Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-16, 06:21 PM  
lorajc

Refreshing post.....glad I'm not alone.....57....sidelined by a rash of injuries and life problems during menopause that cause a 45 lb at gain...........right now I'm only able to do kinda link yoga for health and personal reasons but hope to be better soon and back to the type of workouts everyone here suggested.

Good luck and welcome back.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 07:36 PM  
Sollamyn

Hi and welcome back. I'm the same way--gained about 35 pounds in the last couple of years. I never thought that would happen to me (or that I would let it happen), but I've been struggling with lots of life issues plus menopause and I've been mood eating my way through it all. I feel that I will get back to a more healthy weight eventually, but I am discouraged all that same. I just need to start and stick with something for awhile. So far, though, nothing has stuck and I feel...stuck! But I will keep on trying. No choice!

Donna
Old 09-06-16, 06:33 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Hi Carla! Good to see you posting again! If you previously enjoyed Kelly Coffey-Meyer's DVDs, then I recommend checking out her newest releases. I have been enjoying her Lean Body Circuits DVD. It's great that these are short, but thorough workouts, including cardio and total body strength. You may also enjoy Cathe's Live workouts. For under $10 per month, you can choose from over 100 workouts that Cathe has filmed every week for the past 2 years, and there is tremendous variety.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 07:26 AM  
Anny

Christine, sorry to hear about your surgery.

Carla, so far this year I have been enjoying walking (outdoors, some occasional Leslie or Jessica Smith), yoga (I am currently liking the free workouts on YouTube, Yoga with Adriene) and what I call 'fusion' workouts ( Ellen Barrett, Jessica Smith barre, Yoga Booty Ballet and some Tracy Anderson mat work). I throw these out there as sometimes some less traditional workouts help with motivation and these workouts also make my mind and body feel good, which helps with consistency.
Old 09-07-16, 07:49 AM  
windyh
VF Supporter

I was having a difficult time getting up in the AM. I started back with the Fitprime Quickie and Fusion workouts. If you like the Firm and have the high step and weights, these are fun, short and allot of workouts on the DVDs. 11-15 minutes. I am 53.

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Fit...uic-p/2296.htm

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Fit...-Wa-p/2297.htm
windyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 06:46 PM  
ncl

Hi Carla! Welcome back.

I think Jessica's workouts are good too and she has a great personality. I am not too much in to walking workouts, but I like her others.

Other series that come to mind are Fe Fit which is a good set up 30 minute workouts, not too difficult.

For intermediate, Cathe ICE is great, no dread factor for me.

If you like dancey type things, I am really enjoying Shaun T's Cize which is not super hard in terms of cardio effort but he does teach some choreography. I would say these are my most fun workouts currently. Let us know what you decide and how it is going.

I also find that as I get older, I need a little more stretching and yoga, so have discovered Travis Eliot.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 03:44 PM  
GinaXOXO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathTeacher View Post
I started with Barre3 28 to Great. I was really pleased with the results. Right now I am addicted to barre workouts. The Bar Method Change Your Body and Barre3 Total Body Lift are my favorites.
I have an online subscription and would like to tries these. How do I find them in the online library??
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-16, 10:43 AM  
donellda

I recommend the PowerFit workouts by Stephanie Huckabee and Jessica Smith's walking workouts. I have been sick most of the summer and these are the instructors that I have started back with. There are a lot of other workouts that can help. The important thing is to find one that will keep you motivated.
Good luck!
donellda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-16, 01:27 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Hi Carla, sorry to hear you've been struggling, but glad you're back!

I'd say just keep it simple and get into a routine. Keep the food real and simple. Everyday, block off some time for movement. You don't have to kill it and drag it home every single day, but just get in some movement every day. This is what works for me, anyway. I'm a creature of routine!

If you've got DVDs in stock at home, that's great, but I had put on some weight recently and was dealing with some injuries. I was not nearly up to my previous fitness level and for me, doing those old time workouts was actually kind of depressing. I kept remembering what I used to be able to do and was constantly reminded that I wasn't there anymore. So although I had enough workouts to last me a lifetime, I bought some more! Hahaha! Vidiot to my dying breath. It did make it fun to have some new material.

Now my injuries are better, most of the weight's off and I'm back to my old favorites. You'll get there, too! Love that you're back! We're all here to help each other.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-16, 02:35 PM  
Footballnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Hi Carla, sorry to hear you've been struggling, but glad you're back!

I'd say just keep it simple and get into a routine. Keep the food real and simple. Everyday, block off some time for movement. You don't have to kill it and drag it home every single day, but just get in some movement every day. This is what works for me, anyway. I'm a creature of routine!

If you've got DVDs in stock at home, that's great, but I had put on some weight recently and was dealing with some injuries. I was not nearly up to my previous fitness level and for me, doing those old time workouts was actually kind of depressing. I kept remembering what I used to be able to do and was constantly reminded that I wasn't there anymore. So although I had enough workouts to last me a lifetime, I bought some more! Hahaha! Vidiot to my dying breath. It did make it fun to have some new material.

Now my injuries are better, most of the weight's off and I'm back to my old favorites. You'll get there, too! Love that you're back! We're all here to help each other.
This is a great idea. I tried to pull out some old stuff recently and it was just depressing.

Tags
over 50, restarting