Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-14-06, 05:08 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talie
Here is a nice explanation of ashtanga along with pictures of the poses (particularly in the second, third and fourth series links at the bottom of the page). The practices are very vigorous and definitely have a cardio effect.
Yes, I would say ashtanga definitely has cardio effect -- especially when you include the jumpups, jumpbacks and jumpthroughs. You have to have a mysore style teacher to get the full benefit though, in my opinion.

ETA: it's not only ashtanga either -- here's a nice article from Yoga Journal about famous Iyengarian John Schumacher and his own fitness level vis a vis yoga.

http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/739_1.cfm
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 05:13 PM  
twodiffsocks

Hi Ya'll,

thought i'd put in my .02 cents.

I lost 40lbs due to cardio 6 days a week --i used the treadmill & did Tae Bo original set & the 1st Live series. Strength trained 2-3 times a week and did yoga 1 time per week for several years after 2 babies that are 5 years apart.

I recently (last year) gained 10lb bach & currently working on that slice of heaven *snorts*

My basic mythology on fitness is simple: A Pentagon, to leave 1 out makes an imbalance. One needs a changed outlook; from d**t to Healthy Lifestyle, Positive outlook in one's self. Strength training, Flexibility & Cardio. Short, sweet & to the point.

Hope This Helps.

"There ain't no rest for the wicked,
Money don't grow on trees.
I got bills to pay,
I got mouths to feed,
There ain't nothing in this world for free.
I know I can't slow down,
I can't hold back,
Though you know, I wish I could.
No there ain't no rest for the wicked,
Until we close our eyes for good".
Ain't No Rest For The Wicked -Cage The Elephant

"I dare you to do better." Christopher Pike
Start Trek {2009}

twodiffsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 05:37 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

I do cardio for my heart and lungs...and for those "almost atomic level" changes (positive) that Charlene Prickett mentions as well as the endurance I need to stay on the go all day! I do strength because I need to be strong to make my everday chores easier, build shapely muscles (yes, I want to look great!!! Why not!!!), and keep my bones strong (blessed with genes for strong, "non-osteoporosis-inclined bones!).

My body seems to respond to whatever exercises I do...killer cardio does however wear me out, predispose me to more colds and just plain feeling "sick". These days, I prefer to separate my cardio from strength...just eases the stress so I can concentrate on either the weights OR the cardio. Except I really like my Firms and TLT's

Now about weightloss...that's all diet...and dealing with my thyroid it seems. And with diet, it's all about HOW MUCH I'm eating...never mind the ratio of carbs vs. proteins vs. whatever. I eat too much, I gain (and it don't take much right now); if I eat "reasonable", I can lose.

As for the neighbor who is dieting and losing all that weight...yeah, she's losing precious, valuable muscle. I'm afraid she'll regret what she's doing and one day will be fighting over old ground, hopefully with a better, healthier program.

Krista, lift those weights, do some interval along with the steady state stuff! Do what YOU love...and God love you, girl, good luck!!!
Old 06-14-06, 05:39 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Wow!

I can see how that would keep the heart up, not so much "cardio" but definitely heart pumping, which isn't necessarily the same thing. As in your heart goes nuts with weights also, but it isn't cardio.

Are they doing these poses in a "flow", or are they practiced one at a time and held for long periods? I apologize, I'm sure that somewhere in the article is my answer, but I am taking the quickie way out by asking, LOL.

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 05:48 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Just had to point out the guy in Cathe's levitation pose!!! Wow, I'm impressed! If this is what Gywneth Paltrow (sorry I butchered the poor lady's name!) is into, no wonder she's in good shape!!!
Old 06-14-06, 06:10 PM  
KathAL79

Interesting thread. Thanks for all of the thoughts.

I have been wondering lately about the cardio vs. weights for calories burned since many of the (granted, very basic) fitness calculators I've toyed with sometimes have the two activities come out the same in terms of calories burned. Obviously I shouldn't swear by those since they're not particularly accurate because they're not on me judging my every move, but it has made me realize that even if certain physical activities are better than others for whatever purpose, any physical activity is better than none, and there's no need to write off something I love just because it doesn't give me the most calories burned per minute or whatever. At the same time, any activity can become more intense if you put your mind into it.

Just a caution about idolizing celebrities. Not only have many of them hit the gene jackpot, but some of them work out for hours (a few in secret--trying for the allusion that they're just naturally "perfect") with personal trainers and have personal chefs cooking their every meals. Not realistic for the rest of us...
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 06:34 PM  
dnk
VF Supporter

A few years ago, I had an interview at a health club to teach yoga and Pilates. I felt like I wanted to lose a few pounds, so for one week I did more cardio than usual, to the detriment of my yoga and Pilates practices (yes, I see the irony). In about six days, I lost six pounds (and no, I didn't do anything extreme or otherwise with my diet- I might have lost more if I had). However, my lower back was bugging me in a big way. It was nice in the short term, but I can't sacrifice my resistance training, whatever it may be. I've also had "results" when I've upped my weights, particularly for my lower body. And the full Pilates mat sequence, done at the clip Joseph Pilates recommended, has me sweating and working to control my breath. I credit that with helping to get off the baby weight last year.

In Strength Training on the Ball, Colleen Craig quoted Miriam Nelson, who noted that a lot of times when women lose weight, they aren't just losing fat and water but also muscle and more importantly bone. That thought has certainly given me pause.

I've found some yoga practices have a weight loss effect on me, even the Bikram sequence (practiced without heat and with postures only done once). I think there is a cardio effect with a lot of yoga practices, particularly ashtanga, but never having worn a heart rate monitor while practicing, I couldn't tell you how much or how little. I can say that because of the inversions in the sun salutations, I wouldn't want my heart rate to get to more than 65% of my maximum heart rate. Also, when I practice anything beyond "stretchy" yoga, my appetite usually increases, whereas more intense cardio usually tends to suppress my appetite.

I don't think there is a magic formula- in fact, a lot of people who have lost weight with one method or combination have found that the second time around it's not as effective but something else is. You have to experiment with both your food intake and your exercise program to find what works and what you can live with.

Deb
dnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-06, 05:39 AM  
Bebop

[QUOTE=.

As for the neighbor who is dieting and losing all that weight...yeah, she's losing precious, valuable muscle. I'm afraid she'll regret what she's doing and one day will be fighting over old ground, hopefully with a better, healthier program.

!!![/QUOTE]

I forgot about that. The fitness trainers on the show said that too.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-06, 07:56 AM  
Kyra

Yeah, on the neighbor that is losing weight: in dieting without weight lifting, you lose about 75% fat and 25% muscle - relatively more fat if you're relatively more overweight, and relatively more muscle if you're leaner. So while diet alnoe might "work," it's a bit of throwing the baby out with the bath water.

That ashtanga stuff is ! Damn. And I get accused of being flexible... Pretty intense. That has to be a blast to play with.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-06, 05:04 PM  
hannahsmom

Along with everything you've already read, I find that mixing things up is another good point to consider. I hate to admit it but if I don't watch what I put in my mouth this is key for me. Plus strength training 3x a week, cardio 3-5 times a week (usually a mix of things - cardio coach interval on treadmill, kickboxing, step) and pilates/yoga 2-3 times a week is what works for me. I think every body type is diff and you need to find out what works for you. For your neighbor that might be the key to weight loss eat less and no exercise. I just can't live that way and I exercise so I can eat a little more and be comfortable with myself without depriving who I am.
hannahsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body for life, cardio vs weights, weights only, weights vs cardio