Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-04-18, 11:03 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

This second article is from this September.

Muscle’s Many Powers
Scientists are learning that resistance training confers much more than strength. It’s key to your overall health.

Quote:
But "what scientists are just now understanding," says Andy Galpin, director of the Biochemistry and Molecular Exercise Physiology Laboratory at California State University–Fullerton, "is just how synonymous muscle health is with all health."
Some points that are at least fairly new to me and probably to others:

- A 2017 study, which isn't specified here, identifies "lean muscle mass" as a better indicator of health than BMI.

- A 2015 study identifies grip strength as a better predictor of the probability of death from heart disease than blood pressure.

- Muscle has significant endocrine effects.

- Muscle is the body's biggest reserve of amino acids, which the body uses when it needs them.

Quote:
That may in large part explain why people with more muscle live longer and are better able to combat disease, says Arny A. Ferrando, a professor of geriatrics with the Center for Translational Research in Aging and Longevity at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. He explains that muscle mass is a strong predictor of disease survivability, including cancer treatment outcomes. Muscle wasting is a common complication of cancer treatment, and contributes to a higher risk of chemotherapy side effects and lower survival rates, research suggests.
(In yet a different search this past week, I found that a fairly recent video line, with multiple mentions on VF, has been promoted with the term "zero bulk." I could already think of a few problems with that "promise," but after reading these articles, I can't read it the same way again. Ferrando's comment also reminds me that cancer patients, among others, have reported being "complimented" on their post-treatment figures. )

Quote:
"All of these fields are starting to turn their eyes heavily toward muscle and say, 'OK, muscle is a major priority,' " Galpin says. "If muscle is out of whack, the rest of our treatments and interventions become secondary to affecting the muscle issue."
One caution in reading the recommendations is that the term "compound exercises" (as the list of examples should make clear) is used in the more predominant "multi-joint" sense (such as squatting), not the sense in which VFers more commonly use it (such as squatting and performing a biceps curl at the same time).
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, exercise benefits, muscle, muscle loss, osteoporosis, sarcopenia, senior, senior strength training, seniors, strength training