Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-01-16, 10:06 AM  
difit

Spring Reading

Yay Spring is coming . Here are a few new release's for March. Happy reading!

1st
Devonshire Scream (Tea Shop Mysteries, book 17) - Laura Childs
Time of Fog and Fire (Molly Murphy, book 16) - Rhys Bowen
Between a Book and a Hard Place (Devereaux Dime Store Mystery, book 5) - Denise Swanson
And Then There Were Nuns (League of Literary Ladies, book 4) - Kylie Logan
Kernel of Truth (Popcorn Shop Mystery, book 1) - Kristi Abbott
A Churn for the Worse (Amish Mystery, book 5) - Laura Bradford
Ripe for Murder (Cypress Cove Mystery, book 2) - Carlene O'Neil
Planted with Hope (Pinecraft Pie Shop, book 2) - Sherry Gore and Tricia Goyer
One Texas Cowboy Too Many (Burnt Boot, book 3) - Carolyn Brown
The English Son (Amish Millionaire, book 1) - Jean Brunstetter and Wanda E Brunstetter

8th
Far From True (Promise Falls, book 2) - Linwood Barclay
Claw Back (Alison Reynolds, book 11) - J A Jance
Hard Fall (Lucy Guardino, book 5) - C J Lyons
Off the Grid (Joe Pickett, book 16) - C J Box

15th
Private Paris (Private, book 11) - James Patterson and Mark Sullivan
Lie in Plain Sight (Maeve Conlon, book 3) - Maggie Barbieri
Property of a Noble Woman - Danielle Steel
The Total Package - Stephanie Evanovich
Roadside Attraction (Castle View, book 2) – Lynn Cahoon

22nd
Fool Me Once - Harlan Coben
No One Knows - J T Ellison
Summer at the Little Beach Street Bakery (Little Beach Street Bakery, book 2 - Jenny Colgan
Home on Apple Blossom Road (Life in Icicle Falls, book 9) - Sheila Roberts
Treasure of the Heart - (Polwenna Bay, book 4) – Ruth Saberton (kindle)

29th
Darkness - Karen Robards
The Raven King (Raven Cycle, book 4) - Maggie Stiefvater
Killer Reunion (Savannah Reid, book 21) - G A McKevett
Journey to Munich (Maisie Dobbs, book 12) - Jacqueline Winspear
A Muddied Murder (Greenhouse Mystery, book 1) - Wendy Tyson
Death of a Bacon Heiress (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, book 7) - Lee Hollis
Tender Is the Night (Callaways, book 10) - Barbara Freethy
From Here To Home (Too Much, Texas) - Marie Bostwick
Cinco de Mayhem (Santa Fe Cafe Mystery, book 2) - Ann Myers
Dark Hearts (Secrets and Lies, book 3) - Sharon Sala
Vulnerable - Mary Burton
difit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-16, 10:09 AM  
sherry7899

Thanks, dfit!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-16, 02:46 PM  
Judy W.

In memory of the wonderful Harper Lee, I reread my very favorite novel of all time, To Kill a Mockingbird. I savored every page.

I also enjoyed her earlier (released much later) novel Go Set a Watchman. It adds some extra layers to her masterpiece, and I'm glad to have it for that reason, as well as the opportunity to spend just a little more time with those wonderful characters!

Rest in peace, Scout.

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-16, 03:25 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Continuing into late WWII in the Pacific front, we're listening to Retribution: The Battle for Japan, 1944-45 by Max Hastings.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-16, 04:31 PM  
BunnyHop

I've been reading Charlie Holmberg's The Paper Magician and its two sequels. Not sure if this series will go on, but I hope so. (There's definitely room to go in the story.) Good story, good characters, fascinating magic system)
Old 03-01-16, 05:05 PM  
marya

Has Financial Solvency Co-Opted Our Kinsey?

I must be the last Sue Grafton fan to read "X", the latest in Grafton's alphabet series. I liked this book for the very reasons that most Amazon reviewers deplored it--subplots, minute and intricate description of life's mundane details, large cast of characters. It felt almost like a 19th century mystery novel. However...

In “X” an elegant upper class squatter/swindler emerges from her high-end squats (well, technically only the first was a squat) smelling like a rose. Kinsey even advises her how to avoid prosecution! But our newly solvent Kinsey, with too much time on her hands, throws the civil procedure book at her lower middle class, unattractive, elderly squatter neighbors.

True, author Grafton has stacked the deck against Kinsey's neighbors: they are irremediably selfish grifters/users/takers who do not hesitate to prey upon other retirees; but I have to admit, I feel a sneaking sympathy for them, as I think the pre-moneyed Kinsey Millhone might have done. A retiree myself, with a measure of respect for property rights, it nonetheless sickens me to see in my city properties remaining vacant for years on end while our homeless population soars and the rest of us struggle to pay ever-escalating rents. Grafton's uncritical and simplistic championing of private property reminds me of that in the old Nancy Drew mysteries.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-16, 03:47 PM  
sherry7899

Has anyone read "Our Song" by Dani Atkins? Here is a description:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Our-Song-Dan.../dp/1471142248

I had read it was "for fans of "Me Before You" so I got sucked in and ordered it from an Amazon seller.

I just started Amy Hatvany's new book "Somewhere Out There" and got sucked in right away.

For the music geeks-I just started the book "Every Anxious Wave" by Mo Daviau. I am not at all into science fiction, but the book description interested me. It is about a bar owner who finds a wormhole in his apartment that he is using to travel back in time to various concerts he either saw and loved, or wished he had seen.

I am used to Jodi Picoult putting out books this time of year. For years, I would always order her newest book for myself for my birthday (end of February) She used to always release a new book the first week of March. She has switched to October releases. The book due out later this year is called "Small Great Things" and it is coming out on 10/11/16. There is a description here: http://www.jodipicoult.com/small-great-things.html#more

I recently finished "Domestic Secrets" by Rosalind Noonan which was good , but I did not enjoy it as much as her other books. I also just finished "So Far Away" by Meg Mitchell Moore. The story was very well done, but the end was not satisfying. I wanted to know more about what happened to the characters. I think I liked the author's book "Admissions" more than this one.

Sherry

Old 03-02-16, 05:16 PM  
Judy W.

I just finished Blue Like Elvis by Diane Moody. It is a delightful love story -- with a Christian slant to it -- set in Memphis Baptist Memorial Hospital in the spring/summer of 1977. It was the real hospital where Elvis died on August 16 of that year. Elvis' death is the central incident of this fictitious story, although the author did work there at the time and several of the characters are inspired by people she knew at the time. Elvis makes a few appearances in the book as well!

I don't believe you'd have to be an Elvis fan to enjoy the book, and Jesus is not in any way used as a hammer. The characters and events are quite lovely, and I frequently found myself smiling or even chuckling. It was an easy, fast read, and I enjoyed it quite a lot!

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-16, 06:10 PM  
sherry7899

Judy-that sounds like a good read-thanks for posting!

There was a mystery author who had music themed books-I think about Elvis, Buddy Holly and someone else. I wish I could remember the author.

Old 03-02-16, 07:50 PM  
BunnyHop

Years ago, I loved an old English show called 'Nanny' with Wendy Craig. (Nothing like the more modern, American show of the same name.)

It doesn't seem to be available on dvd in the US, but I managed to find a novel with the same basic plot that refers to itself as "Wendy Craig's 'Nanny' " . IIRC, the series got off to a slightly different start than the book does, but the basic idea is that a divorcee in 1929 England begins life as a nanny. So far, an absorbing read. Definitely glad I managed to stumble across this.

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading