Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-06-17, 12:59 AM  
Aurora C.

Walking indoors vs outdoors & which walking DVD to start with?

I consider myself a high intermediate to advanced exerciser. Every winter weight seems to creep on because the weather prevents me from keeping up with the daily 90 minute walks AM & PM that I do when temperatures are reliably above 45 degrees. I recently had a conversation with a fitness trainer and I mentioned the idea I had to walk on my trampoline to a movie or DVR'd TV shows on colder days. She insisted that walking in place does not mobilize fat, that propelled forward motion is necessary to do that, and she suggested I get a treadmill or use the one at the gym. I, unfortunately, don't have space for a treadmill and I work from home so on cold days I pretty much choose not to leave the house unless absolutely necessary. ...if fat mobilization isn't possible walking in place, how is the success people have with walking DVDs like Leslie Sansone's & Jessica Smith's explained? She didn't really have an answer for that but I'm hoping someone here might.

Also, since we are still getting 30 degree days here, I'm promising myself never to let weight creep on due to the weather ever again. With that in mind, which DVDs do you recommend I start with to burn fat and take the place of approximately 2 1/2-3 mph 90 minute walks? ...and can they be committed to memory so I can do them watching something interesting? (funny how I never get bored walking at the same beach everyday but I can't imagine doing the same DVD everyday without losing my mind)....or do I need a DVD at all? I've never done a walking DVD, I've always considered them more for beginners, but since I need low impact, and I know walking outdoors works for me, now I'm curious what's on them.

Thanks in advance!
Aurora C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-17, 03:54 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i think what she might be trying to articulate is you may need to intensify an indoor walking workout. i don't think "propelling forward" is the ONLY way to get fat to burn. for example, step aerobics can be very intense. the intensity comes from lifting your body up and down a step. what about jump roping? you're not propelling yourself forward, but boy can it be a burner.

i used to jog outside and then i became an indoor exerciser. i knew the only intense type of cardio that i could do to replace jogging was either step aerobics or skipping rope. since i had never done step aerobics at the time, i decided to try it. i was amazed at the intensity just doing a basic step move with Gin Miller's The Video.

the best way to judge the intensity of a cardio routine is using a HRM or by monitoring your perceived exertion. rebounding could be more or less intense than walking, but it really depends on what kind of walking you did outside. were there hills? did you walk at a 4 MPH pace? etc. etc.

rebounding can be amped up if you move your arms around, carry light weights, really lift your knees higher, jump at a faster pace, etc.

with Leslie or Jessica, there have been people who lost weight. they could have done it at a very fast pace, added light weights, used resistance bands, did more high impact, or did longer workouts.

whatever you do, changing the frequency, duration or intensity are ways to amp it up.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-17, 07:06 AM  
Tugger31

Recently I've had good results with fat/weight loss and just general maintenance with simply adding in 10-15 minutes of additional higher intensity cardio per day. I haven't done anything too crazy or anything high impact. I've done the warm up and 7-ish minute cardio step routine in Cathe's Athletic Training workout and I've done a few segments from Amy Dixon's Breathless Body routine doing the low impact modifications.

Jessica Smith has alot of walking workouts both on dvd and many on youtube. I think the key for indoor walking/calorie burn is using your arms more to increase the calorie burn.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-17, 08:17 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I can tell you from personal experience, that walking indoors does work for weight loss, or weight maintenance. I used to think that walking workouts like Leslie's were too easy. Several years ago I had developed Achilles Tendinitis in my left ankle and Leslie's workouts became my most often used workouts for a long time. I was worried about gaining weight, but it never happened. Outdoor walking is great when you can do it, and it is different than walking indoors, but I still do a lot of Leslie's workouts, and Jessica Smith's walking workouts as well. I love them!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-17, 08:52 AM  
Diana3271

Can you do an online workout?

This thread has some good suggestions: http://videofitness.com/~vfwnk/forum...d.php?t=218967

This workout will Millionaire Hoy is good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2vMuTinPTM

For those short, but intense add on's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWy41ZHeZ34

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-17, 09:30 AM  
laurajhawk

I'm sorry but "mobilizing the fat" sounds like nonsense to me.

Walking in place isn't as hard because you are not moving forward. That's simple physics; it's takes more energy to move mass forward AND move limbs around than it is to only move limbs. So walking in place isn't INeffective but it isn't AS effective (in terms of calorie burn) as walking outside at the same speed.

My suggestion would be to amp up the intensity when you're indoors on your rebounder. For me, the Virtual Active runs are good - the "guided run" track includes coaching/encouragement and an on-screen display of what RPE (exertion) level you should be experiencing in each segment. I work harder doing that than I do when I'm just bouncing/jogging to the music. I also use a rebounder so I don't use the "incline" setting directly (it's also on screen) but I try to lift my knees higher when we're on a hill.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-17, 09:52 AM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
My suggestion would be to amp up the intensity when you're indoors on your rebounder. For me, the Virtual Active runs are good - the "guided run" track includes coaching/encouragement and an on-screen display of what RPE (exertion) level you should be experiencing in each segment. I work harder doing that than I do when I'm just bouncing/jogging to the music. I also use a rebounder so I don't use the "incline" setting directly (it's also on screen) but I try to lift my knees higher when we're on a hill.
Does anyone do the Virtual active runs without any equipment, run in place?

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-17, 10:35 AM  
Aurora C.

Great suggestions so far, thanks! When I walk outdoors it's on at flat boardwalk at the beach near my house. My pace varies from about 2-3 mph. Maybe a light jog on the trampoline could offer similar benefits. What this trainer seemed to be saying was that HITs have their place a few times a week but that I'd spend basically 3 hours a day, in motion but with no impact or intensity was what actually moved the fat out of my body...at least I think that's what she meant. I cannot spend 3 hours doing the same indoors, I need the ocean scenery and the negative ions in the sea air to motivate me to just walk for hours on end when "reality" dictates higher priorities. But walking at the beach feels good enough that it puts me in a better position to manage all those other priorities so it's an indulgence I let myself have. Walking indoors feels more like something I'll make myself do to try to maintain my results but has nowhere near the same draw.

I know there are a ton of Leslie's and Jessica's, it's actually overwhelming to try and decide which ones to start with...any experts on these want to chime in with recommendations? I'd surely appreciate it!
Aurora C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-17, 12:08 PM  
Sara1000

I really like Leslie's Burn Body Fat and Sculpt your Arms - you can get a 1,2 & 3 mile workout on the same DVD. She uses soft weights but I sub 1 or 2 pound weights I got very cheap at Walmart. Using the weights ups the intensity a bit and breaks the monotony. Leslie is by herself, which is fine, although I also like her with a group. The music is inconsequential.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-17, 01:00 PM  
Betty Boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
Does anyone do the Virtual active runs without any equipment, run in place?
That's me! I have four "Runs" and one "Hike."

I walk to all of these, using assorted moves. Sometimes I jog.

Tags
fat burning, inside vs outside walking, jessica smith, low impact, mile equivalency, outdoor walking, outside vs inside walking, walking