Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-19, 08:22 AM  
sherry7899

step goals and heart rate training

I bought a Polar A370 and set it up. I had a Fitbit Alta I used years ago, and I got obsessive with step counts and ended up straining my lower back and hips.

This time I do not want that to happen.

How do you set a realistic step goal to start with?

Also, I am totally new to using a heart rate monitor. Is there a simple explanation online about figuring out training zones and target heart rate, etc. I need a heart rate monitor for dummies

Thank you,
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-19, 09:26 AM  
Sollamyn

Here's a brief explanation re: target heart rate goals.

https://www.sparkpeople.com/resource...tor_target.asp

The way I set my step goals was kind of based on the ideas presented in the book "Mini Habits for Weight Loss." I started out with a low (for me!) and very achievable step count of, let's say, 5000 steps a day (on average). If I exceeded that goal for the week, then I would increase my goal to reflect what I was actually doing. Basically, though, my goals was to exceed my goal each week and increase my daily average step count by 500 steps a day. So week 1 was 5000 steps a day, week 2 was 5500, etc. But I actually was able to speed up that process somewhat when I figured out I was underestimating what I could actually do. The Mini Habits book stressed starting out with easily achievable goals, so that you will feel good about achieving something, and those good feelings would motivate you to do more. It worked for me!

HTH,
Donna
Old 05-29-19, 09:40 AM  
sherry7899

Thank you, Donna! That was very helpful.

Sherry

Old 05-29-19, 12:36 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

There are some newer criteria for women's heart rate training:

https://www.verywellfit.com/womens-h...ercise-3976885

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-19, 12:39 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
There are some newer criteria for women's heart rate training:

https://www.verywellfit.com/womens-h...ercise-3976885

Thank you, Alta!

Old 05-29-19, 12:51 PM  
Scorpio6

Has anyone found an accurate step counter? I have bought multiple pedometer/step counters over the years and none seem to be very good. I just want a simple step counter, don't want to have to measure stride length, etc.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-19, 03:38 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
Has anyone found an accurate step counter? I have bought multiple pedometer/step counters over the years and none seem to be very good. I just want a simple step counter, don't want to have to measure stride length, etc.
My New-Lifestyles accelerometer (pedometer) has always been very accurate. The one I have does give steps, miles and activity minutes, so you do need to figure your stride in you want the miles to be accurate, but the steps are accurate regardless. I think they may also make one that doesn't calculate miles. I highly recommend getting the leash if you get one as it has saved me from losing my pedometer numerous times! I also wear a Fitbit Charge 2. Some days the step totals are very close and other days not so much. I always consider my pedometer my official count. I have been wearing this one daily for probably at least 8 years. HTH!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-19, 04:31 PM  
DCW

I use a Fitbit Blaze. I have discovered that it is best for me to stay between an average of10,000 and 12,000+/- per day. 15,000+ steps my sore feet, hips and back remind me to take it easy.

I do other stuff but walking in nice weather is my favourite because the other stuff is indoors and I can do it all year long. Summer walking is the best.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitness tracker, fitness trackers, heart rate, pedometer, sally edwards, step count