Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-16, 12:44 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaShanti View Post
Hi you guys. I used to hang out here all the time, worked out 6 days a week, weighed 135 lbs and could do 30+ press ups...now I'm 50 in 5 months and get out of puff going up a flight of stairs and I weigh 183. Life through me some rubbish, and this is how I coped. But all that to say...where do I start? I want to start fresh. But I want to start with something suitable. I've been out of the loop for a while. What instructor do you recommend for me? What starting-over workout? I don't even know what's out there anymore.

Thanks in advance!
welcome home!
i looked at your old posts (sorry for the stalking) and you've enjoyed The Firm (FL workouts), KCM, and Cathe.

as others have mentioned, i'd definitely try Leslie Sansone. along with that, just walk and find more ways to be active throughout the day - in other words, increase your NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis).

if you find yourself sitting at your desk a lot, aim to get up more. "Sitting is the new smoking" as they say now. we started a stair-climbing group at work recently, and for me it's really changed things up. in 10 minutes, we climb 22 floors (44 flights of stairs).

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 12:51 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Hi Carla, Everyone has great suggestions for you. I don't think you can wrong with Jessica Smith. Welcome back! I miss reading your posts.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 12:53 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I echo the Jessica Smith suggestions. She has a You Tube channel which is chock full of variety. I have been meaning to try more of her stuff myself.

And walking, just get out and walk, it will make you feel better and some say it's the best exercise you can do. Again, another thing I need to do more of too.

I have discovered how important it is to have beginner workouts on hand, if you need to restart after a long time away, or for whatever reason. I am back in beginner world myself for a bit. I appreciate the starter workouts I do have and have added a few more. I imagine as I age I will be reaching for them more and more. (Leslie, old Jane Fondas, beginner Cathe, etc.)

Good luck, you will get there!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 12:57 PM  
dmlarue1

I started over again this year. I started with the Jessica Smith Walk Strong program...it was varied enough but not super hard, so was able to complete most of it. I then did KCM Start here for quite a while.

I messed around with youtube quite a bit...there's a lot of Leslie, Powerfits, Jenny Ford, etc....

I then got interested in Hamelin D'Abell on youtube. He has a bunch of cardio, cardiotones, and toning videos that are about 30 minutes long.

This is an example of a cardiotone (cardio with weights for arms) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drAYsxtc_pA. I like them because the moves are pretty simple.

(He does have a bunch of hour long ones that are pretty brutal...I had to work up to those ones).

Hang in there....at the beginning of the year I didn't have a consistent exercise program...but for the last 6 months I have been very consistent..and I feel a lot better when I exercise consistently.
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 01:02 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I'll be 50 next week (yikes!!) and, as others have suggested, please check out Jessica Smith's youtube videos. She's about to release a fall challenge that will use a mix of her youtube videos and her DVDs. Since you're just starting out, do a search on her beginner videos and see what you think.

I've been using her DVDs for the past year and while I'm not suggesting I look like a supermodel, I am definitely stronger and in better cardio shape than I was a year ago. I find her workouts are very doable and enjoyable for those of us 'of a certain age' and there is no dread factor. I feel like I get a good workout without feeling drained.

A beginner set I keep on hand is Tony Horton's 10 Minute Trainer. I sometimes go back to this one after illness or injury, but find I like Jessica's stuff even better these days.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 02:10 PM  
Lannette

Hi Carla,

I don't have any suggestions beyond the excellent suggestions already given. I just wanted to say, I remember you! WELCOME BACK! I'm looking forward to reading your future posts.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 06:53 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Hi Carla! I remember you as well.

Since Bzar did the legwork and researched what you used to like, I'll toss in some comments:
  • Since you liked the FIRM, and I love the FIRM, I also think you may enjoy Jessica Smith's latest sets
  • Since you liked KCM, continue to give her a try. She has so many 30-minute workouts with great pre-mixes; you can go light with the weights and do the cardio at an intensity that works for you at this time
  • Since you liked Cathe: if you have the budget for it, try out her new Cathe Live classes. Many of us LOVE her live classes. Many are "metabolic" or circuits, so they have a FIRM-like appeal. They are all an hour or less. It's easy to subscribe and easy to cancel; you may want to give it a try for a month.
-Anta
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 06:33 AM  
kathym
VF Supporter

Hi,
Since you like Cathe her new ICE series can go from Intermediate to Intermediate Advanced (if you do the addons). I have found this one of her most versatile series and also one of the most enjoyable.
Just start slow and work up. You know you can do it as you have before. The firm always holds a place in my heart as well.
Old 09-05-16, 07:45 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathym View Post
Hi,
Since you like Cathe her new ICE series can go from Intermediate to Intermediate Advanced (if you do the addons). I have found this one of her most versatile series and also one of the most enjoyable.
Just start slow and work up. You know you can do it as you have before. The firm always holds a place in my heart as well.
Yes, I agree with this and meant to mention in my above post. I used Cathe's workouts a lot years ago but was burnt out on them and just found they had a big dread factor for me so I sold most of them off, keeping just a few favorites. I recently purchased the entire ICE series and it's one of my all time best vidiot buys ever. The workouts are enjoyable and I am very grateful that she released these. Aside from the occasional Pyramids (with lighter weights) and Low Impact Circuit, these are the Cathe's I will use mostly, along with her beginner DVDs that I have recently reacquired.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 07:47 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Just also wanted to welcome you back. I remember you too. Whatever you do, remember, consistency is the most important. Yo go girl!

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
over 50, restarting