Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-09-06, 03:08 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelzi
I kept telling myself I'd wait, but I caved and ordered it. I expect it to arrive today or tomorrow.
Aagh! I caved! I couldn't even wait for your review!

What *is* that thing where you just suddenly want to BUY something? I hate that. (Then, 'cause it's Amazon, you have to buy TWO things so you can get free shipping. So sad, I had to get Ravi & Ana's Beginners & Beyond too.)
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 03:36 PM  
keilan00

You can read a little more about the book at this site (description, Table of Contents, excerpt, back cover):
http://www.innertraditions.com/Produ...Detail&id=2161

The Yin Yoga Postures
Resting Pose
Half Butterfly
Butterfly
Square Pose
Shoelace
Seal
Saddle
Swan
Sleeping Swan
Forward Bend
Dragonfly
Frog
Spinal Twist
Final Relaxation
keilan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 07:48 PM  
chelzi

review

This kit is an excellent value for anyone new to Yin yoga and probably for those already familiar with it as well. It's very well designed and contains lots of information. I would probably not want to practice with this CD all that often, however.

As I mentioned upthread, I have Paul Grilley's book, Erin Fleming's CD, and Donna Helm-Yost's DVD, so these are my bases of comparison.

In an earlier VF thread, I think the one on Fleming's CD, someone suggested that the CD wouldn't be appropriate for complete beginners in Yin yoga without additional media such as Grilley's book. This kit definitely stands on its own

The book includes most but not all of the poses that Grilley's book does (keilan00 has already listed for us above which ones are included). It offers more modifications and more suggested practices than Grilley's book and generally contains more details on all the subjects Grilley covers (anatomy, mindfulness, chakras, etc.).

The flashcards are helpful references while practicing. They have pictures and descriptions of the poses and their modifications and explain the benefits of each pose in the book. They also include cautions about how not to put undue stress on various parts of the body and reminders about maintaining a pelvic tilt.

The CD may be the weakest part of the package. There is no music. As in the book and flashcards, there's a lot of explanation, but it may be more than you want listen to while trying to unwind. For some reason, Biff's voice reminds me of a calmer Andy Rooney (not a criticism, just an observation).

Not all poses in the book and flashcards are on the CD. It includes Half Butterfly, Seal, Frog, Shoelace, Saddle, Spinal Twist, and Final Relaxation. Each pose is held 5 minutes (on each side where necessary) with one minute between each pose. There is also a meditation track after Final Relaxation. Lastly, there's a track with no instruction, just a gong at timed intervals which you can use for your own practice. The CD is well chaptered, so you can choose which poses to include and order them as you'd like (and add in any not included by using the timed gong).

In short, this kit is an excellent resource and an excellent and affordable introduction to Yin yoga, but once you're familiar with its contents, I would recommend Fleming's CD as an audio practice.

One more note: The CD comes in a disposable plastic wrapper rather than in a sleeve or case, so you'll need one of your own.
chelzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-06, 10:31 AM  
laurajhawk

Chelzi, I'm glad to see your positive reaction, since Amazon shipped my copy today!

I figure I won't use the CD very often -- for one thing, the full practice is too long for most days, for me. I really like video/audio practices for vinyasa yoga, since it's hard to look at a book while you're flowing, but I figure the card set will be a fine alternative for yin yoga since it's an altogether slower practice. I also like that the book includes sequencing suggestions.

The CD track with the gong will be useful for me! Better than my alarm clock or the annoying kitchen timer.

I'm a happy camper -- Thanks for your help, Chelzi!
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 06:21 PM  
willwolf

I just recently got this one from Amazon. Last night, I read through some of the included book, and I'm planning on trying out the CD today. From what I've seen of the book and flashcards so far, I'd say this kit is a good value and makes a nice introduction to yin yoga. To the rest of you who are using this kit, what are your thoughts so far? Thanks!
willwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 08:47 PM  
behaha

I love Biff, and I love Yin Yoga. So far I've only done his practice, but I can never stop partway through like I think I'm going to -- I love to keep going and do the whole thing. I look forward to doing my own practice with the chime-track (chapter 13, with just the 5-minute-1-minute intervals) on repeat, maybe with some music. I checked it in my DVD player and the repeat function works well with this chapter.

I am an intermediate exerciser and very new to yoga. I can do poses from the biff cd much better every time I do the CD. Though he's very big on nothing being better or worse, I think improving my time in reclining hero (or whatever he calls it -- saddle, maybe?) is an improvement. That was the only move I couldn't stand for 5-whole-minutes at first.

I love Yin Yoga. Sometime during the five minutes of lying there, your hips kind of just GO and you relax places you didn't know had been tense.

Last edited by behaha; 09-13-06 at 08:48 PM. Reason: to get a bit more precise
behaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 10:42 PM  
willwolf

Very nice! I did the complete audio practice earlier tonight. I enjoyed the 5 minute length of the poses. Before starting this practice, I thought it might feel too long, but the time went by quickly. I probably won't always use the CD, but I think it's a good introductory tool for the kit. I can also see using just the cards with my own music. I'm happy with this purchase and think I'll get a lot from this kit.
willwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biff mithoefer, donna helm yost, erin fleming, yin yoga, yoga audios