Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-19, 02:10 AM  
KathyC

I do think having yoga as my primary focus was beneficial. I feel loads better, and I feel up to building strength now. But these last 2-3 months with Jane have really brought me to a better place. DH calls her "the lady by the lake," haha, because he sees me doing it so often. (I'd assume CS would have the same effect but probably with more toning/strength building!)[/QUOTE]

It sounds like your rotation was exactly what you needed to get back into a good place. I really hope my similar plan will be what I need as well, Alison. I would like to try the yoga also, and surprisingly I have the Gentle Yoga by Jane. I might aim to do that on Monday, my day off. So many choices, and workouts. Also, I'm now intrigued as to why she is called "The lady by the lake" lol
Kathy
KathyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-19, 02:11 AM  
KathyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
LOL! Jane would love hearing that story. You should email her - she loves hearing from us.

Carol
Yes! Someone should tell her!
Old 06-02-19, 02:14 AM  
KathyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
Haha, I love "lady by the lake." DH calls her "that lady with the nice voice." I have to second Alison's recommendation for Jane's yoga. During the long, long winter, my two main workouts were either the Lying Practice or the Evening Practice from her Gentle Yoga DVD. I still have days when ALL I want to do is yoga with Jane.

Joan, you and Alison have convinced me, I must have "lady by the lake" in my life! Monday morning...

Kathy
Old 06-02-19, 02:20 AM  
KathyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post

I love those two (I did Evening Practice this morning.)
My mom had a birthday over the weekend and what did I give her? Gentle Yoga, lol. I told DH that I'm some sort of Jane Adams Evangelist or something.

Sorry to derail the thread, Kathy!
Alison, I'm going to switch things up a little on my days off, I think, and will do the Gentle Yoga on Monday, along with some type of cardio. I see you used the Evening practice in the morning, would that one be a good starter for me? I'll be doing it in the morning, although most of my workouts will be in the afternoon after work, since I go in at 5am

Oh, and feel free to derail, I have thoroughly enjoyed all the input and responses! And it helped me decide what to do for my day off workout! Win win
Also, wanted to comment that I think that is a lovely gift to give your mom, very useful, and thoughtful!
Kathy

Last edited by KathyC; 06-02-19 at 02:23 AM. Reason: forgot comment
Old 06-02-19, 02:36 AM  
KathyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by D72 View Post
Hi Kathy,

So sorry for what you’ve been through but huge kudos and then some for everything you’ve done and are doing! Terrific suggestions from everyone.

I wanted to also suggest Jane Fonda’s Trim,Tone and Flex. It’s *extemely* doable (there’s no ‘going for the burn’ here ), relatively fun and always seemed well-researched. There’s a 20 minute Upper Body/Core (along with some unweighted arms/standing balance/postural moves) with a stretch and a 20 minute Lower Body with a stretch. The reps and weight are on the lower side but it feels good and thorough for what it is.

It’s a very good restarter and it gives a sense of accomplishment along with a strength/stretch/posture-work high without too much strain. The Upper Body section utilizes weights from 3-5 lbs I think ...sometimes doubling up if I recall correctly.

It’s also free via BeFit on YouTube—in addition to being relatively inexpensive on DVD:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aAI6xP2ZcZs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7_4BNNo1VH0

Hoping this is helpful and best of luck to you!
D72, this sounds right up my alley! I don't want anything that's going to wear me out at this point in my life. It's hard to get up and get going as it is some days, I don't want that to be complicated by soreness and pain from a workout. So Jane would be a good fit, I think. Definitely going to be adding into the mix!
I so appreciate the encouragement and your comments! I feel like I got so much good information and ideas from my query, and I really needed the social aspect of it all too. So thank you for all of that!
Kathy
Old 06-02-19, 02:40 AM  
KathyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I love her newest strength workouts on Get Strong. The first one has a bit of cardio but the second one is all weights. I just follow Debbie these days!
Interested in trying the strength workouts, Lori! But not to appear ignorant (though I am on this), what is Get Strong?
Kathy
Old 06-02-19, 02:44 AM  
KathyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softshoe View Post
I'm coming back after a medical problem. I am doing Jessica Smith's Walk On 6 Week Total Transformation System. It is a nice rotation. The workouts are about 30 minutes long. I did Brain Fitness Fun today and loved it!

Good luck to you, Kathy.
Mary, I Jessica! I think I have this one also, so that's a definite plus! I will be incorporating these into my schedule. I sure could use some Brain Fitness

Thank you so much for your input! Loving all the responses!

Kathy
Old 06-03-19, 12:58 PM  
Leonana

Jessica's newest on You Tube were pre-recorded when she was pregnant, so are extra gentle.

https://youtu.be/TnkavMCq3aI

https://youtu.be/zyKuF5saEnM

https://youtu.be/4VkNDCezFNA

I also like HASfit. They have a playlist of workouts for seniors and limited mobility.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...XatCRijJlwuU0M
Old 06-04-19, 02:05 AM  
KathyC

Leonana, thanks so much for these! They look like what I'm looking for, especially in terms of difficulty. I hadn't ever heard of the HASfit, so that's a new addition for me. Looking forward to trying some of these in the very near future.
I so appreciate your input!

Kathy
Old 06-04-19, 10:03 PM  
Leonana

You're welcome! Good luck at restarting.

Tags
restarting