Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 12-09-04, 03:55 PM  
LAParent

Where did you get the Body Flux bar? I used to have a bar that screwed apart, but I lost it in a move some time ago.
LAParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 04:02 PM  
videofit

The Firm just wants more money from you. If you pay attention, you can see that half the time you don't need anything, i.e. straddling the short box for upright rows. Why bother? They try to justify your having bought all their stuff.

I use an old mop stick and light dumbbells as substitutes. Just grab onto furniture for balance or use nothing. I don't use a barbell anymore because I don't want to build up my lower body. Tall box work -- I use just my body weight. My butt thanks me!
videofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 04:09 PM  
dianairene

I actually like the sculpting stick. But then, I didn't own any body bars or 2 lb dumbbells when I got it. I agree with what others have said, particularly with respect to its uselessness for stability. You don't need it for balance when you do tall box climbs--after all, the Firm had put out how many videos before this with unsupported tall box climbs? I think this is one reason why longtime Firm fans didn't like BSS2. Especially given all the emphasis these days on increasing one's balance, they picked a hell of a time to tell their fans they needed crutches.

I find the middle part useful for abs work, as in Firm Abs or as a substitute for a mini body bar in Keli Roberts's Hardcore Abs & Back. I also use the twigs in Karen's Great Weighted Workout. I frankly don't like waving it around as they do in Total Sculpt Plus Abs or MCB. And for real strength work, dumbbells are fine.
dianairene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 05:10 PM  
TerriP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S

I bought Karen's weighted bar. Here's a link:

http://www.karenvoight.com/store/tool.asp?id=BAR14

It starts out as 12 lbs but you can add extra weight to make it heavier.

Helen
I saw Karen's bar in a brochure that came with one of her DVD's after I already had the sculpting stick. I thought that was a good idea with the donut weights, so I brought some and they work great with the sculpting stick. I use it with Keli Roberts Body Bar Challenge. I add 3 1lb donuts on each side to make an 18 lb bar, then take them off when I want to go lighter.
TerriP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 06:25 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

The sculpting stick is the most useless fitness thing I've seen (since those crazy old machines of a generation ago). I use light dumbells for all the weight work, except the lower body work you do with the stick in MCB (I think)? My right shoulder and elbow don't like having to work with a barbell or the stick across my shoulders...the angle that they have to bend is too much I guess. But I can hold dumbells on my shoulders...for tall box climbs, I don't do them enough so I haven't built a big rear yet, but I'm thinking use no weights and see how that goes. Oh, and learn to do these exercises without using a "crutch"...BALANCE!
Old 12-09-04, 07:59 PM  
Kari

I like the Firm Sculpting Stick. However, I mostly just use it for balance now. I got a Denise Druce weighted Bar--looks like the Karen Voight one--and use it for most of the strength moves. (12lbs plus 2 1lb rings). I found it at Ross for about $13.

I like having the stick for balance. Maybe when I get more fit I will try without it, but for now it really helps.
Kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 08:04 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

Just a thought on using a dowel for balance...

When the BSS2 system came out, I was recovering from a long-term hip/groin injury. Before that, I had done Firm, Cathe, etc. and had never used a dowel for balance. When I could finally do standing leg work again (after nearly a year), I used a dowel, no weights, and a shorter tall box. When I felt more comfortable with the exercises, I quit using the dowel for balance.

At this point, I noticed something interesting. My form and balance for standing leg work had actually improved. This was especially true for "moving" lunges and dips. Using the dowel allowed me to focus on strengthening my lower body without cheating on my form. Even when I started using weights again, my form was better than it was before the injury.

So, I think that using a dowel for balance is a good idea sometimes. Beginners and people recovering from injuries could probably benefit from using a dowel until they get stronger. More experienced exercisers who have difficulty with a certain exercise might improve their form by doing the exercise with a dowel and no weights for a while.

Sometimes I still use a dowel for balance when the instructor does - of course, I never hang onto it for dear life. I like using a dowel when I want to focus on strength without thinking about balance. It's just a nice change sometimes. I don't worry about becoming dependent on this "crutch" because I do plenty of strength workouts without the dowel. I also practice yoga regularly, and I love working on balancing poses!

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 09:42 PM  
LAParent

I think I answered my own question...I have an old Firm padded barbell (which I love). I used the barbell without weights for the BBS2 with Jen (forget the name- Sculpt something). I weighs about 10 lbs and is 4 feet long. It worked great except for the ab work where they used the short part of the sculpting stick (without the twigs). I used dumbells but wasn't happy with that. Is the short part weighted at all?
LAParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-04, 11:30 AM  
katalina

LAParent - I do exactly with you're doing with the 10# barbell.

The middle part of the sculpting stick is 4#. I sub a 5# medicine ball for it during some of the ab work in BSS2. Hope that helps...
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-04, 11:53 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

LAParent, your plan sounds perfect especially since you don't need to spend any money.

You can just use a stick during the ab segments. I don't think it's necessary to really have weight. It does weigh 4 lbs. I like Katalina's med ball idea too.

Helen
Helen S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body bar, bodybar, firm sculpting stick, weighted bar