Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-16, 07:24 AM  
schoolgirl-01

didn't know i wasn't exercising correctly because i'm over 50. i can do jumping jacks, deep squats, etc.
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-16, 07:32 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
Alan, your post made me smile. Several years ago, my parents (then in their mid 60s) moved OUT of the one-story house they bought for retirement, and INTO a house with three floors and dozens of stairs--they have to go up at least a couple of steps to do almost anything (the foyer is a few stairs down from the living room; their bedroom is on the top floor, etc), because they worried all that flat living wasn't good for them as they aged.

When I called my mom on her 73rd birthday, she was up on a ladder painting the living room.
I love this. I have a tall skinny house 4 floors and we use all of them. I'm up and down the stairs all day long, and I would never want to move because of the stairs.I actually love stairs. Back in Hungary I lived on the 4th floors no elevator, so I was so used to getting up and down with groceries etc. As kids we had races who gets up or down the fastest. My grandparents also lived on the 3rg floor and they were up and down again all in their lives. Stairs are good!

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-16, 08:25 AM  
Izzy

If you live or go to the big cities where many older folks live in apts with stairs, no elevators and how fit they are. You see them walking to grocery stores and coming back with bags of groceries and climbing back up those stairs. Many have dogs and you can see them out there 2-4x a day walking the dogs and then back up and down the stairs. My brother lived in Chicago and in his neighborhood there were many older people with this life style. They walk everywhere, carry their bags, climb their stairs, walk their dogs in all kinds of Chicago weather. I have a friend whose folks are in their 90's. They live in the city, walk everywhere, climb stairs, carry bags. I agree that fitness has no age limit. I know folks in their 80's who are more fit than folks in their 30's and this is mostly due to overall lifestyle choices.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-16, 11:48 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
If you live or go to the big cities where many older folks live in apts with stairs, no elevators and how fit they are. You see them walking to grocery stores and coming back with bags of groceries and climbing back up those stairs. Many have dogs and you can see them out there 2-4x a day walking the dogs and then back up and down the stairs. My brother lived in Chicago and in his neighborhood there were many older people with this life style. They walk everywhere, carry their bags, climb their stairs, walk their dogs in all kinds of Chicago weather. I have a friend whose folks are in their 90's. They live in the city, walk everywhere, climb stairs, carry bags. I agree that fitness has no age limit. I know folks in their 80's who are more fit than folks in their 30's and this is mostly due to overall lifestyle choices.
Especially amongst steep, urban hills if they have no auto transport and narrow sidewalks, such as where I live. Robust of build in the lower body; and nimble enough to avoid bumping into people and/or stepping in dog poop. Think of it as nature's urban obstacle course. No gym membership required.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-16, 12:11 PM  
LAC

No disrespect to Margaret Richard, but if the AARP were to add a regular fitness feature, I personally would prefer that they pick a consultant who is both a certified trainer and a licensed physical therapist to write the column and produce videos. Whether we like it or not, as we age our bodies don't always function the way they did when we were younger. A physical therapist is more likely to have a broader range of knowledge regarding what adaptations need to be made.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-16, 02:18 PM  
muffins135

I agree 100% with you LAC. Just because Margaret was a dancer and has been around for awhile doesn't make her an expert.
muffins135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-16, 08:13 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
I personally would prefer that they pick a consultant who is both a certified trainer and a licensed physical therapist to write the column and produce videos. Whether we like it or not, as we age our bodies don't always function the way they did when we were younger. A physical therapist is more likely to have a broader range of knowledge regarding what adaptations need to be made.
Is Jane Fonda a certified trainer?

I'd love to see Margaret star in the videos. Perfect casting! She'd help with the choreography and be the face (body?) of AARP fitness, appearing on talk shows and at those wellness conventions they have everywhere.
Old 04-24-16, 05:27 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
This. If most people are unfit, it's because we now live in a world that is SO INSANELY comfortable. People are not forced by their everyday lives to exert themselves in any way. A lot of people are not going to carve time out of their schedules for dedicated exercise. They're just too busy, and probably too accustomed to comfort to intentionally make themselves even marginally uncomfortable.

I was watching that HGTV show Fixer Upper last week, and one young family with two kids stipulated they wanted a one-story house because they didn't want to have to deal with stairs. They had two very young children, but you can buy baby gates! Good grief. They were only in their 30's! I hate to sound all judgey, and I get that it's a tough season of life... but wow, it just blew me away that these people were limiting their house search because they didn't want to climb stairs.

Anyway, as for Margaret, it sounds to me like she's just promoting herself and looking for a job. I don't know that criticizing an organization is the best way to go about getting hired, but hey, girl's got to make a living.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-16, 07:53 AM  
Sara1000

I don't think Margaret Richard is looking for a job!

As an instructor who is still doing tough workouts as she approaches 70 but is concerned about joint heath she just expects something better from AARP than that stupid 15 minute workout that uses jumping jacks as a warm up. There are so many great moves out there why include burpees in a workout designed to keep older folks from atrophy?

Have you guys even watched the workout? I think her point is, is that the best a huge organization for retired people can come up with? Is that all the attention they think physical fitness deserves?
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-16, 08:56 AM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
No disrespect to Margaret Richard, but if the AARP were to add a regular fitness feature, I personally would prefer that they pick a consultant who is both a certified trainer and a licensed physical therapist to write the column and produce videos. Whether we like it or not, as we age our bodies don't always function the way they did when we were younger. A physical therapist is more likely to have a broader range of knowledge regarding what adaptations need to be made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
Is Jane Fonda a certified trainer?

I'd love to see Margaret star in the videos. Perfect casting! She'd help with the choreography and be the face (body?) of AARP fitness, appearing on talk shows and at those wellness conventions they have everywhere.
Did I mention Jane Fonda? NO! I didn't name any specific individual. I said my preference is for a licensed physical therapist. But since you brought up Jane Fonda, I'll go on record as saying I am not interested in seeing her as the face of AARP Fitness either. No to Margaret Richard and no to Jane Fonda.

ETA - Thanks for providing the email address for the CEO at AARP. I'll be sending my own email expressing my opinion as an AARP member and will be sure to include my membership number.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aarp, aging, cane fu, ernestine shepherd, margaret richard, margaret richard rotation, national institute aging, senior exercise