alisoncooks

I've been adding short strength to daily yoga for all of May. I've used:
  • Suzanne Bowen's Weight Watcher dvd
  • 10 Min Solution Target Toning
  • Gilad Express segments
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 10:01 AM  
KathyC

I knew you'd chime in at the mention of CS, Jackie I truly believe it will help with the flexibility and other stuff that's going on with me. The times I used it in the past I always felt so much better, but then I fell by the wayside I want to stop that cycle, and be consistent with it so I can live more free of pain, and other ailments. I also want to be able to keep up with my 7 year old granddaughter
I definitely will look at the 10 minute solutions, I bet I have most if not all, of those! There should be a strength one, right? That's a second vote for Powerfit too, so it's on my list!
Thanks so much for your input, and encouragement. It means a lot at this point in my life
Kathy
KathyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 10:18 AM  
KathyC

Alison, that's the one! 10 Minute Solution Target Toning! I knew there had to be a specifically strength one, but couldn't remember it right offhand! Definitely going on my list! I might just do all or most of these suggestions and do something different all month. As long as I don't do the same body part 2 days in a row, it should be ok?
Wonder if I have the Suzanne Bowen one? I know I have something by her, but it might have been pilates, I think? And I will for sure pull out ol' Gilad, and get him in the lineup I also enjoy yoga, and would love to hear later on some of your thoughts. Of course I want to get back to doing that at some later date.
So, do you feel like this has been beneficial, doing yoga primarily and adding in some strength work? Always in the past I have made my primary goal as either strength or cardio, or a combination, and then just added on some yoga or stretch as an afterthought almost. Sometimes, it wouldn't even get done at all due to time restraints. This will be very new to me to make stretching my primary focus, with strength as a secondary goal. It should be interesting!
Thank you very much for your responses, Alison! I feel like I just got back into contact with old but good friends
Kathy
KathyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 10:32 AM  
alisoncooks

Kathy - I've always preferred strength (whether barre or weights). Hate cardio, probably neglected stretching. But then I had a long hiatus from working out (like...years!) Gained weight, struggled months with plantar fasciitis, feeling stiff and achy all the time, etc. I felt too out of shape to start with my old stand-bys, so earlier this spring I started with Jane Adams yoga DVDs. Then in May, I added in short strength segments. For June, I'm switching my focus to more strength and cutting back on the yoga a bit. (Planning on using the Fitness Fix set since it has a re/pre-hab focus.)

I do think having yoga as my primary focus was beneficial. I feel loads better, and I feel up to building strength now. But these last 2-3 months with Jane have really brought me to a better place. DH calls her "the lady by the lake," haha, because he sees me doing it so often. (I'd assume CS would have the same effect but probably with more toning/strength building!)
Old 06-01-19, 10:34 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
DH calls her "the lady by the lake," haha, because he sees me doing it so often. (I'd assume CS would have the same effect but probably with more toning/strength building!)
LOL! Jane would love hearing that story. You should email her - she loves hearing from us.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 11:40 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I do think having yoga as my primary focus was beneficial. I feel loads better, and I feel up to building strength now. But these last 2-3 months with Jane have really brought me to a better place. DH calls her "the lady by the lake," haha, because he sees me doing it so often. (I'd assume CS would have the same effect but probably with more toning/strength building!)
Haha, I love "lady by the lake." DH calls her "that lady with the nice voice." I have to second Alison's recommendation for Jane's yoga. During the long, long winter, my two main workouts were either the Lying Practice or the Evening Practice from her Gentle Yoga DVD. I still have days when ALL I want to do is yoga with Jane.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 12:41 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
Haha, I love "lady by the lake." DH calls her "that lady with the nice voice." I have to second Alison's recommendation for Jane's yoga. During the long, long winter, my two main workouts were either the Lying Practice or the Evening Practice from her Gentle Yoga DVD. I still have days when ALL I want to do is yoga with Jane.

I love those two (I did Evening Practice this morning.)
My mom had a birthday over the weekend and what did I give her? Gentle Yoga, lol. I told DH that I'm some sort of Jane Adams Evangelist or something.

Sorry to derail the thread, Kathy!
Old 06-01-19, 01:58 PM  
D72

Smile

Hi Kathy,

So sorry for what you’ve been through but huge kudos and then some for everything you’ve done and are doing! Terrific suggestions from everyone.

I wanted to also suggest Jane Fonda’s Trim,Tone and Flex. It’s *extemely* doable (there’s no ‘going for the burn’ here ), relatively fun and always seemed well-researched. There’s a 20 minute Upper Body/Core (along with some unweighted arms/standing balance/postural moves) with a stretch and a 20 minute Lower Body with a stretch. The reps and weight are on the lower side but it feels good and thorough for what it is.

It’s a very good restarter and it gives a sense of accomplishment along with a strength/stretch/posture-work high without too much strain. The Upper Body section utilizes weights from 3-5 lbs I think ...sometimes doubling up if I recall correctly.

It’s also free via BeFit on YouTube—in addition to being relatively inexpensive on DVD:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aAI6xP2ZcZs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7_4BNNo1VH0

Hoping this is helpful and best of luck to you!
D72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 05:06 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyC View Post
Oooooh, yes, Lori, how could anyone forget about Jessica? She's one of my favorites that I have worked out with when I was on a roll. I usually only think about her for her walking though, and have never done any of her strength workouts. Are there any you would recommend for a beginner beginner?
Thank you, Lori, for providing your insight, because I just didn't think of her for this. Off to look and see what I have that can fit the need of the moment. And if I don't have anything, I bet YouTube does!
I also wanted to comment that I'm glad you've been able to move forward when you've had the setback you did! I'm cheering you on to keep going when I know it can be depressing to have to modify and downscale what you're used to doing. I know how hard that has been for myself, and I also have my own ongoing issues with depression that rears it's ugly head periodically
Thank you for taking time to encourage and motivate me!
Kathy
I love her newest strength workouts on Get Strong. The first one has a bit of cardio but the second one is all weights. I just follow Debbie these days!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 10:06 PM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

I'm coming back after a medical problem. I am doing Jessica Smith's Walk On 6 Week Total Transformation System. It is a nice rotation. The workouts are about 30 minutes long. I did Brain Fitness Fun today and loved it!

Good luck to you, Kathy.

Tags
restarting