Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-03, 02:39 PM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

Alan Alda was a guest at my brother's wedding. Bob from Sesame Street was there (what is his last name? it escapes me now.)

And last year in a PTA fundraiser, I met some of the stars of One Life to Live. The fellow who plays Hank lives about a mile away from me and his wife is an active member of the PTA.
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 02:45 PM  
stephb

I met John Cusack last year at a Hornet's game. He was in town filming The Runaway Jury. He was very nice and down to earth and my crush on him grew even bigger after I talked with him.

I also met Adam Sandler this spring when DH and I were in New York on an nbc tour.

I actually talk with a current young-ish celeb quite frequently b/c our families have known each other for a long time. It's always neat to hear what's going on in her life. She's had quite a few changes going on lately (for the good). But I never divulge to anyone online that I know her...you never know what kind of people read what you post and i don't want to start getting emails from people wanting to know what she's really like, you know? But it irks me when I read that people don't like her for whatever reason b/c I know she's really genuinely so nice and down to earth...just as she seems.

StephB
stephb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 02:50 PM  
Phyllis

OK - Here Goes:

In a restaurant in Rochester, NY (where I'm from) I sat two tables away from Philip Seymour Hoffman (he;s from Rochester) who was having dinner with his mother.

I was seated near Carol Channing at the Rainbow Room in NYC ata cabaret show and got her autograph. She is so loud, but funny.

I bumped into Johnny Mathis in a hotel parking lot in Albany, NY and at the time almost fainted (I love him).

This was a great moment. I put on special events for the non-profit I work for and we brought Les Brown who is a motivational speaker to town for a luncheon. He had just married Gladys Knight and brought her with him. She didn't attend the function but did come with him for a tour of our agency. I had a pic taken with her and again I almost fainted. She's a wonderful person. Too bad they divorced.

We also brought Spike Lee and Rita Moreno (West Side STory)to town and I had pics taken with them and also spent alot of time with them.

We also brought a lesser know person to town, Susan Taylor, who at the time was the Editor in Chief of "Essence Magazine"

I was in a restaurant in NYC in 1987 with my bro and sister-in-law and Treat Williams (Everwood) was seated facing me. He stared at me the entire time. I thought I was imagining it until my sister-in-law reaffirmed it. It got so bad I couldn't even eat!!! He's so good looking. It was strange.
This was before he married in 1988.

I was in line at an antique store in Woodstock, NY with Uma Thurman and said hello to her and congratulated her on her pregnancy.

Last but not least, many, many years ago the woman who played the mother superior on the Flying Nun (with Sally Field) came to Rochester for a fund raiser where my mother worked as a cook (at a convent). I served her lunch.

That's it. Great Thread!
Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 02:51 PM  
ardnas

I went to a retail convention in Chicago several years ago and met Scotty Pippin (sp?-of The Bulls-boy is he TALL!)-we literally bumped into him, but he was nice enough to shake our hands and gave my friend an autograph (I am so NOT a sports fan and not one who understands the concept of an autograph ) and Chris Zorich (of The Bears). Both were polite and shook our hands/gave autographed pictures, but Chris went out of his way to be nice and walked with us for awhile and shared stories.
ardnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 02:58 PM  
laurieb
VF Supporter

a couple

I was a scorer for Mike Shanahan (Denver Broncos Coach) during the John Elway Celebrity golf tournament that my company sponsored a couple summers ago.

I talked to this reporter from one of the news shows ,Prime Time or 20/20 live maybe at the San Fran airport. I had just seen her at my company doing an interview just before I went to the airport. I asked her what she was reporting about my company. She is blond but I can't think of her name.

