Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-19, 12:50 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Yeah, I have Barbara's O'Neal's new book on my wish list. It seems like awhile since she came out with something. Of course, do I remember when her last one came out? Probably not...

Has anyone here read The Blue Mind by Wallace Nichols? It's a book about the changes to the brain being by water brings. It's supposed to be petty interesting.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-19, 03:12 PM  
Gams

Has anyone read Rules for Visiting or The Nickel Boys?
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-19, 05:29 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I am currently reading several different yoga-themed mystery series and have some comments/questions.

First, I just finished Murder Likes it Hot, the sixth book in Tracy Weber's "Downward Dog Mystery" series. This was disappointing compared to the other books in the series. Why are these main characters always so unlikable? I also found several things in this book extremely unrealistic to the point of being almost offensive.

I have read all four books in Diana Killian's "Mantra for Murder" series. The last one was back in 2011--does anyone know if she will be writing more of these? I did like them, although again, the main character wasn't always likable--and the huge yoga studio in the small town didn't seem very realistic either.

I though Michelle Kelly's "Keeley Carpenter" yoga books were decent, but there have only been two, with the last one in 2017--again, does anyone know if there will be more?

Has anyone read any of Neal Pollack's "Matt Bolster Yoga Mystery" series? I read Pollack's memoir, and although it was a bit self-indulgent, I would be willing to try this series. But it looks like this series has only 2 books also?

And how about these books?
Corpse Pose, Indeed: Book 1 in The Yoga Mat Cozy Mystery series (1st book)Dead Men Don't Pose: A Ginger Frye Private Eye Yoga Mystery (Volume 1) (1st of 8? books)

And if there are others you know of/would recommend, I'm interested!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-19, 06:02 PM  
Gams

I am halfway through The Nickel Boys - it’s good.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-19, 06:24 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I am currently reading several different yoga-themed mystery series and have some comments/questions.

First, I just finished Murder Likes it Hot, the sixth book in Tracy Weber's "Downward Dog Mystery" series. This was disappointing compared to the other books in the series. Why are these main characters always so unlikable? I also found several things in this book extremely unrealistic to the point of being almost offensive.

I have read all four books in Diana Killian's "Mantra for Murder" series. The last one was back in 2011--does anyone know if she will be writing more of these? I did like them, although again, the main character wasn't always likable--and the huge yoga studio in the small town didn't seem very realistic either.

I though Michelle Kelly's "Keeley Carpenter" yoga books were decent, but there have only been two, with the last one in 2017--again, does anyone know if there will be more?

Has anyone read any of Neal Pollack's "Matt Bolster Yoga Mystery" series? I read Pollack's memoir, and although it was a bit self-indulgent, I would be willing to try this series. But it looks like this series has only 2 books also?

And how about these books?
Corpse Pose, Indeed: Book 1 in The Yoga Mat Cozy Mystery series (1st book)Dead Men Don't Pose: A Ginger Frye Private Eye Yoga Mystery (Volume 1) (1st of 8? books)

And if there are others you know of/would recommend, I'm interested!
There was supposed to be a 5th book in the “Mantra for Murder” series titled Hot Yoga, Cold Case but Diana Killian has posted somewhere online that she no longer feels comfortable combining yoga and murder so she isn’t going to finish the series.

I asked Michelle Kelly on Goodreads about the Keeley Carpenter series and she replied that the publisher had discontinued the series.

I read a couple of the Ginger Frye books and wasn’t that impressed. Same with Neal Pollack’s books. They were just okay and the first one was weird. There are only 2 books in the series.

I just got Corpse Pose, Indeed. I haven’t had a chance to read it yet.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-19, 06:29 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Wow, Sissy, I think you answered ALL of my questions--thank you! Interesting about Killian's decision, and too bad about Michelle Kelly's series (which I kind of liked with the different venue of being set in England). I guess I'll wait for your impressions of the new series.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 08-10-19, 11:18 PM  
Severen

Just finished "The Outsider" by Stephen King

Now I'm reading "I Will Find You" by Joe Kenda and "The Woman in the Window" by A.J. Finn
Old 08-11-19, 05:23 AM  
Dabbadooey

I'm currently reading Mrs. Everything by Jennifer Weiner, and I like it a lot. I'm also reading some youth fiction, The War Below, which is in the Makng Bombs for Hitler trilogy by Marsha Skrypuch. It is excellent.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-19, 06:08 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
I'm currently reading Mrs. Everything by Jennifer Weiner, and I like it a lot. I'm also reading some youth fiction, The War Below, which is in the Makng Bombs for Hitler trilogy by Marsha Skrypuch. It is excellent.
I read Making Bombs for Hitler but didn't realize it was part of a trilogy! I'll have to look into that.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-19, 11:03 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Severen did you like The Outsider? I read it last summer and enjoyed it, although I thought it was somewhat uneven. I did like the appearance of characters from Mr. Mercedes trilogy. I am trying to decide whether to read the book he wrote with his son Owen, Sleeping Beauties; I'm not sure if I would like that one.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, summer reading