Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-07-16, 09:13 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
I'm a big lover of Sci Fi Fantasy. I just read Jim C. Hines Libriomancer series and loved it. The idea that books are magic just resonates strongly with me.
Thanks for the rec; put the first one on hold at the library.
Old 03-07-16, 04:08 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Lynne and Laura - those are good points. Prince of Tides felt hopeless to me which is why I couldn't get past the first 1/4 of it. Beach Music is sad and about dysfunctional people but it doesn't have this air of complete hopelessness to it.

Christine - that sounds interesting! I don't read a ton of sci fi or fantasy but once in awhile I find one I like.

Donna
While it is so important to shed light on horrors, I simply can't watch, read or listen to the details. I'm still scarred from reading a Jerzy Kozinski book, probably 30 years ago. I don't remember the details of Prince of Tides, but I was part way through and just couldn't watch more horrible things happen to those poor kids.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-16, 08:20 PM  
Sissy B

I just finished Chinese Cooking for Diamond Thieves by Dave Lowry. Really cute, but now I'm craving Chinese food.
Sissy B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-16, 08:55 AM  
antbuko

Has anyone read Lisa Gardner? A Kindle Singles of hers came up in my feed. I didn't get it but I downloaded a sample of Alone, which is the first in her Detective D.D. Warren series, to bookmark it for later.

I just finished The Ballad of Tom Black by Victor Lavalle and am now reading The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern. In my pile to read next: The Ghost Bride, by Yangsze Choo, The Goblin Emeror by Katherine Addison, The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps by Kalashante Wilson, Redemption in Indigo by Karen Lord, and Uprooted by Naomi Novik. I am on a bit of fantasy kick, but mostly I am trying to make a habit of reading two books per month. Maybe by the end of the year I will be up to 3 or 4 books. I would love that.
Old 03-12-16, 09:00 AM  
antbuko

[QUOTE=sherry7899;2616320
For the music geeks-I just started the book "Every Anxious Wave" by Mo Daviau. I am not at all into science fiction, but the book description interested me. It is about a bar owner who finds a wormhole in his apartment that he is using to travel back in time to various concerts he either saw and loved, or wished he had seen.

Sherry[/QUOTE]

Let us know how the book is Sherry. So many artists I would love to see are gone...Joe Strummer, Bob Marley, sigh. I like the concept!
Old 03-12-16, 09:01 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy W. View Post
I just finished Blue Like Elvis by Diane Moody. It is a delightful love story -- with a Christian slant to it -- set in Memphis Baptist Memorial Hospital in the spring/summer of 1977. It was the real hospital where Elvis died on August 16 of that year. Elvis' death is the central incident of this fictitious story, although the author did work there at the time and several of the characters are inspired by people she knew at the time. Elvis makes a few appearances in the book as well!

I don't believe you'd have to be an Elvis fan to enjoy the book, and Jesus is not in any way used as a hammer. The characters and events are quite lovely, and I frequently found myself smiling or even chuckling. It was an easy, fast read, and I enjoyed it quite a lot!
Oh wow, I have this in my library! Thanks for the review, Judy. I'll add it to my read next pile.
Old 03-12-16, 09:10 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Sounds interesting, Pat

I finished The Bookseller yesterday, I liked it - it has a 6th sense quality about it. A good first novel for this author.

Since Pat Conroy passed away I decided to re-read Beach Music which was one of his I really enjoyed. I probably read it in 1999/2000 so I don't remember much of the story!

Take care -

Donna
I read Beach Music years ago too. Still have it too. Thumbing through it now, to jog my memory. Maybe I'll get to revisit it before year end.
Old 03-12-16, 10:15 AM  
Sissy B

Last night I finished Fearless, the 3rd book in the Pax Arcana series by Elliott James. Now I'm reading Mrs. Roosevelt's Confidante by Susan Elia McNeal.
Sissy B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-16, 12:06 PM  
JezthePuff2

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
Has anyone read Lisa Gardner? A Kindle Singles of hers came up in my feed. I didn't get it but I downloaded a sample of Alone, which is the first in her Detective D.D. Warren series, to bookmark it for later.
Yes, I've read most of the D.D. Warren series. It's pretty good. I get a little irritated with her character, but the books keep my interest.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-16, 12:26 PM  
alisoncooks

Just finished the first 2 books of The Mapmakers Trilogy by S.E. Grove (The Glass Sentence & The Golden Specific). Very interesting Juvenile Fiction; the world it is placed in is so unique -- more than almost any fantasy novel I've read (and I've read a lot).

I picked them up after stumbling across them in the library (never heard of the series before). Now I'm very much excited for the finale to be released in July.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading