Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-19, 10:57 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Yoga for Osteoporosis - Dr. Fishman's yoga program

Some years prior in VF history, in osteo discussions, VF'er SharonNYC wrote about being a participant in Dr. Loren Fishman's study on yoga for osteoporosis. Sharon and other participants in the study achieved increased bone mass from following the prescribed yoga program every day. At that time you could only obtain the DVD if you were in the study.

I watched the Beach Body Three Week Yoga Retreat infomercial recently and saw Dr. Fishman endorsing it. This got me wondering if the Beach Body program is any way similar to the osteoporosis study DVD.

Long story short, I found the practice via Dr. Fishman's website, sciatica.org, streaming on Youtube.

Dr. Fishman on osteoporisis: http://sciatica.org/?page_id=70

Practice on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8SjystaH-E&t=192s
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-19, 11:00 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

By the way, has anyone tried the Three Week Yoga Retreat? I'm sure there was a thread a few months ago, but I can't find it. If the poses and the pace are similar to Dr. Fishman's routine I might get it.
Old 04-22-19, 11:11 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I know of a VFer who did NOT have bone mass increases from doing Dr. Fishman's program. I'm not sure yoga is enough for some folks. I'd say it would be a good supplement to a strength program. (Yeah, yeah, I know I'll get crap for saying that.)

I rarely do yoga anymore unless it happens to be included in something else I'm doing. I had a slight increase in my last DEXA from doing heavy(ish) weights.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-19, 11:19 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I know of a VFer who did NOT have bone mass increases from doing Dr. Fishman's program. I'm not sure yoga is enough for some folks. I'd say it would be a good supplement to a strength program. (Yeah, yeah, I know I'll get crap for saying that.)

I rarely do yoga anymore unless it happens to be included in something else I'm doing. I had a slight increase in my last DEXA from doing heavy(ish) weights.
I'm kind of puzzled why yoga and pilates keep getting marketed as osteoporosis treatments. They're better than nothing I guess, but usually impact exercises and resistance training are advised for bone building.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-19, 12:01 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Different things work for different people. I'd never give up weights over yoga, and prefer both on a regular basis.

I remember reading in the Fishman study discussions that it is the holding of the poses that stresses the bones.

Any thoughts on Three Week Yoga? Maybe I should start a separate thread.
Old 04-22-19, 01:28 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Pat, thank you for posting this!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-19, 01:43 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
It is really hard to find legit reviews of BB programs. Most of them online are by BB coaches. Probably starting a new thread would be a good idea.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-19, 02:00 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Pat - I tried some of them thru Kineticflix but it's been a while. Mostly what I remember was that they were too slow for me. I think I only did the ones with Vytas.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-19, 02:25 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Quote:
I remember reading in the Fishman study discussions that it is the holding of the poses that stresses the bones.
I looked at the moves in the Fishman study a while back (as well as Yoga for Osteoporosis) and thought, wow, I've been doing moves like that for years with weights (as in the FIRM) and my bone density scores are still in the toilet!

So maybe it is the holding of the poses that builds the bone density for some people...hmmm, something to think about.

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-19, 03:07 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Different things work for different people. I'd never give up weights over yoga, and prefer both on a regular basis.

Agree, different things work for different people, there are many factors involved including genetics & body build. One thing on its own is not a cure all, but I think yoga can be helpful if you add to a regime that also includes impact exercise, resistance training, & healthy eating.

I haven’t heard of Three Week Yoga, sounds interesting as long as it’s not too vinyasa-y. I see you started a new thread.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3 week yoga retreat, bone loss, dr. loren fishman, osteopenia, osteoporosis, yoga for osteoporosis