Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-24-18, 04:40 AM  
antbuko

I have an elderly friend who has had hearing loss for as long as I have known him, over 20 years. His pastor actually treated him to hearing aids and there is always an issue as to why he is not wearing them. Same thing with his cane. He lives in a second floor apartment and desperately needs a knee replacement but due to other health issues and possibly his age, it's not possible for him to get one. So I gave him a cane and have pestered him to use it, but without fail, I'll go over there to take him out to lunch and where is the cane? He left it in his car! And he tells me repeatedly how he was out at the library or the supermarket and he fell. His ortho also gave him a very expensive knee brace which he frequently "loses". Oh, and when he uses the phone, he doesn't terminate the call so that there is always a busy signal. He's been this way for as long as I've known him and I continue to badger him about it to no avail. And don't even consider a smartphone app to remind him. He got a smartphone and lost it. It's all very frustrating but I am convinced there is nothing you can do about it.
Old 10-24-18, 07:50 AM  
dnna

The captions on the caption call phone come up immediately, just like the captions on tv. You only need a internet connect to make it work. They send a rep to set it up for you -very easy. The new one is awesome! My son loves the speaker phone feature so he can hear with 2 ears. you can have one for home and one for work, no cost ever.

The phonak system will change your life if hearing.impaired. The audiologist sets it up to your hearing aids. You plug it into your tv. then you wear a loop around your neck and the sound goes right to your hearing aids at your prescribed levels. You can leave the volume at the normal level your family likes.

try watching tv with the volume on 2 or 3 and understand how hard life its for hearing impaired people. try it for a hour. or a day.

Hearing impaired children are mostly( or all) now able to speak clearly and their loss is pretty undetectable by speech,due to good high tech hearing aids and implants.

don't give up hope. New technology appears on the market every 5 years or so. My son's first aids just amplified sound. Now he has the channel digital computerized ones and we have hope for the future.

we also have hope for stem cell research but I know that is controversial. What If I could see the day my son could hear. what if....

Last edited by dnna; 10-24-18 at 07:52 AM. Reason: spelling
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-18, 10:20 AM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Health failing & "losing" things

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
I have an elderly friend who has had hearing loss for as long as I have known him, over 20 years.
Helen,
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend and his issues. You are a very kind person for attempting to help him. It would seem to me that on many sides his health is failing and he is resisting changing his behavior.

Soon he will find he is not living on his own anymore, falling frequently is just not sustainable.

I suspect pride is the main reason he will not use assistance devices. Is there any possibility that he is hoping to be rescued by a close family member so he won't have to live alone anymore? I just know that I certainly would be sly enough to do this, should my daughter hesitate to take me in, LOL.

No matter what the reason, you cannot change his behavior, only he can - and you should not feel responsibility should it result in injury. Bless you for trying!
Old 10-24-18, 04:32 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnP View Post
Helen,
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend and his issues. You are a very kind person for attempting to help him. It would seem to me that on many sides his health is failing and he is resisting changing his behavior.

Soon he will find he is not living on his own anymore, falling frequently is just not sustainable.

I suspect pride is the main reason he will not use assistance devices. Is there any possibility that he is hoping to be rescued by a close family member so he won't have to live alone anymore? I just know that I certainly would be sly enough to do this, should my daughter hesitate to take me in, LOL.

No matter what the reason, you cannot change his behavior, only he can - and you should not feel responsibility should it result in injury. Bless you for trying!
Thank you, Dawn! I've been encouraging him to move in with one of his sons whom he says is wealthy and lives in a large home but he says it is not an option. I told him if I win the lottery I'll get a place big enough so that he could live with me and have his own space. I know he would love that.
Old 10-24-18, 07:46 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Hugs to Helen

Helen, you have a big heart
We need more Helens in this world!
Old 10-25-18, 04:40 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
I have worn hearing aids most of my adult life. They are not easy and as stated here does not transform somebody into a hearing person. I wear mine all day everyday and really can't live without them. Right now, I need a new pair. I just wish they weren't so expensive. Insurance doesn't cover this which just seems ridiculous. I can't function as a normal person without them.

My husband read a paragraph about hearing loss and all that it does to the person with the loss and the other people around them. It is frustrating - I find myself isolated in group settings where there is so much noise and I can't make out what the person I am talking to is saying. The hearing aids can't focus in on that. Sometimes I can hear the people across the room better than the person right in front of me. I miss so much. It is very frustrating for my husband as he has to repeat himself so many times for me to get what he is saying that he gets angry and yells which isn't good for either of us.

I told him that we have to patient with each other and keep these things in mind when dealing with each other. Be kind to your father about it.
I wear hearing aids too, and this is exactly my experience. I started wearing them when I was 46, and I'm 59 now. My husband is one of those people that I have a hard time understanding, so he yells, but actually it's more how he pronounces words. Some people I can hear better than others.

Oticon no longer makes the parts for my hearing aids. I pay for insurance to have them serviced every year. I've stockpiled enough of the wax guard and domes accessories for a couple of years, but then I'll be forced to buy new ones. However, I can't afford them, so I don't know what I'll do at that point. Perhaps buy the cheaper over the counter ones, but they may not work as well.

Tags
aging, hearing aids, hearing loss