Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-12-16, 07:56 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
For me, it's not the length of the workouts or even the intensity that gets me best results. It's the consistency. I get the best results and feel my best when I work out pretty much every day - no matter what I do or for how long. By results I mean staying healthy, flexible and ache-free. These are the "results" I value most at this time of my life.
Yes!! This is me too!
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-16, 08:14 PM  
desderata

I'm not sure what you consider to be "long" workouts - I get my best results by consistently working out 6-7 days a week for 50 - 65 minutes or so. I work hard and am sweaty after every workout, but they aren't what I would call very intense. My problem with doing 60+minute, super intense workouts on a regular basis is I always end up injured in some way.

I think the best thing is to mix harder, longer workouts in with shorter, less intense workouts unless you're super fit or training for an event.

Edited to add that by results I mean fat loss, muscle strength and definition, and feeling energized and happy, not wiped out and achey.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-16, 08:16 PM  
bubbles76

Unfortunately, yes. But that's just not my life anymore. My results are still good but honestly, they are better with longer, harder workouts. I'm also one of those oddballs that harder workouts make me eat less. Except for Imax 3.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-16, 08:36 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Unfortunately, yes. But that's just not my life anymore. My results are still good but honestly, they are better with longer, harder workouts. I'm also one of those oddballs that harder workouts make me eat less. Except for Imax 3.
Maybe this has to do with our age? And how we age? I started out with long and hard workouts 30 or so years ago, and now I just scaled down and I still get "results", just not the same results I was expecting when I was 20-30 years old?
Old 10-12-16, 10:00 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
For me, it's not the length of the workouts or even the intensity that gets me best results. It's the consistency. I get the best results and feel my best when I work out pretty much every day - no matter what I do or for how long. By results I mean staying healthy, flexible and ache-free. These are the "results" I value most at this time of my life.
Same for me - consistency is the single most important factor for me.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-16, 10:03 PM  
desderata

What's the saying - it's not the years, but the miles? I did two decades of long, very intense workouts, and during that time broke a foot, had two knee surgeries, and a shoulder injury. All of those come back to haunt me now if I try to do the long, intense workouts on a regular basis. I think it's age + old injuries.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-16, 10:09 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Another vote for consistency! Long, hard, intense workouts leave me sore and hungry.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-16, 10:21 PM  
bex

I feel like the exception in these conversations, because I'm ramping back up after a few years of being too busy to exercise.

I've always been prone to on-and-off cycles, but I resolved that I'd use turning 50 to be in the best shape of my life.

Yes, longer and more intense workouts give me better results. Over the last year I've built muscle, endurance and flexibility. I feel alive in my body.

I've done it gradually. A year and a half ago I was at beginner intensity and an hour would wipe me out. Now I'm (upper) intermediate and an hour is normal, plus sometimes a bit extra for abs or a short yoga practice.

It has made me hungrier. I make sure to eat breakfast, and if I don't get an afternoon snack it can put my after-work workout at risk. But not eat-the-world hungrier.

So, in my case, more is more. YMMV.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-16, 10:36 PM  
Boots

I agree with working out consistently, as well. For me, I would much rather do "feel good" workouts than really long and/or intense. Not to say that I don't do those on occasion, but if I do them too often, I tend to start dreading my workouts and getting burned out quicker. Also, if I work out too hard on a regular basis, I may start taking more "days off", and my consistency goes right out the window.
Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 12:01 AM  
beanpeanut

For me, if my cardio is longer (45 min to 1hr.), my toning and weights ends up being shorter (20 to 30 min.) and vice versa. My balance these days is, 30 minutes of cardio with 10 to 15 minutes of toning.
beanpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high intensity, intense workouts, long workouts, results