Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-17, 08:34 PM  
moonbeam31

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Well, goodness. I wish she'd released THIS on DVD. These previews look like something I'd enjoy.
YES! I wish!!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-17, 08:02 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-17, 10:00 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Even though I'm not even interested in these walks by Ellen, I am just so disgusted by all instructors going to streaming. It's just such a lazy way for them to make more money and such a totally bad financial investment for the buyer. Oh well. Just had to rant .
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-17, 10:21 AM  
michl43

I did the free trial, havent tried the workouts yet. Will definitely cancel before expiration
michl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-17, 10:30 AM  
PhyllisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Even though I'm not even interested in these walks by Ellen, I am just so disgusted by all instructors going to streaming. It's just such a lazy way for them to make more money and such a totally bad financial investment for the buyer. Oh well. Just had to rant .
I totally agree with you. If I subscribed to streaming for very instructor I enjoy, I would be paying a fortune every month. No thanks.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-17, 01:18 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I disagree completely. I think in general there are only so many times a person is going to do most workouts. Sure, there are some really knock out workouts that are done over and over again, but streaming allows them to get more content out there faster. It's more like having a gym membership and live workouts. I know, it's not for everyone, but it sort of irritates me that you think it's just a money grab on their part. I would encourage you to try to see it in a different way and not be "disgusted" by them.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-17, 01:21 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I disagree completely. I think in general there are only so many times a person is going to do most workouts. Sure, there are some really knock out workouts that are done over and over again, but streaming allows them to get more content out there faster. It's more like having a gym membership and live workouts. I know, it's not for everyone, but it sort of irritates me that you think it's just a money grab on their part. I would encourage you to try to see it in a different way and not be "disgusted" by them.
Yes, me too. It's far more work running a streaming site than producing a DVD once a year, IMO.
Old 02-02-17, 01:23 PM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I totally agree with you. If I subscribed to streaming for very instructor I enjoy, I would be paying a fortune every month. No thanks.
Exactly!

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-17, 01:49 PM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

I don't think folks realize how much money it takes to produce a DVD, especially a pressed DVD which requires a minimum number of copies to be made. Add to the productions costs, you have the marketing costs and the middleman costs. There's no guarantee that an independent instructor would be able to sell all the DVDs in today's market where DVDs are becoming obsolete. Just look at Mary's collection of DVDs which she had purchased but have not sold.

I would much rather see a instructor offer a larger number of workouts via the streaming or download format than offer far fewer DVDs. I like bee's analogy that streaming is like a gym membership or live workout. I'm one who likes variety in workouts.

Regarding Ellen's workouts on Grokker - I rather like them. I think they are better than her previous walking DVDs. And her background exercisers are smiling while working out; it would have been nice to have had these 2 ladies in Ellen's previous offering. I checked out some of the other Grokker instructors and they look good and I plan to check them out after doing the Ellen workouts. I hope Grokker works out for Ellen and I hope she offers more workouts in the future.
Old 02-02-17, 01:59 PM  
sherry7899

I don't even need these, but can you download from Grokker? Just a general question...

I can see both sides. I am not a fan of streaming, but that is because of my particular set up. I don't always have access to a laptop to use, and if I do, I have to prop it on something that is not a good height to see it while working out. I have to use a small folding tv tray. Also, if I spend money on something, I do want to actually own it. I sometimes subscribe to a site where you can download, and I love those workouts. The thing I REALLY appreciate about workouts that you can stream and/or download is that they can use MUCH better music
than dvds due to the cost of music rights. I am a total music geek, and exercising to music I really enjoy can make a workout so much better for me.

I am grateful Jessica still produces dvds. I can't do walking workouts anymore (they hurt my hip flexors and low back) but I appreciate that she does it for those who can use her workouts. She really listens to her fanbase and provides so much free material also.

ETA: I will likely always prefer dvds, though.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
7 day workout challenge