Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 03-23-05, 08:28 PM  
FitChick21

Question Body bars vs. barbells

Help! I'm so confused!

I'm trying to figure out if I should buy a barbell or a body bar. Is there a difference? On Cathe's website there's a few links to distributors who sell barbells and dumbbells, and the first I went to sells weighted body bars ranging from 4lbs - 25lbs. I am getting too confused will all this lingo ( I am easily confused LOL). If someone could help me out with this, that would be great!
Old 03-23-05, 08:35 PM  
kali1

With a Bodybar, you can't add weight to it. However, with a barbell, you add whatever amount of weight you want on it. I have a 12 pound Bodybar and use it when I don't feel like changing plates on my barbell. I bought my Bodybar from www.bodybars.com
kali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-05, 09:57 PM  
KickDancer

Body bars are also more conducive to the kinds of movements incorporated into functional-fitness workouts, where you move the bar in all different directions instead of just straight up and down. That's because the weight is evenly distributed throughout the bar, making it easier to maneuver (less torque, I think the technical explanation would be?).

What I want to know is, if you get body bars, what weights should you get, and for which types of workouts?

Body bars *ought* to be made so that you can add weight to them! I want nesting body bars that come in three-pound increments. Where are all those enterprising, make-a-fast-buck fitness-equipment manufacturers when I have all these special requests for them?
Old 03-23-05, 10:08 PM  
belle411

Smile

KD, that's my question too! When I was checking out the website, it looked like maybe the 12-lb would be a practical weight - I don't want to end up more than 1 bodybar!
belle411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-05, 09:35 AM  
FitChick21

Exactly, KickDancer! I would prefer to get a body bar if I can get similar results as a barbell would give and if it's appropriate for my workouts because I don't really have the room to store a whole lot more equipment. I'm also going to be moving within the next few months, and I really don't want to have to move too much workout stuff.
Old 03-24-05, 09:35 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Get The Barbell!!!!

A barbell is indispensable. I BodyBar is a luxury item that is not all that useful, imho. I have 4 Bodybar workouts and in each one there are places I have to switch to dumbbells (I only have 1 bodybar). The barbell, however, is an integral piece of workout equipment. Unloaded, you could probably use it as a bodybar, too!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-05, 12:05 PM  
Carol_is_fit

I'm completely insane. I have two barbells with plates, and I also have body bars in 6, 9, 12, 15, and 18 pounds. Plus, I have a 2 foot mini bar that weighs 2.5 pounds, and two 1 foot bars that I think weigh 1 or 2 pounds each. Can one have TOO many bars ????? LOL!!

Carol
Old 03-24-05, 12:36 PM  
KickDancer

Update

Just tried the Wal-Mart Danskin Now padded 4-ft. barbell this morning. It's easier to change weights since the bar is shorter (I am *never* going to use the full extra foot of bar length on a regular 5-ft. barbell for more weight plates!), but I still find changing weights on a barbell a pain. I haven't yet tried it as a body bar (which is how Danskin is advertising it, oddly), so I can't comment on how the weight distribution feels using it for real body-bar workouts. Nor do I know whether the plates on the end might bonk me in the head if I were to try to use this for a true body-bar workout.

I do think that the primary advantage of barbells is that they are adjustable, but they're not fast to adjust. I'd have to think further about whether my idea of nesting body bars would be faster or not. It seems like it would, since it would only be one operation instead of two (both ends of the barbell) to change weights. Barbells are also *much* cheaper (got my real barbell and dumbbell set for $45 at Dick's Sporting Goods, for a total of 110 lbs. of weight, IIRC).

As for substituting one for the other: I wouldn't use the bar of my "real" barbell as a body bar, since it's 5 feet long (close to my height!) and not padded. Too bad, since it happens to be the perfect weight (15 lbs.). OTOH, body bars typically range in weight from 9 lbs. to 30 lbs. I use my barbell in the range of 20-30 lbs. and might someday go beyond 30 lbs. if I get really strong. So I don't know how well body bars would sub for barbells.

This is what I'm guessing: decide which actual workouts (or types of workouts) you would like to use barbells or body bars for, then decide what weights you would like to use. I know the answer to that question for me for the heavy-weight side of the issue, but I'm still waiting for others to chime in on the appropriate weights for functional-fitness workouts. Anyone?
Old 03-24-05, 01:01 PM  
Carol_is_fit

I have almost every Body Bar workout from various series they made, and I'd say the heaviest I've seen anyone use (although sometimes it's difficult to tell) is 18 pounds. Of course, they are not designed to build mass. They are more lower weights/higher reps workouts and more functional fitness workouts, so the poundage is lower than in traditional strength training workouts. Like you said, KickDancer, it depends on the type of workout and what your goals are. That's why I finally broke down and bought the things. I knew my barbell wasn't an appropriate substitute, and one weighted bar can't be used all the time, for every single workout (not for me anyway!). I use the barbell when I do a serious strength training workout, and I use the appropriate size body bar when I do a Body Bar workout. What is the "appropriate" size? One that lets me do the move and feel the core work, without hurting myself. No one size will fit all. Just wish the dang bars weren't so expensive! I know they have a steel core but OUCH!

Carol
Old 03-24-05, 01:02 PM  
gypsygirl64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol_is_fit
I'm completely insane. I have two barbells with plates, and I also have body bars in 6, 9, 12, 15, and 18 pounds. Plus, I have a 2 foot mini bar that weighs 2.5 pounds, and two 1 foot bars that I think weigh 1 or 2 pounds each. Can one have TOO many bars ????? LOL!!

Carol
Carol,
As I was reading this thread I thought the same thing! I don't have as many as you do but I do have 2 barbells and 5 body bars: 9, 12, 15, 18 & 26 pounds. I got the body bars BEFORE I got the second barbell - I thought it would be easier to do upper body work and not have to change the plates - one little thing I wasn't aware of - the body bars I got are very wide (around) and my hands are small and it was extemely hard for me to hold the bar with an over hand grip. So now they just look pretty - all of the pretty colors in my basement!
Laura

Laura
gypsygirl64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barbells, body bar, danskin, dumbbell size, weighted bar