Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-16, 01:39 PM  
lorajc

Has Anyone Gone Thru A Period Of Workout Life Like This?

I was injured and I'm healing.....coming up on a year since my last severe accident and doing better. Have been doing mainly Kundalini Yoga and having great fun and results with that. I threw in some Hatha and Oh BOY...that was really cross training my muscles...which I know I need.

I'm afraid I'll NEVER be able to work out again. I'm waiting for my spasms to subside. I foam roll, use trigger point tools, do self massage and work on myself better than any therapist i've ever been to. I even do craniosacral massage for my TMJ...........it's tiring...takes all day!! LOL

So when I feel I'm ready, I want to start with gentle belly dance -- which I did a bit one day and really felt it.....so I'm really REALLY out of shape. I used to be advanced.....so I BASICALLY NEED ADVICE ON HOW TO START OVER LIKE A BEGINNER. Do I do like the Firm says and do weight workout without weights? What else?

Please chime in and help me......I'm lost here.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-16, 01:46 PM  
Ricka

People say Pilates is excellent for recovering from injury. Do you want me to send a Pilates DVD your way?
Ricka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-16, 01:56 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
...so I BASICALLY NEED ADVICE ON HOW TO START OVER LIKE A BEGINNER. Do I do like the Firm says and do weight workout without weights? What else?
VF has a Beginners, Perennial Beginners, and Re-Starters Check-In that is active:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=214044

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-16, 02:15 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Yup. I was running and ended up with a foot issue. I was supposed to stay off my feet, but I figured I could do weight work still. Then I had a lumpectomy and couldn't use my arm! Recovered from surgery and did some cycling and light weights. Then had radiation and it kind of knocked the stuffing out of me. I did manage to work out through it but kept everything at a manageable level.

Do what you can! Just getting back in (or not losing) the fitness habit is what's good in a stage like that. Walk if you can, and yes, do some workouts without weights if you have to!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-16, 02:22 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I've had to come back from foot & ankle fractures and major surgery. I start slow and back off when needed. My go to recovery workouts for cardio & strength are PowerFit, beginner Pilates, swimming, & walking. For stretching its gentle yoga & Essentrics.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-16, 02:23 PM  
Stephanie_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
Yup. I was running and ended up with a foot issue. I was supposed to stay off my feet, but I figured I could do weight work still. Then I had a lumpectomy and couldn't use my arm! Recovered from surgery and did some cycling and light weights. Then had radiation and it kind of knocked the stuffing out of me. I did manage to work out through it but kept everything at a manageable level.

Do what you can! Just getting back in (or not losing) the fitness habit is what's good in a stage like that. Walk if you can, and yes, do some workouts without weights if you have to!
Oh crap! I hope you're feeling better now. A friend of mine is going through her chemo and rad, and she's a long-term mega exerciser. She hates not moving, but I tell her there's times you aren't gonna want to. She said "we'll see" because after her mastectomy she was going strong....I tell you that chemo and rad will knock you out!!

Lora, does the belly dancing hurt hurt or just "oh I haven't used these muscles in awhile" hurt? If it's the latter, I'd just do what's fun cardio wise and your Pilates if you're still doing them...you can build up from there.

Alta I had no idea there was a thread, so that's another good idea!

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-16, 02:23 PM  
lorajc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricka View Post
People say Pilates is excellent for recovering from injury. Do you want me to send a Pilates DVD your way?
Sure - that would be lovely -- PM me please and I'll give my addy....thanks...Lora. Did this help you recover from an injury?
Old 10-26-16, 02:28 PM  
lorajc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie_B View Post
Oh crap! I hope you're feeling better now. A friend of mine is going through her chemo and rad, and she's a long-term mega exerciser. She hates not moving, but I tell her there's times you aren't gonna want to. She said "we'll see" because after her mastectomy she was going strong....I tell you that chemo and rad will knock you out!!

Lora, does the belly dancing hurt hurt or just "oh I haven't used these muscles in awhile" hurt? If it's the latter, I'd just do what's fun cardio wise and your Pilates if you're still doing them...you can build up from there.

Alta I had no idea there was a thread, so that's another good idea!
Stephanie - it was more of an "oh crap...haven't used these muscles in a long time" and my shoulders seized up from all of the arm work. I actually didn't do just a straight belly dance workout like I SHOULD have....I did this one that was a 45 minute workout with bellydance moves and yoga stretches, exercises, etc. However, I didn't do all of the reps cuz she was crazy. All of the arm work did me in. The leg work did make my sciatica act up also. However, YES it is just ......Whoa haven't used these muscles.

That being said.....my spasms in my body are still an issue that I worry about. Not sure if I can workout with them. The thing is........I've had them my whole life and used to work out with them before.....so...why not now? (well since I was first injured in my spine at 27)
Old 10-26-16, 02:33 PM  
Stephanie_B

I dunno with the spasms thing. I only get them in my spine, the entire L-spine, so I don't workout per se with them....well now I digress, I will walk and I will stretch so I do light workouts. I won't twist with them but I'll extend up and over so as to stretch it side-to-side. It's hard to tell ya know because that's "my" body and yours is different even with the same diagnoses. Like my daughter is out of physical commission all day if she gets a hangnail and my oldest has insisted to be let back in a game after TWO balls to the head (softball as a 7 year old--I wasn't there and I was pissed he was allowed back!).

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-16, 07:48 PM  
CoolGirlinFl888

Yup. I was a hard core workout girl always doing vids with weights 6 days a week with the 7th day I would walk 5 miles. Then I injured my shoulder and it took some time to heal. I started back early working out and hurt it more and it almost broke me. I felt I wouldn't ever be back to what I used to. I started slowly and once I was completely healed to work out three days a week. I didn't rush it and I did cardio only or if I used weights light ones. I found myself using my 5 pound weights again, weights that had actually grown cob webs on them! I had to do it that way because mentally I couldn't give up like that. Take it slow and gentle. That's the best way!
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
injuries, restart, restarting