Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-06, 09:38 PM  
CarlaVeg

Best total body toning workout - Non Cathe & Non Jari

Hey guys,

I mostly do yoga, but I like to have a good toning DVD to do it once a week.... my husband got a new HD TV and all my VHS' look terrible.... so I want to get a good total body toning workout DVD. Any ideas? I tried Cathe and Jari and they are ok, but no my favorite.... I'd like to hear about any other instructors!!!

Thanks

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 09:52 PM  
suegy3

What don't you like about Cathe and Jari? That could help people provide good choices to you.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 09:55 PM  
CarlaVeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3
What don't you like about Cathe and Jari? That could help people provide good choices to you.
I only tried Jari Slim & Lean and found it boring.... Cathe... I don't know.... I just didn't click with the tape.... I have IMAX2 and Strong legs and abs.... good workouts but I couldn't get into them.
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 10:05 PM  
roleez
VF Supporter

You should definitely try a different Cathe other than her Slow & Heavy & Pure Strength series - I don't ever do those. I think they're just too dated for me to get past, though I have heard many rave about these workouts. Try Muscle Max or Muscle Endurance for a great Cathe workout that's not boring at all, IMO.
roleez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 11:25 PM  
icey

Carla already stated that she is not clicking with Jari or Cathe, or did I misread? So, I am reading that she want input or direction to other instructors and does not have the desire at this time to purchase another Cathe or Jari. Let me know if I misread this.

Have you tried Mindy Myrlea's Strength Express, a good full body workout. Mindy also has other strength workouts. Also, Patrick's Body Design (which uses a body bar) and Kitchen Sink Conditioning (using all kinds of resistance tools, and can be modified), and he has a new workout coming out the end of the week called Dumb Training (using dumbells). Both are good solid workouts. Keli Roberts Body Bar workouts are very good and her circuit workout, Step it Strong is really good. Many like Kimberly Spreen's Progressive Strength, it gets good ratings, I have not tried it but many VF'ers like this workout. Kelly Coffey-Meyers Shape of Things to Come is a very well balanced, cued and fun circuit workout. Out of all the other advanced instructors, I really like her alot. Finally, I like Amy Bento's A Team Bootcamp, a full circuit workout with very basic cardio that does get your heartrate up, and good solid strength circuit-styled workouts. Hope this helps.
Old 09-05-06, 11:51 PM  
Mary09

I like Minna Lessig's 'One Minute Workout' and Tamilee Webb's 'I Want That Body'. Both are very flexible as far as length of workout and if you feel like just doing upper, lower or abs. Or if you think you might like a man better, Silk Manning's 'Aero-pump' is a compact workout, as is Tom Holland's 'Total Body Workout'. These are all inexpensive, by the way.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-06, 12:18 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

No mentions of the Firm? Have they fallen that far off the radar?

Of the ones on DVD, I still like Firm Strength, Tough Tape 2, Total Body Shaping Mix and BSS1 Body Sculpt. I also like Tortoise and Tough Tape but they are VHS only.

You might also like the KickButt DVD.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-06, 12:23 AM  
icey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B
No mentions of the Firm? Have they fallen that far off the radar?

Of the ones on DVD, I still like Firm Strength, Tough Tape 2, Total Body Shaping Mix and BSS1 Body Sculpt. I also like Tortoise and Tough Tape but they are VHS only.
Yes, Sue is correct here. I totally forgot about The Firm. I still rotate Tough Tape 2 and BBS1 Body Sculpt through. That BBS1 w/Jen Carmen is tough.
Old 09-06-06, 01:19 AM  
lynnem3
VF Supporter

Besides all the great choices already mentioned . . .

You might want to try Tone It Up or Mix It Up from Slim Series if you like a high rep/low weight approach, although many people might define these as boring! Also, TLT workouts are total body workouts with a functional fitness emphasis. I've only tried Strength In Movement so far, but really like this workout.
Old 09-06-06, 03:08 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Of the Body Bar workouts, I like the Body Bar Challenge as a more traditional-style strength workout with body bars. Deep Definition is a current favorite and has a functional fitness style or twist.

The Firm workouts are ones that come and go in my rotation, but that I will always keep. Maximum Body Sculpting, Tough Tape 2, and Super Body Sculpt are favorites.

Mindy Mylrea's Pump Party (CIA 2101) is a true favorite of mine. It's effective and fun and not super long. I also find her Strength Express workout to be flexible and useful.

For split workouts, I like Gilad's Legs and Arms of Steel. They are targeted toward men, but work great for women as well. I also like his Step & Tone for a high-rep, low-weight workout that gives me cardio as well as strength (simultaneously, not alternating as with circuit workouts).

Karen Voight's DVD Ultimate Circuit Training is really flexible and gives different options on how you can use it with various premixes. It's a circuit workout I always use as a stength workout without the cardio. She gives really good form pointers.

Gin Miller is a current favorite. I have and use her Bella Strength workout and her Simply Strong DVD. I really like the pacing of her workouts (not frantic like a lot of them) and she gives good form pointers as well.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
body bar, bodybar, weighted bar