Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-18, 06:30 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

I have laxity in the SI joint so getting out of my vehicle (pilot) incorrectly can set it off. I used to actually pop the joint when it would get tight by getting into and then out of my DH's F150. Always felt good because it would get bound up. Now it's the opposite. When I had PT for it they encouraged glute strengthening and core strengthening. I do know that sitting off-kilter (one hip higher than the other) and random things will set it off.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-18, 06:46 AM  
Diana3271

Great information, thank you for sharing.

Jennifer I did some "research" a/k/a googling yesterday and a lot of the poses you mentioned were considered to be helpful.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-18, 09:39 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I've tried a few KCM workouts. There is one weight one where she is obviously lifting too heavy and her form is bad. That put me off her workouts.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-18, 12:43 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Yes, Joan, that's the book. A lot of fluff if you ask me but the exercises are valuable. It does discuss modifications for various situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
Jennifer, is it this book?

I’ve been dealing with piriformis syndrome for several years now. Oddly enough, when I was doing heavy weights with a trainer (three years ago), never had any problems. Nowadays, everything seems to cause a flare-up, especially twisting movements and Leslie walks. I get instant relief from the lower extremities segment from James Knight’s Gentle Yoga through Somatic Exploration (his first one—it’s a DVD-R), but would really like to work on prevention.

ETA: Diana, Annette Fletcher's Perfect in 10 Stretch is a lifesaver as well. Hope you feel better soon!

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-18, 12:55 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:

ETA: Diana, Annette Fletcher's Perfect in 10 Stretch is a lifesaver as well. Hope you feel better soon!
I have this one. Which section do you like? The lower body section? I think there are 5 different stretches on there.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-18, 01:53 PM  
Vantreesta

Jennifer, thank you for posting that stretch sequence!

My SI joints bother me the most after yardwork and after putting up and taking down holiday decorations. I can pretty much count on hurting after those. I will try these stretches to see if I can prevent it!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-18, 02:30 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post

I found a nifty little routine that is magic for me, from the book "3 minutes to back pain relief" or something like that. Every day, in this order, for at least 30 seconds each:

Child's pose with arms extended in front of your head
Cobra, concentrating on NOT clenching glutes
Cat/cow, alternating EXHALE when contracting, INHALE when extending
Malasana (deep squat, doesn't matter what your foot position is, can elevate heels if needed)
Upavistha konasana (wide-legged pose, can bend forward or side to side, whatever feels best)
Baddha konasana (cobbler's pose) with spine straight or bent forward, whatever feels best.

Not in the prescribed routine but I usually do 30 seconds at least of downward dog after this because it feels good.

It sounds so simple but really made a difference for me. Haven't been to the chiropractor in years!
Thanks for sharing this. I've been struggling with some pain for a few months now. I've tried stretching, different exercises suggested by my chiropractor, and nothing seems to have helped much, until...... this last weekend I did a pretty strenuous hike. Not that long -- took a little more than an hour, but it was straight downhill, straight uphill pretty much. I was astounded when my pain was completely gone afterward. It started whispering to me in the evening of that day. I think I had to really use my quads on the downhill for sure and I'm wondering if that somehow helped. I've been trying to do some quad exercises daily since, but I will definitely add in this stretch routine.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-18, 02:54 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
I have this one. Which section do you like? The lower body section? I think there are 5 different stretches on there.
I always do two: (1) Upper Body, Back & Hips and (2) Hips & Legs.

I'm going to try another of Annette's DVDs tonight (Save Your Lower Back) and see if that helps. When I got up this morning, I thought, "You know you're getting old when nearly your entire workout time is spent doing rehab exercises."

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-18, 02:56 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
I always do two: (1) Upper Body, Back & Hips and (2) Hips & Legs.

I'm going to try another of Annette's DVDs tonight (Save Your Lower Back) and see if that helps. When I got up this morning, I thought, "You know you're getting old when nearly your entire workout time is spent doing rehab exercises."
Please report back on this DVD. It's been in my Amazon cart for a while! TIA!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-18, 03:13 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Please report back on this DVD. It's been in my Amazon cart for a while! TIA!
Will do! I'm embarrassed to admit that it's been on my shelf since 2013, and I don't recall ever trying it.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulging disc, kcm, kelly coffey-meyer, sacroiliac joint, si joint, si pain