I once saw MC Hammer at the San Fran airport.
Old 11-14-03, 03:07 PM  
bdandy3
VF Supporter

Great thread!

ok, here goes:

When I was working at the Hilton, I got to shake hands with michael anthony (of van halen) when he came in the restaurant.....also got to see bill gates at a private party. I also got to meet & got autographs from robert picardo (the doctor on voyager), the man who played garek on deep space 9 who's name escapes me now, armin shimmerman (quark from deep space 9 & the principal from buffy), leonard nimoy, john delancie ("q"), "mr sulu" & "mr chekov"

At another restaurant here in Vegas, I got to wait on pat morita

back in albuquerque, got to meet mike reno (of loverboy), the beach boys, the scorpions, & raymond burr....

and second hand, my husband met dennis rodman one afternoon...he was jogging behind a hotel here in Vegas (with his bodyguards in tow)

You cannot be good or bad at yoga. Just do what you can and you will reap the rewards.
Alan Finger
bdandy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 03:09 PM  
Waterbabie
VF Supporter

I went to kindergarten with Holly Robinson (21 Jump St, Hanging with Mr. Cooper).

Gave Roberta Flack a piece of gum after her performance at my college.

Schmoozed with the Celtics (Larry Bird/Robert Parish era) at Logan Airport in Boston.

The only fitness celeb I've met is Christi Taylor (and she's so nice!). I'll make it over to see Cathe one day...

One summer I worked at KYW - CBS 3 in Philly so met lots of local stars
Old 11-14-03, 03:12 PM  
A Minor
VF Supporter

I'm usually just a lurker, but this is fun!

A month or so ago, I was in L.A. to visit an old college friend of mine and I had two encounters. First, we went to see "Intolerable Cruelty" and Mark McGrath (lead singer of Sugar Ray) was sitting directly in front of me, two rows up. At the end of the movie, we walked out side by side, but I was too nervous to say anything! Then, right before we left for the airport, we stopped by my friend's hairdresser so she could pick something up and there was a Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf next door (near Beverly Center). Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia on Buffy and Angel , if anyone knows those shows, I am a die-hard fan) was sitting there enjoying an iced coffee and reading the paper. I went up to her (don't know why I had more courage) and we chatted for a few minutes. She was really nice.

I'm from Arkansas, so I've met Hillary Rodham Clinton and Bill Clinton several times over the years at different events. I've also met Al Gore a couple of times.

I used to work in advertising, so I met a few people through that: I met the guy that played "Coach" (Neilsen something or other), as well as Jerry Van Dyke, Billy Bob Thorton, and Laura Dern at Van Dyke's roast. Got soem great photos from that. I met Joe Estevez (Martin's Sheen's brother) because he did some voice overs for us and I had to pick him up at the airport. I also got to talk backstage with Jerry Jeff Walker before a concert once (those of you who know who that is--I'm ROTFL!)

My dad had breakfast with Kim Basinger several years ago outside of that little town she bought. He was seated at a large booth in a diner and she asked if she could sit on the other side because there were no other seats. You have to know my dad get the full hilarity of the situation, but he had no clue who she was, even after she introduced herself.

April
A Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 03:17 PM  
abbyalex

I have a cousin who is a pseudo local celebrity here in Philly and I attended an event where he was honored with a plaque on the Avenue of the Arts Walk of Fame. At that event, I met a few other Philly types -- 60's heartthrob James Darren (in his 60's and still gorgeous), Bobby Rydell, Mike Douglas (from the 70's talkshow) and Dr. J.

Last year I was leaving a wedding at the Rittenhouse Hotel and George Carlin was checking in. OK, I didn't actually meet him because I was too freaked out to go over and talk to him, but I did see him up close!

Also my BF works at Temple University so I've had the pleasure of meeting Bill Cosby twice and he is a really nice, down-to-earth man in person!
abbyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 03:19 PM  
Sam
VF Supporter

Honeymoon with Robin Williams

I spent my honeymoon with Robin Williams. Actually, he was staying at the same private island in Australia the first week DH and I were there for our honeymoon. It was kind of strange; we kept seeing him by the pool, in the restaurants, at the marina. The island resort was very out of the way and somewhere you'd go for some privacy, so we stayed out of his way. You know, "Robin who? Oh, I didn't notice..." hee hee hee

Tags
celebrities, old thread alert