Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-17, 03:08 PM  
suzannaerin

We're here for you. welcome back! I have some DVDs that I'm happy to send you. Please pm me if you're interested.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 09:06 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Welcome back.

Not only do you deserve every little bit of help and encouragement, you deserve to do things every day that make you feel good, have fun and laugh. You are not alone and you are totally worth it.

I don't work out to dvds anymore and have Chalean Extreme, might be missing a dvd, if you want it. You just need a band or two and I'm happy to send those along. I seldom work out at home at all. Going to the gym was my saving grace for a couple years and I was lucky enough to be able to have and still have a membership.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 01:25 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

(((Diane))) You've been through so much but welcome back!! Do 10 minutes and it will feel good. And slowly build up from there. Please post what you're looking for. I have DVDs that I can send but I also have VHS that I can send too. We're here to cheer you and say "Atta Girl!!"
Old 07-29-17, 03:28 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Nothing much to add, but welcome back.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 11:50 PM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

Hi Diane-

Welcome back! Like some others here, I have plenty of DVDs and would be happy to send you some. Just PM me and let me know what type of exercises you are interested in .

Best,
Lori
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 12:57 AM  
beanpeanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdiane View Post
Hello all,
I first joined VF in early '99, or possibly sometime in '98, back when the forum ran on different software. I remember many very funny and entertaining chats we all had in the chat room. There was one particular chat session that I remember - it had me laughing so hard that tears were streaming down my face. My join date that shows here is after the switch was made to VBulletin (hey, my user ID # is only 14!).

I served as a Moderator for a time (we were dealing with Paulagate back then), but eventually life got in the way of my workouts and participation here. I had numerous ups and downs in trying to stay motivated to exercise and eat well, and my weight fluctuated a lot. I was struggling to balance many things in my life, which was hard because of my ADD tendencies and bouts of depression.

I have vivid and fond memories of being a member here, and once I even hosted a small gathering of NYC VFers in my tiny apartment. So, it's hard to fathom that my last post on the forum before this one was way back in '03 -- my goodness, 14 years ago! And, believe it or not, I still have about 75 of my old VHS videos and a VCR - I just couldn't get rid of them!

I did communicate privately with WWWendy once in early 2010, when I came back with the hope that I'd rekindle my fitness goals. Unfortunately, shortly after that, my world was turned upside down by a traumatic experience and the very real threat of homelessness. I was sent on a tailspin into deep depression, and life was very dark indeed for quite some time.

Slowly, things righted themselves and for a while, I was seeing light at the end of the tunnel and starting to feel okay. Last year, however, I experienced a car accident, the death of my best friend, and loss of my job all within the span of a month, and it's been hard to stay on a positive track. I do have good days but many not so good. Emotionally, I often feel like I'm on a roller-coaster. It was odd to come back here and see that my old signature was the statement "Life is good" because it has been a long time since I felt that way. So, I added the smiling little sun and kept it, as a reminder whenever I am here.

I am a stress eater, and with the stresses of the last 10 years or so, and the depression, my weight climbed back up to almost the highest it's ever been, which is rather disconcerting. I'm pretty fat and most of my clothes don't fit me anymore. There were many times I knew I had to do something and made a superficial gesture toward doing it, but then didn't follow through. For example, I have a really nice exercise bike that I bought about 5 years ago and never used. I haven't worked out at all for years. I am very unfit and worried about my health, as I am now 57 and feeling like my obesity is really aging me before my time. I especially feel it in my knees and ankles. And when I am depressed, I become very lethargic and struggle to even just get out of bed.

I CANNOT KEEP GOING THIS WAY! I know that exercise can and will help me get out of the depression that so often engulfs me. I thought about breaking out my old VCR because, until last week, I only had two exercise DVDs. But the VCR's not easily accessible. I have to be very frugal right now, because I'm only working part-time, so I picked up a few DVDs at the thrift store ($3 each - hurrah!), watched them, and liked them all.

I now have a whopping total of 8 DVDs - 3 cardio, 1 strength, 2 that mix both, 1 Pilates, and 1 yoga. I don't need a lot of variety and I was never one to care about trends and getting the latest releases, so this handful of DVDs is fine with me - most of them have options for different intensities and levels of fitness, so I can make adjustments. So now I am figuring out a rotation that will get me going without being too much to handle, and from which I can keep progressing. I also want to walk outside more because when I am feeling blue it is too easy to stay under the covers all day long on my days off.

I am not going to set myself up for failure by making big pronouncements about what I will do (doing that always bites me in the butt), but I thought that perhaps coming back here and just saying that I want to find my way back to being fit and feeling good after a long dark period would be a way to spur me forward. "Attagirls" are most welcome. Thanks for reading.
Me too! Not exactly your situation, but the last 9 years has pretty much delivered the same results for me....a very miserable (I've lost who I am) state of existence, it seems I've lost who I am along the way, I am picking up myself slooowly every day, it's very difficult.

Add in: Things are getting better day by day so hang in there and know you are not alone, pm me if you want, I have many DVDs that I would be happy to send you!
beanpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 04:41 AM  
dlb

Does your library have a dvd section? Time to time I will check out my local branch to see if they have anything new.
dlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 06:37 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Welcome back! So sorry to hear about your troubles and so happy to hear your life has taken a turn for the better again. Thanks for the walk down VF memory lane. Those were the days, huh? Those chats were so much fun.

I have a box overflowing with DVDs that I've been planning to do "something" with and just haven't. I'll put a list together (that was part one of the "something" anyway) and PM it to you. You are very welcome to any you might be interested in.

Sounds like you have a great plan going forward. We're here to help - that hasn't changed in all these years!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 09:30 PM  
nycdiane

Thank you, everyone! Sorry I can't login every day, but I've been thinking of all of you and am feeling so much more encouraged than I have in a long time. I also appreciate knowing that others have gone through rough times and come out okay or are finding their way out of it like I am. Funny how connecting with people through an online forum has me feeling less alone, less like a freak or loser, and more hopeful. What a wonderful community VF continues to be after all these years.

I will PM the people who've offered to send me DVDs since my last post. At some point, I think my problem will be which DVDs to choose from! So many kind offers, it's very sweet and I truly am touched!

Thank you, all.

nycdiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-17, 12:12 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Hi Diane! It is great to see you back at VF. Sorry to hear that life hasn't always been good for you. So many of us who have been at VF for a long time have gone through struggles over the years, and it can be hard to keep up the motivation to exercise and eat well. Life gets more complicated as time goes on. My advice is to figure out what you can do every day that will make you feel good about life, even if only for a few minutes a day. It can be as simple as listening to music, or sitting outside and watching the clouds.

I don't recommend doing old DVDs or activities you used to do years ago. I think it is better to look forward to new activities, rather than to look back at past ones.

Good luck with your endeavors.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, depression, restarting, trauma, weight loss