do facebook. I hate even talking about the "what if" but that's probably where I would go to potentially find out where people migrated to since I'm not on facebook.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-20, 04:37 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I hope VF never goes away but if something happened to VF, I don't do facebook, so maybe the tapatalk forum connected with totalfitnessdvds would be an option at least as a meeting place where people could talk about "where to go from here"? Anyways, just my 2 cents since I don't do facebook. I hate even talking about the "what if" but that's probably where I would go to potentially find out where people migrated to since I'm not on facebook.
I think this is a good quick emergency solution

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-20, 06:10 PM  
Buzzer

I have been wondering if VF would be gone some day when I log in. I stopped paying my yearly support when the board seemed like it was no longer being moderated, people were getting nasty without any repercussions, and it seemed like things were sliding downhill.

Now that the search feature is not working, and I also have had intermittent times where I can't post (get an error message when I try to submit the post and it lasts for a week or more) I am less inclined to pay to support the site if I am not seeing a benefit.

I love VF, however I am one that is hiding in check ins. We do need new members, whether that's by "invite only" or a very heavy handed vetting process, we do need them. People fall into boards and out, and if more people fall out and not back in, VF will die quicker than it is now.

I love the look of VF, I love discussions of new DVD's, even though they are few and far between.. but what I use VF most for anymore is searching for threads about workouts I have in my collection and want to do, and check ins.

When the search doesn't work, that's about half of what I use VF for.

I feel pretty abandoned here at the site, and seriously think that we will disappear one day. I have thought about having a back up plan for my check in friends. Maybe I should get on that!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-20, 10:53 PM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

I never thought about one day VF might be gone due to software problems or something. I am on VF every day several times a day to see what is going on. I hardly post. But I enjoy everyone else's post. I look on some folks like old friends.

Tags
abandonware, forum issues, glitches, internal server error, search malfunction, vf future, vf roost, vf site issues