Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-18-05, 06:44 AM  
ooty

Hmm..

Let me figure out gas costs and misc expenses to see if it is worthwhile a trip to Pittsburgh. On the other hand, a Hindu temple is there, SV temple. May be I will make an unplanned visit, may be God is calling me to see him in Pitt. hills...
Old 05-18-05, 01:27 PM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooty
All of you girls posting these amazing finds, please tell me where you live. The ones in my neighborhood are no good....
Ooty, You can get all sorts of bargains in the comfort of your own home. Amazon, half.com, e-bay and Goodwill (http://www.shopgoodwill.com) have used videos and other stuff. If you google "used fitness equipment" or "used exercise equipment" you'd be surprised what you'd find.

When I was thinking about buying an exercise bike, I had no trouble finding used bargains on line. E-bay frequently has videos or DVD auctions that start at .99 cents. Recently I wanted a Transgraph X (a plastic sheet overlay with lines to use to chart pictures/photos for cross stritch) and they were $17 new. I got a new one for $4.50 including s/h at e-bay. It takes time and patience, but it's worth it in the end.

I got my Sharper Image ionic breeze and fan from their auction site for less than 1/2 price. And of course I got my Needak rebounder at e-bay and saved about $80.

You can find used furniture, computers, books, clothing--you name it--it's on line.

Just today a VFer who told me she couldn't afford a rebounder bought an Urban Rebounder demo (gym model) from Bouncewell. Don't know how much she paid, but it must have been a good price since she told me she was short of money.

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-05, 06:16 AM  
faster pussycat

I went thrifting yesterday(inspired by this thread!) and I got a Yoga for Dummies DVD, Autonomy Cardio Yoga, Gaim Am Pm Pilates. I also *thought* I was getting a Susan Powter tape, but when I got home and popped it in to preview, there was an old Buns of Steel on the screen! AAARGH! So learn from my mistake and always look inside the sleeve!
faster pussycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-05, 06:19 AM  
ooty

Videophile...

Quote:
Originally Posted by faster pussycat
I went thrifting yesterday(inspired by this thread!) and I got a Yoga for Dummies DVD, Autonomy Cardio Yoga, Gaim Am Pm Pilates. I also *thought* I was getting a Susan Powter tape, but when I got home and popped it in to preview, there was an old Buns of Steel on the screen! AAARGH! So learn from my mistake and always look inside the sleeve!
ha, ha..rub it in....

Nancy,

I had one bad experience with ebay and I don't want to do that again.
Old 05-20-05, 07:10 AM  
Helen

I have this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferGirl
Advanced Walk Aerobics with Leslie Tommello
My mum had it and gave it to me when I first started jumping at home. You're right - big fluffy hair, and dark eye makeup. I also have her old 'Walk Aerobics' with a similar image, but I think she's actually Sansone in that.

On 'thift stores', we call them 'op shops' (opportunity). We tend to have 2 kinds - clothing or bric-brac like crockery - never seen anything exercise related. My favourite bargain places are the 2nd hand books shops. I'm dangerous there and usually come out with 4-5 (Classics, maths/science, feminism & children's are the sections I go for) - but I've done that 'drifting off topic thing again, haven't I?)

I'm gone!
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-05, 07:24 AM  
Elyse

I saw this thread and had to join in. I hit salvation army and goodwill each week. I also lug my toddler out with me every sat morning through the summer to yard sales. My best finds, got 2 step company steps at different yard sales-$8 each, firm vol. 3 at a yard sale $1. recently at salvation army I got wiinsor original 3 dvd set for $1.99 and karen voight's sleek physique dvd for $2.99.
Elyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-05, 09:04 AM  
tkoran

Wow, I wish I could find good deals like that! At the GoodWills around here the VHS are $2.99 and DVD's can be as much as $7.99. Not much of a deal most of the time.

Tami
tkoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-05, 11:36 AM  
Jenn R

I love going to goodwill too. It is like a treasure hunt. I have gotten four Club steps( $2.50 each) , an Ali Mcgraw yoga tape , and a core board ($5.00) there. The goodwill store is right by our local library so I go a couple of times a week usually. I would hate to miss any great deal. If only I could find exercise dvds there but they never seem to have any, only vhs.
Jennifer
Jenn R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-05, 05:30 PM  
Juliekins
VF Supporter

We did a "do I want to move this?" purge and took a bunch of clothes to Goodwill this weekend. My husband suggested we look around inside. Normally I am thrifting-impaired and can't find anything so I figured it couldn't hurt. For 99 cents each, I found:
  • Kathy Smith: Lift Weights to Lose Weight (in shrinkwrap!)
  • Kathy Smith Step Workout
  • Step Reebok: The Video
  • Step 'N' Motion: Taking it From the Top (nice mall bangs, Cathe!)
  • BodyShaping Aerobic Step Training led by a young looking Kendall Hogan
I'm giving the two Kathy Smith tapes to my mom because she loves Kathy's workouts. I broke my "no VHS" rule because we've bought a house with a living room big enough to work out in--so I won't decapitate myself on the ceiling fan like in our apartment. The basic step videos will be great for my husband and I do to together.
Juliekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-05, 08:51 PM  
tkoran

Today I found the entire Richard Simmons Food Mover kit along with 2 VHS (Blast Off and another one from that same time period) for .50 and never used. The tapes were still sealed. I'm not much of a Richard Simmons fan, but at that price I could not turn it down. I may see what I can get for it off Ebay once I look at it and see what it's like.

Tami
tkoran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thrift store finds