Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-04-16, 03:26 PM  
PrairieGem

Restarting: A personal observation

Like a lot of us, I've had a really tough spring with stress/illness/grief/injury/life-too-busy-to-work-out-ness. I'm finally getting to a place where I have the time and mental wherewithal to fit in some workouts, and have scheduled them for my weekly calendar--YAY!

But I feel really beaten up and beaten down and my fitness level is not where it usually is. Logic tells me I should be doing things like Classical Stretch or yoga--restorative, gentle workouts. In fact, I recently ordered DDP Yoga, although I've only managed a couple of workouts since I got it.

Here's the thing, though, and I just realized this during today's workout: I don't love those kinds of workouts. I do them and recognize their value, and I feel very affectionate toward Miranda... but they don't make me WANT to work out. And when I'm coming off a slump... what I really need are workouts I WANT to do! Yoga and CS and posture/flexibility rotations need to wait until I'm in a better groove.

...Which is why I love my collection of short, beginner-friendly circuit workouts. Someone recently recommended Kathy Smith's "Total Body Turnaround," which has three 20-minute workouts. It was only $8.00 at Amazon, and sounded worth a try--the circuit workout is PERFECT for what I need right now! Others I love are Michelle Dozois's "10 Minute Solution: Carb Burner" (stupid title, good workouts), KCM's "Start Here," (fantastic, short, energizing cardio workout), and an old Denise Austin workout (Fat Burning Blast, maybe?). They don't take too much out of me, make me happy, and make me feel worked out in the limited time/energy I have right now. Those are the workouts I always turn to when I'm restarting or recovering.

Anyway, I thought it was kind of interesting, and I thought I'd mention it for anyone else who might be in the same boat: Wanting to work out, but not inspired by the gentle workouts that we so often recommend to each other. What we might need, instead, are shorter, easier versions of our favorite types of workouts!

(Twenty-five years it's taken to figure this out! Ha!)
Old 06-04-16, 03:45 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Hi Gem! It sounds like you have a good collection of workouts for starting back. That is a good idea to do shorter versions of favorite workouts to get back into a fitness routine.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-16, 03:45 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

You make a good point! When I need a pick me up I reach for a short but moderately fast paced cardio with just enough choreography to keep me from thinking about anything else.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-16, 04:06 PM  
Sara1000

I don't know if this relates, but I just couldn't get into classical stretch because I like a systematic approach and CS is the opposite - or that's how it seems to me. It's all jumbled up! I prefer Margaret Richard for a soothing, gentle approach to traditional moves. Just be sure to go very light at first!
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-16, 04:31 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

That observation is exactly why I keep so many of KCM's workouts around. I'll exercise with her when I don't want to exercise with others.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-16, 05:21 PM  
Bebop

I agree. That is why I have kept my beginner workouts. I also find I am using the shorter pre-mixes of my favorite workouts and modifying. You can always do your favorites just modify modify modify.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-16, 07:12 PM  
bubbles76

I feel the same way about Kathy Smith, Amy Bento, Christi Taylor, and most recently, Firm workouts and their cousins. They make me happy. Oh, and I love Gilad too. He makes me happy watching him.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-16, 07:15 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I love Gilad's step workouts filmed by Waikiki beach, one of my favorite places!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-16, 04:59 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post

What we might need, instead, are shorter, easier versions of our favorite types of workouts!
Yes! I started out doing no more than 30 minutes of something every day, or every day I can fit it in. I have given myself permission to put down the weights when it doesn't feel right, get out of a position and do something different if it starts to hurt (barre), and just enjoy the workout and the wonderful feeling of having worked out afterwards.
No amount of Classical Stretch (which is great, by the way!) will satisfy the need for a pumping, sweaty circuit workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I feel the same way about Kathy Smith, Amy Bento, Christi Taylor, and most recently, Firm workouts and their cousins. They make me happy. Oh, and I love Gilad too. He makes me happy watching him.
Pink Firms like Ultimate Fat Burning Workout, Cardio Overdrive and even Calorie explosion have been making me happy these days
If I only have 30 minutes, I'll just stop and stretch after 30 minutes of working out.

Some Firm Express workouts are tons of fun, too. Alison's cardio and cardio-strength are great.

It just feels good to be putting on my workout clothes and working up a sweat that doesn't leave me beaten up. This time of the year I cycle more, mow my lawn, do gardening and attack home improvement projects, so I'm getting more workouts in anyway.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-16, 09:36 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Being in the slump-mode, I try to take favorite workouts and modify them down to reduce any dread factor.

I have done Cindy Whitmarsh's 10 Days to a Better Body a few times lately. It alternates high rep strength with bouts of cardio. I modify the cardio to low impact. If I am feeling low energy I use really light weights. The upper and lower workouts are about 25 minutes each. There is little dread factor.

Some folks don't like Leslie Sansone. If not for Leslie, there would be a lot less workout days on my calendar!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner circuits, gentle exercise, restarting, working out after illness