Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-19, 11:06 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Sweating versus perceived exertion/intensity

I can't seem to use the right search terms to get any info that might be out there, so of course, I'm posting here!

When I was taking spin classes at a local gym (which have all been cancelled, grrr), the hour and sometimes longer spin classes were very intense, but I wouldn't say they had the same "I'm going to die" feeling that some of Cathe's workouts have. Yet, at the end of every spin class, I would be so absolutely red-faced with every inch of me soaked (literally) that of course, I felt like I had worked hard. And my clothing grew looser, so I figured that had to be true too. But these classes were totally fun and enjoyable to me with zero dread factor, even with the hard work.

I'm finding with my home workouts, if I do something that's more circuit-oriented, not HIIT, but fairly intense cardio combined with weighted exercises, or weighted exercises with a strong metabolic component, I breathe and sweat like MAD and feel like I'm getting a crazy good workout like with spin. And that makes me feel good!

But when I do something that's really intense cardio for me (like Cathe's Tabatacise, Imax 3, etc.) I gasp for air and at times feel like I'm going to die (hah hah) more than the other workouts, BUT I'm noticing I don't sweat nearly as much as with the other stuff. This makes me feel like I'm not working as hard with these HIIT types of workouts, but that can't be right, given how I feel during (and after) them! Maybe my body is too busy trying to take in oxygen, I don't know!

Bottom line, this is making me prefer much longer but slightly less intense workouts over anything that has HIIT in it, even though I know I've responded positively to HIIT. It's like some weird mental battle I have going on, all based on how much I'll sweat while working out! Who does that? (Me, apparently!)

I don't get it...it makes no logical sense to me. When your rate of perceived exertion is off the charts, shouldn't you sweat to reflect that??

Maybe I should look into a heart rate monitor or something, but I've always been kind of wary of becoming dependent on those.

Does anyone else experience this? Thoughts?
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-19, 11:49 PM  
Taiga

The type of movement you do (along with many other factors) can change the rate of evaporation for sweat. You may be sweating equally large amounts but with higher evaporation due to moving through the air (as with cardio movements like step etc) vs staying in place (spinning/weight lifting). I would also add that "I'm going to die" levels of exertion can cause heavy loss of water through the breath vs skin/sweat.
Old 05-29-19, 06:42 AM  
Tugger31

I don't have any answers, but the ambient room temperature and humidity level in the room also contribute to the sweat factor.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-19, 07:03 AM  
Lannette

You can find an article about this topic:

HERE

HERE

and HERE

Bottom line? More sweat doesn’t equal a better workout or mor calorie burn , though working out in a heated room may have certain advantages.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-19, 07:22 AM  
ChelePA

This post really spoke to me. I am exactly the same way. I can literally ring my clothes out after a spin class. When I exercise at home, it’s in the basement so I know it’s cooler. Interesting topic.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-19, 10:31 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Thank you all for your responses! Taiga, that makes SO MUCH SENSE! I don't know why on earth that didn't occur to me (having a duh moment!) but that would explain a lot.

And Tugger, yep, good point, as the spin studio was quite small and would turn into a little sauna even when the internal temperature was set low, around 64, whereas my workout space at home is pretty large and airy. I guess that makes a huge difference.

Lannette, thank you so much for those articles! Very interesting stuff. Looks like I should really stop worrying about this because it's really not a good indicator of how hard I'm working.

ChelePA, so glad it's not just me who experiences this!
Old 05-29-19, 04:35 PM  
DCW

It may be the number of people in the class too. All of those folks breathing hard and raising the temperature in the room.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-19, 04:47 PM  
severin817

I used to manage a spin studio and the owner was always telling us to keep the temperature and humidity higher so the clients would sweat more and think they got a better workout.

Also, I teach group fitness classes in a room that sometimes has issues with humidity. It will be the same exact temperature (we have a thermometer on the wall) but when the humidity is higher I'm drenched in sweat during class. But my calorie burn is pretty much the same, regardless.

Laura
severin817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-19, 08:07 PM  
bfit

My understanding has always been that sweating is not a very good indicator of how hard you're working out because it's mostly dependent on the air temperature and humidity. If it's really hot, for example, you're sweating just sitting outside, but you're not getting a workout from that.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-19, 08:30 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

DCW....YES! If the spin class was full, even the mirrors would fog (gross!!).

Severin817, that's funny on the studio temps! Thank you for confirming the calorie burn. I keep telling myself to get a heart rate monitor but....I really would rather go by perception than having to wear something!

bfit, true, true. That's the conclusion I'm coming to! It's interesting...I used to live in one of the absolute hottest places in the USA (the desert southwest) when I'm really more of a northern gal. Acclimating to that was, um, well, it took time. After several years living there, I had a chance to visit northern California, where it was 72 degrees and sunny, for a long weekend. So here I was, walking on the beach...dressed in two shirts, a fleece, and a winter jacket plus jeans and winter boots because it was absolutely freezing to me. Everybody around me was giving me strange looks (while they rocked their shorts and tanks) and I couldn't figure out why.

I've since moved back to a more temperate climate, but ever since that time in my life, I guess I'm conscious of how I respond to temps and activity at any given time! Aren't we strange beings??

Tags
perceived exertion, sweat, sweating