Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-17, 08:28 AM  
Rhonda

Yoga - Let's Talk

Hi everyone,

I am just starting this thread so we can talk anything Yoga.

I actually did a nice yoga practice last night when I got home. First one in quite some time. It is from the DVD
Yoga Journal: Yoga for Well-Being with Jason Crandell

I did the restful sleep practice and it has great hip openers.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 08:53 AM  
PhyllisG

I have been doing yoga every day since Jan 1. I am really enjoying it. Not to mention I have managed to acquire quite a fewmore DVDs.
Mostly it has been Tara Lee, Tamal Dodge, Sara Ivanhoe and Namaste Yoga which I love. Most of January was devoted to Namaste Yoga.
My balance and flexibility have both improved.....rather quickly.
New for me practices that I recently discovered and love....
Yoga Flow Saraswati River Tradition and Yoga for Stress Reduction with Hala Khouri.
I do a morning practice but have been trying to introduce an evening practice also.
No luck with that so far.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 09:03 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 09:04 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

DH and I take a yoga class at our gym 2X per week. The teacher is great--she got her training at the Himalayan Institute, and she is a nurse who has excellent anatomical knowledge. This is not "yoga as workout", but since the class is early in the morning, I (and my 60 year joints) am quite happy with the pace of the class. DH and I are the youngest people in the class; it's great to see so many older people benefitting from yoga.

At home I also do yoga several times a week with my videos. Recently I've been doing old favorites like the Total Yoga series by Ganga White and Tracy Rich, Power Yoga Total Body with Rodney Yee, Yoga Short Forms by David Swenson, Baron Baptiste's Live Series, etc. Janice Lennard's yoga DVD is a favorite as well--it's not exactly power yoga but it is a long practice and somewhat demanding. When I want something less vigorous I have several options to choose from too.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 09:17 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyK View Post
Thanks Rhonda for starting this thread!

I'm curious about yoga contraindications, there are so many. I honestly only found out about them due to a review from Dr. Beth about a yoga video I was looking at on Amazon. I had started a thread asking about them since I have asthma, but still unsure. Is this something to take to heart and completely avoid or should I just listen to my body? Of course, since I'm new to yoga the majority of my videos are gentle stretchy stuff and I'm not flexible or strong enough to do most poses.
Here's an article about yoga and asthma. The article mentions a Cochrane Review study; Cochrane Review is a gold standard.

There's a Yoga Journal article about yoga poses contraindicated for asthma. It bugs me that there is no text explaining why these particular poses are a no-no. If I had to guess I'd say because at least some of them compress your lungs or your throat ... but I don't like guessing, and Yoga Journal should have posted explanations about these poses.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
Old 02-09-17, 09:23 AM  
buffmama

I started the year with yoga with Adriene's Revolution. I'm currently doing Yoga with Tim's 30 day challenge. Very different practices. Thinking of heading into Fightmaster's yoga for happiness next unless I need a break first. They're all on youtube.
Old 02-09-17, 09:29 AM  
laurajhawk

I do yoga most days, a mix of video and live classes. In the morning I do my video workout, either yoga or something else: right now I'm mostly alternating 30for30 with Jessica Smith's 6-week program, although today I didn't want to do 30for30 (Edge! ) and did RaviAna instead (House Calls Superset, which is tough enough).

My schedule has made it hard to get to 6 pm yoga classes lately, but a new studio near me has 7 pm classes several days a week - they are restorative or yin. I haven't done much restorative and am loving it - I sleep better. I did do restorative every morning for 3 weeks during teacher training in 2013. (I think it kept us from dying from all the vinyasa we did through the day.)

Betsy, I LOVE Janice Lennard's yoga. I don't do it often (not doing many 60-minute videos lately) but I think it would have to be a desert-island DVD for me.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 10:20 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
Betsy, I LOVE Janice Lennard's yoga. I don't do it often (not doing many 60-minute videos lately) but I think it would have to be a desert-island DVD for me.
Laura--so glad you like Janice, too! She is so elegant, and the fact that she is in her 70s is super inspirational to me.

Old 02-09-17, 10:38 AM  
blzgrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
I actually did a nice yoga practice last night when I got home. First one in quite some time. It is from the DVD
Yoga Journal: Yoga for Well-Being with Jason Crandell.
This is one of my favorites. I normally do 30 mins cardio/strength and 30 mins yoga. I'll do an hour long yoga once a week and recently started doing a yin once a week and a gentle stretch on Sundays. I did the Yoga30for30 rotation last month. Now I'm incorporating one of those a week into my regular rotation. I use videos and streaming, Lesley Fightmaster and others on YouTube, Yoga Download, Do Yoga With Me, Grokker.

Berni
blzgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 11:04 AM  
Dontmindthemess

I practice yoga several times a week. These days it's live classes. When I did DVDs or videos it was usually Eoin Finn and Yoga with Adrienne. I tried Namaste and I just didn't click with it. I'm interested in kundalini (and all kinds) but I don't know where I'd fit it in right now.

In September I started going to a Baron Baptiste studio. I went as a fluke with a friend that wanted to try it. She hated it and I loved it. The room is heated to 90 degrees and 100% humidity. Sounds awful right? I thought it did too because I had tried a Bikram class years ago and hated it. I walked out of the studio feeling so good, the best I had felt in a long time and I was totally hooked. The practice is pretty much the same every time, we follow the Journey into Power Sequence. It's on the athletic side but there's people of all different levels that take it at their own pace. At the risk of sounding like a lunatic, this practice has been life changing for me, physically and mentally. If someone had told me in August that I'd be this hooked on something I would have thought it was hysterical, but here I am. I am stronger and more flexible than I have ever been and I have so much more compassion for myself and others. I've really learned that you just have to show up over and over to make change happen. I even have my husband and brother-in-law hooked too.

I also go to a Kripalu class on Tuesday nights. That's the first style I ever tried and I still love it. It's like apples and oranges compared to Baptiste.

Yoga is AWESOME
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amy weintraub, biff mithoefer, legs up the wall, namaste yoga, nirvair, yoga, yoga audios