Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-06-06, 05:24 AM  
ldy_solana

oooo made it hard with the no cathe didn't ya? LOL, anyway i agree with the firms and mindy mylrea. mindy mylrea is defiently a challenging and her workouts i have tried really work the legs. i tried strength express(which is on a dvd with 2 other workouts) and awesome strength. both use medicine balls, body bars, gliders(or paper plates) and awesome strength you can use a step or bosu. the firms are just classics and the leg presses are the best thing for the glutes IMO.

kassia
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-06, 05:52 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Another vote for Tom Holland Total Body dvd. I also like Gin Miller Simply Strong and the Body Bar series. Good luck!
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-06, 06:43 AM  
sundari

I would suggest Gin Miller's "Simply Strong", "Bella Strength Vol.1" and "Simply Endurance.

Also you might like The Firm "Variety" with Pam Cauthen.
Old 09-06-06, 08:29 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B
No mentions of the Firm? Have they fallen that far off the radar?

Of the ones on DVD, I still like Firm Strength, Tough Tape 2, Total Body Shaping Mix and BSS1 Body Sculpt. I also like Tortoise and Tough Tape but they are VHS only.

You might also like the KickButt DVD.
I agree, the first thing that came to mind was the Firm. Some things just never go out of style (well, for ME at least! LOL). I just did Maximum Body Sculpting, with Tracie Long, yesterday for the first time in forEVER, but found it to be a good workout. Fun and a bit different from the gym-style, which I also like. There were some compound moves, but nothing fancy.

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-06, 10:14 AM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

In addition to all of the workouts already mentioned, I also recommend Donna Read's All Out Strength. It's on a DVD with a step workout and a yoga workout. AOS is about 65 minutes and a great total body workout.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-06, 11:14 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Combine Kathy Smith's Secrets set.

It's two workouts, but I like to combine Kathys Smith's Secrets set into one total body workout. I do the lower body one first, skipping the cooldown and then skip the warm-up of the upper body one and go right into it. You get a thorough workout in an hour. Both workouts are now on one dvd (along with a short cardio) called Super Slimdown Circuit.
Old 09-06-06, 11:19 AM  
bfit

You could also look into Kathy Smith. I still like the original Lift Weights to Lose Weight. There is also her newer Lift Weights to Lose Weight 2. I also think Tamilee Webb's I Want Those series is good.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-06, 01:15 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Kathy Smith's Full Body Circuit is excellent. love that workout. it's from the Project You set.

David Kirsch, if you can stand him, has 2 good ones that i have tried - Ultimate New York Body Plan (has several workouts to choose from on this disc) and Sound Mind Sound Body (45 min).

Tony Horton - Sculpt 5-6 from P90m clocks in at 45 min.

the BodyBars - as Laura mentioned, are good.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-06, 01:40 PM  
roleez
VF Supporter

Icey, you didn't misread. I knew she said she didn't click with Cathe's stuff but I just love Cathe's strength training so much, I didn't want her to miss out just because she had only tried the one Slow & Heavy (which I personally didn't click with either).

But you guys have all given some really good alternatives so that's really good. I would have to definitely agree with Mindy Myrlea, Extreme Intervals/Pump Party (if you can stand her chit-chat, which I don't mind). Also the consumer version of BodyPump has good music & mixes up the count quite a bit to keep it interesting. Another good one for me is the CIA (don't remember the #) Powerbar Training with Shannon & Alison Boyd Anderson (Anderson sisters, I can't keep their last names straight). It's long but good.

I hope you find some workouts that click with you & let us know
roleez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-06, 01:54 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roleez
But you guys have all given some really good alternatives so that's really good. I would have to definitely agree with Mindy Myrlea, Extreme Intervals/Pump Party (if you can stand her chit-chat, which I don't mind). Also the consumer version of BodyPump has good music & mixes up the count quite a bit to keep it interesting. Another good one for me is the CIA (don't remember the #) Powerbar Training with Shannon & Alison Boyd Anderson (Anderson sisters, I can't keep their last names straight). It's long but good.
I don't think any of these are on DVD, are they?

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body bar, bodybar, weighted bar