Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-20, 12:42 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I was handling this pandemic thing fairly well. I can work from home as can my husband. My daughter's semester got cut short but she has a home to study remotely from and my son and his wife managed to stay employed as well. We have been very careful and have stayed healthy. I have no place complaining because there are so many people who have been devastated by this tragedy. Plus I am kind of anti-social to begin with so the isolation didn't bother me much. I do however miss seeing my son and DIL.

Now I am just so fed up with the way people are acting. Like many others have said if there was a national strategy and people listened to experts we could have been back to almost normal by now albeit with some modifications. I was reading an item in the Washington Post " 'We have given up on defeating the pandemic'-readers grapple with the country's reopening" One guy from Florida stated that he made sacrifices to flatten the curve and now his return to work is being delayed because of the resurgence. He feels like his efforts were not honored by selfish people who squandered hard earned gains. I feel the same way. The people who follow the rules get screwed by people who can't pass the marshmallow test.
This is exactly how I feel.

Kiwichick - if only we had that mind set here. As I was saying to my DD the other day - this thing is "pay me now, or pay me later with interest". I think we should have gone in for the burst of pain and gotten through it - b/c we're paying the price now plus interest.

Donna
Old 07-27-20, 01:10 PM  
Lori_Michigan

My state sucks. The non-maskers and the 20-somethings have ruined any chance of normalcy. Grow up and just wear a mask. As I said before, I lost two extended family members quite quickly from covid in the start of April. They were in their early 60s and in good health. They were gone in 10 days. This was before masks were even being talked about. I wear a mask in their honor, no exceptions. I even wear two sometimes when I go out in public.

The non-maskers have a choice to wear a mask. I didn't choose to have an underlying blood clotting disorder, and neither did my father or son. My husband didn't choose to be asthmatic, nor did his father. But at least we are aware we have underlying conditions. I'd have to guess a lot of the general population aren't even aware they could have underlying conditions. I wish the non-maskers could just wear a mask to protect the vulnerable among us, and that could even be the fellow non-maskers. But just like everything else, good luck trying to get anyone from any side to change their mind.

I can't imagine if people in my state had to actually sacrifice more than wearing a damn mask when going out or not getting together in huge parties. I am not proud to be a Michigander these days.
Old 07-27-20, 01:45 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

My heart goes out to everyone here who has lost a loved one or loved ones.
Old 07-28-20, 07:17 AM  
suzannaerin

The only way another country will likely let an American immigrate is if you are a refugee.

I'm quoting someone else but I thought it spot on: "This rage is sometimes portrayed as love of freedom. ..... What they call “freedom” is actually absence of responsibility." I think this sums up the refusal to wear masks and social distance. Severe selfishness and a lack of civic responsibility.

Where I live, most people are careful about wearing masks. There are exceptions and those exceptions usually are "in your face" about their non-compliance.

My boss --- this weekend --- made a comment about my practice of strictly enforcing our leadership's policies about mask wearing, not letting people who are sick come into work, etc. This is because I didn't let an employee come in to work after she called off sick due to gastrointestinal problems (I told her to get a COVID test). The implication from my boss's comment: I'm being too strict. Well, I am "in charge" every other week, while he is self-isolating, so when I'm the boss, I'm responsible for the health/well being of everyone in the office. I told him that he could have her return during HIS weeks, if he wanted.

This and the outside-of-the-office behavior of the staff has me seriously considering retirement. Vacations to the beach, plane rides to visit family in hot spots, etc. I've been eligible for the last 18 months but I love my work and don't want to go.
Old 07-28-20, 07:33 AM  
donnamp

Suzanne - I think you hit the nail on the head - apparently people don't realize that w/ freedom comes responsibility! That is awful about your boss.

Donna
Old 07-28-20, 08:33 AM  
Marylandmom
VF Supporter

I have yet to run into anyone who refuses to wear a mask. I will say this pandemic has really shown the selfishness of people. My nephew just got over the Covid. We found out after the fact that a fellow employee was sick with the Covid and went into work and that's how my nephew got infected. To make matters worse, a relative of said person knew about it and didn't contact his employer. My nephew's parents are furious, they had to get tested and luckily their test came back negative. Thank God my nephew didn't have severe symptoms (severe headaches and loss of taste).

I work for a law firm and am blessed that I can work from home. Once the office is open, which may not be until next year, there will be strict protocols set in place such as taking temperatures before you come in the office and once you get in the office. If temp is above a certain point you will be sent home. There are some arrogant attorneys already complaining that it's against their rights....REALLY. (No offence to practicing attorneys here).
Old 07-28-20, 08:36 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

We - using the collective we - are an incredibly selfish and spoiled people. I hate to see what would happen if we had a World War II type event. Our generation and younger could never make the sacrifices that my parents' generation made.

Carol
Old 07-28-20, 09:43 AM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
We - using the collective we - are an incredibly selfish and spoiled people. I hate to see what would happen if we had a World War II type event. Our generation and younger could never make the sacrifices that my parents' generation made.

Carol
I completely agree. Not to mention the depression as well. In my town there are many and I mean many very large historic homes that were built as single family homes. Many of them are now multi family homes and well cared for. During the depression owners of these large historic houses divided these houses up into smaller "homes" for those who lost their jobs and homes due to the depression. As you walk by its hard not to think of the history in these homes and what went on during the depression and how the kindness of strangers saved peoples lives.
Old 07-28-20, 12:44 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Carol
No kid would sign up to fight overseas unless the war zone had WiFi!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 07-28-20, 01:08 PM  
suzannaerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
No kid would sign up to fight overseas unless the war zone had WiFi!
Or if they didn't get danger pay, OT for any minute over 8 hrs/day, and several paid R&Rs during their tour of duty.
Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, face masks, masks, pandemic, what a drag it is