Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-17, 11:23 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I've gone through many stages with my yoga practice. I started with Bikram, then did a lot of ashtanga flow for years, both classes and DVDs. My YTT was hatha based and then I got into a therapeutic and alignment focus with Jill Miller and Anusara. Now I do what I call mindful hatha with longer holds & attention to form. I love restorative and yin. I sometimes use DVDs and YouTube and go to the occasional class. I love Katy Bowman's Alignment Snacks. But I mainly do my own thing, often long stretchy sessions in the evening with reclined and seated leg & hip stretches, yin hip & chest openers, feels so good after cardio and toning workouts. I have lots of props and bolsters and use them on my own & when I teach.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 11:25 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I don't do yoga very often (I wish I did it more but just never seem to find time) but when I do, I really like Buti yoga workouts or Ali Kamenova from youtube (https://www.youtube.com/user/YogaIntervals19)

At one point in time a couple of years ago, I really got into Bikram yoga, but it's a big time commitment and I've just gotten older and don't feel up to it anymore

OT but on the topic of Janice Lennard, her ballet workout is really great too I haven't checked into her yoga workout but I love her calm presence and grace!
Old 02-09-17, 11:39 AM  
sherry7899

Dontmindthemess- is that studio in Sea Girt? I think we passed it driving around the Spring Lake area when we were searching for a particular store. I am glad you found a class you enjoy so much.

I have never taken a live class. I am too intimidated and shy. There is a yoga studio five minutes from my house and Erin Motz from Do Yoga With Me is holding a workshop a half hour from me next month. Maybe next year.....

I have a large collection of yoga dvds but I have been using the you tube channel Yoga TX a lot lately.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 12:08 PM  
Dontmindthemess

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Dontmindthemess- is that studio in Sea Girt? I think we passed it driving around the Spring Lake area when we were searching for a particular store. I am glad you found a class you enjoy so much.

I have never taken a live class. I am too intimidated and shy. There is a yoga studio five minutes from my house and Erin Motz from Do Yoga With Me is holding a workshop a half hour from me next month. Maybe next year.....

I have a large collection of yoga dvds but I have been using the you tube channel Yoga TX a lot lately.
Sherry, the studio I go to is in Northfield, I'm farther south There's another Baptiste studio about 20 minutes away too. I would encourage you to take a live class if you're interested. You are plenty capable of following along. On top of that no one is paying attention to you. I swear someone can be right next to me in class and I have no idea what they are doing. If it's something that you're interested in just go try it out. Life is short!! You may love it, hate it, or it just might be meh. It's just an experience. Hopefully it'll be fun! There's people of all ages, sizes, colors, and fitness levels in the classes I go to. I promise you won't stand out to anyone but yourself!!

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 12:13 PM  
Izzy

Can anyone recommend a good Yin Yoga DVD besides Travis? I love Travis but sometimes doing it over and over it gets old and I am craving variety.

I prefer a dvd only because when I get home from work I don't have a lot time to search for streaming options. I just need to get the Dvd in the player and push play. I use Yin mostly after my part time job where I can be on my feet up to 8-9 hours. I get home, I am exhausted and just want to do a good Yin Yoga to stretch out.

BUT, I will also take streaming suggestions as well. I have not found that many good ones on You Tube.

Thank you

Mary
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 12:41 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontmindthemess View Post
I practice yoga several times a week. These days it's live classes. When I did DVDs or videos it was usually Eoin Finn and Yoga with Adrienne. I tried Namaste and I just didn't click with it. I'm interested in kundalini (and all kinds) but I don't know where I'd fit it in right now.

In September I started going to a Baron Baptiste studio. I went as a fluke with a friend that wanted to try it. She hated it and I loved it. The room is heated to 90 degrees and 100% humidity. Sounds awful right? I thought it did too because I had tried a Bikram class years ago and hated it. I walked out of the studio feeling so good, the best I had felt in a long time and I was totally hooked. The practice is pretty much the same every time, we follow the Journey into Power Sequence. It's on the athletic side but there's people of all different levels that take it at their own pace. At the risk of sounding like a lunatic, this practice has been life changing for me, physically and mentally. If someone had told me in August that I'd be this hooked on something I would have thought it was hysterical, but here I am. I am stronger and more flexible than I have ever been and I have so much more compassion for myself and others. I've really learned that you just have to show up over and over to make change happen. I even have my husband and brother-in-law hooked too.

I also go to a Kripalu class on Tuesday nights. That's the first style I ever tried and I still love it. It's like apples and oranges compared to Baptiste.

Yoga is AWESOME
Jane, that live class sounds so great. Your quote that really hit home is "I've really learned that you just have to show up over and over to make change happen." I love yoga and the peaceful, mindfulness of it but I don't spend nearly enough time doing it. There are so many other types of exercise I like. I always think maybe when I retire I will have enough time to do daily yoga.

I recently purchased a bunch of new yoga workouts. They are sitting in my virgin pile just waiting for me. I did one by Kathryn Budig that was pretty good. She has a calm demeanor with nice visualizations but she moves quite quickly during the practice. My favorite for a long time was Bryan Kest. Now I'm spoiled with Travis and Vytas but I do want to try others.

Kim
Mickey12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 12:46 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Can anyone recommend a good Yin Yoga DVD besides Travis? I love Travis but sometimes doing it over and over it gets old and I am craving variety.

I prefer a dvd only because when I get home from work I don't have a lot time to search for streaming options. I just need to get the Dvd in the player and push play. I use Yin mostly after my part time job where I can be on my feet up to 8-9 hours. I get home, I am exhausted and just want to do a good Yin Yoga to stretch out.

BUT, I will also take streaming suggestions as well. I have not found that many good ones on You Tube.

Thank you

Mary
These dvds might interest you:

Mark Laham's Yin Yoga
Paul Grilley's Yin Yoga
Sarah Powers Insight Yoga

Here is a link to my youtube yin playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...dk53mv-vfeqgUp

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 12:51 PM  
Mickey12

Wink

I just saw Buffmama's post on the prior yoga thread in which she said she tries to practice yoga daily because it makes her a nicer person . That sums up yoga so perfectly!

Kim
Mickey12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 05:13 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post

I prefer a dvd only because when I get home from work I don't have a lot time to search for streaming options.
My most-used Yin is actually the Biff Mithoefer Yin Yoga "kit". There's one practice on audio CD, but mostly you use a book, flashcards, and your own timer (or the timer track on the CD). It's very easy to follow: you pick a sequence from the book -- there are several from 30 minutes to 2 hours; I either do 30 or 60 minutes -- you stack the cards in the order of the poses in the sequence, and then you hold each pose for 5 minutes, flipping to the next card to see the next pose. It sounds more complicated than it is - it's very easy. I use the GymBoss app for the 5-minute intervals.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 05:38 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Hi! Chiming in ...

I've practiced yoga off and on for the past several years. But Jan 1 I started the Do Yoga With Me 30-Day Challenge and for some reason I felt like I finally "got it". I've been doing yoga every morning since then. The classes were laid out in a schedule, all I had to do was click and play. Since then, I'm selecting my own classes choosing ones that are about 30 minutes and then I do some yoga-strengthening moves.

I just started a second practice in the evening. Like others have commented, I also find I'm nicer, happier, and calmer so if I have the urge to do yoga more than once in a day, I'm going for it!

-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amy weintraub, biff mithoefer, legs up the wall, namaste yoga, nirvair, yoga, yoga audios