Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-18-15, 08:58 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

[QUOTE=lrb04;2591229]To me Leslie is not just better than nothing. It is my almost daily cardio & this New Year will start my 4th year of indoor walking. I love to walk outside but it is not the most handy due to time I walk & weather/sun. It has helped me lose & maintain my weight. That said I will track to see how the miles differ with my device to measure but even if Leslie comes up short that will be okay & I will not be changing based on that but know the difference. My device will also measure heart rate which I can tell how much my heart beats changes when I boost with her! I Leslie! At one point we might buy a TM but Leslie still be in play & will always be for me! [/QUI

I don't wear a fitbit or HR monitor, but I know when I do a Leslie my heartrate is higher and I'm more out of breath than when I walk briskly outdoors. I do use weighted gloves and arm movements with Leslie and I do boost her walks so maybe that's why. But like Fran, I agree that Leslie is definitely much more than just better than nothing.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-15, 09:20 AM  
sherylb

One more thing I should have added... I don't really care what they are on my fitbit. My fitbit is for motivation and I love doing Leslie's workouts. They make me happy and keep me active and that's what's important. My daily step count is for me only.
sherylb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-15, 09:27 AM  
donnamp

Hi,

I have also found that that step count varies based on the workout. I got more steps doing Leslie's older 4 Mile Walk Away the Pounds Express Super Challenge than I did with another 4 Miles I did recently (I did 4 miles of one of her "batcave" 5 milers and it registered fewer steps than the "older" Leslie).

I don't think the step counters "count" some of the movements like the marching in place, or the kickbacks/knee lifts as accurately.

either way, it doesn't matter to me - I will still do Leslie's and Jessica's walks even if the step count doesn't match a true mile. I still think it is valuable for me to do for my goals - which is general health, staying active and mobile!

Take care!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-15, 09:36 AM  
deineira

Leslie is my rest day "workout", so I use them mostly as a way to get in a bit of movement on a rest day. But, since I have a little Fitbit group that I belong to, and I do like reaching my 10,000 steps a day (I'm very competitive by nature), then it does irk me a bit for that reason! Otherwise I wouldn't care. :-)
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-15, 10:55 AM  
TinierTina

Flexible people Get Less from Leslie

Well, except for Susie, her background dancer.

It has just occurred to me, that; really, my stride length is very, very short considering how disproportionately long my legs are; partially because of chronic arch pain and partially because of lack of hip flexibility ...

Irrespective of the number of steps registered in a Leslie workout, which really are most likely fewer ...

I do think the perceived exertion (no gadgets necessary for this) seems a lot less than with walking due to the simple biomechanics of propelling body weight (which would be even more of a challenge, since my legs are skinny) through more space; as would someone with a lengthy stride would do ...

Of course, IF I worked on my splits, rather than my backbends ... some of this stride length problem would be lessened over time ... but I kinda don't do that anymore ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-15, 11:21 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by deineira View Post
Leslie is my rest day "workout", so I use them mostly as a way to get in a bit of movement on a rest day. But, since I have a little Fitbit group that I belong to, and I do like reaching my 10,000 steps a day (I'm very competitive by nature), then it does irk me a bit for that reason! Otherwise I wouldn't care. :-)
This is me too!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-15, 09:07 AM  
donnamp

Hi,

Today I did 6 segments from Leslie's walk blaster DVD - to make an approximately 4 mile walk. I did her light walk, dance walk, brisk & steady, interval, short and sweaty and flexibility and when I finished my step count was 8,130 steps - I do put my counter on first thing in the morning, so you can probably knock a few hundred steps off that for my total, but even if it came to 7K steps, that isn't bad at all - especially before 8:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-15, 01:10 PM  
Sara1000

I'm confused - Leslie says the pace determines the miles - so wouldn't 3000 fast steps take you farther than 3000 slow steps but on Fitbit they count the same? Or does Fitbit register speed as well as number of steps?

I think it's easier to walk faster when you are walking in place than when you're out on the road.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-15, 02:56 PM  
Vantreesta

I know when I walk the dogs faster my pedometer says I walked a shorter distance than when I walk slower. I'm sure it has to do with the stride length. Also your running stride is different so when my GPS says I ran 5 miles my pedometer and Fitbit say I ran a fair amount less.

I agree with your last statement for sure. I can also walk faster on the treadmill than outside.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-16, 12:55 PM  
leigh1673

I am bumping this up because I'm relieved to see that it's not just me experiencing the discrepancy between the Fitbit and Leslie "miles."

I just got a Fitbit Charge HR for Christmas and did my first Leslie workout with it on my wrist today. It was the first 4 miles of her 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk. I made a particular point to pump my arms strong and even did more forward and back motions when Leslie and her team were marching or kicking in place. I jogged forward and back during all the 2-minute boosted walking periods, too.

My fitbit only shows that I walked a little over 2 miles and a little over 5,000 steps! Boo. I'm gonna try Jessica tomorrow and see what the discrepancy is between the FB and her walking workouts.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitbit, leslie sansone, mileage, randy, walking