Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 04-19-24, 01:59 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

All I know is that when I try to lower my food intake while doing vigorous exercise, I end up getting sick. So I would like to discuss how to eat while doing a rotation. If we can't discuss it here, I would be interested in some book titles if anyone has good recommendations or ideas.
Old 04-19-24, 02:05 PM  
prettyinpink

The struggle is real. Wanting to gain muscle without also gaining weight that is then HARD to take off. Perimenopausal and older woman metabolism challenges. Not sure how exactly how much to fuel increased intensity when it also lowers my appetite. First world problems, of course.

I’m not sure that there is a specific book and an answer for me. I think t’s more trial and error. And then not knowing exactly what worked and what didn’t, because how to also account for slight changes in sleep, activity, stress at the same time?!
Old 04-19-24, 03:45 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I don’t think anyone is saying that diet isn’t an important part of fitness and health, and yes, many of us struggle with maintaining weight and muscle and finding a balance among all the factors. For me my objection to any rule changes re specific diets is that I think it’s a lot for moderators to manage a forum without threads blowing up when a few posters start a flame war that derails a thread that was previously civilized. It happens here on a variety of topics, even those who aren’t controversial on the surface.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
Old 04-19-24, 05:55 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Jeannine, I always forget about the forum at MFP. Do you know if it's a separate login or the same as your regular account? Thanks!
it might be the same login, and you can always read their forum w/o logging in. i've never used it to log meals because I wanted to just read the forum. i've posted a few times.

they have a Success Stories forum, a bodybuilding one.... really great.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 04-19-24, 06:39 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

For many reasons already mentioned by others, I like the no diet rule here.

FWIW, I think a subforum that allows diet talk would make life difficult for moderators because threads in General Discussion occasionally veer into diet territory (rarely, but mainly intermittent fasting the past few years it seems).

I think it would get complicated for mods to determine when a General Discussion thread veers too off-path into "diet" and thus belongs more in a diet subforum.

Sorry, I know it was just a possible idea thrown out there about having a subforum, but I thought I'd give my 2 cents why I think that could get tricky.
Old 04-19-24, 06:58 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
it might be the same login, and you can always read their forum w/o logging in. i've never used it to log meals because I wanted to just read the forum. i've posted a few times.

they have a Success Stories forum, a bodybuilding one.... really great.
Thanks, Jeannine! I looked at it some earlier today but didn't try logging in. Not that I need a fourth forum!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 04-20-24, 10:51 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
toaster posted an awesome (and easy) soup recipe there that I make a lot! The forum is Recipe Box. I’d love to see more activity there!
So glad you like it! Is it the Pumpkin Thai Soup? I might have gotten that off an can of evaporated milk. I should make it more often myself because it is so easy!

Yes, it would be great if the "Recipe Box" section was used more - I'd love more discussions around that! And yes, it's also my impression that food, eating, weight loss, and even the word DIET are all fine topic-wise (I've always been amazed that people think they have to type "D**T" or things like that). I believe those things are easily distinguished from what is not okay, including specific talk about diets/supplements, types of diets, how diet leads to weight loss (in fact, there is already too much of the last point here than I would prefer).

That being said, I think anyone who has been around VF awhile clearly notices that there is... shall we say less regulation since Wendy has been gone? So some diet talk is likely to slip through. Personally, I appreciate when posters are respectful of this boundary and say things like "I lost weight by following a diet - PM me if you want more info" or "I'm taking a supplement that might help - PM if you want details." That gives users a choice whether to engage in further exploration/discussion, and it prevents (or at least helps to prevent) diet from becoming a contentious topic.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
Old 04-20-24, 01:55 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

toaster, yes, that’s the recipe! This discussion reminded me that since we’ve had hot weather I haven’t made it in awhile. I have the ingredients and plan to make it tomorrow! Funny you got the recipe from the evaporated milk can. I’ve found some great recipes on boxes and the like—seems crazy but I’m sure they test those recipes endlessly to make sure they are good.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
Old 04-20-24, 03:35 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
I frequent other fitness boards and diet talk doesn't get heated.
I noticed that too, and wondered if on other boards, the mod/owner simply deletes heated threads, rather than here, where they get locked and you can only find them by accident.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.

Tags
diet talk, vf future