Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-15, 02:47 PM  
donnamp

My step counter (which is not a FitBit) doesn't measure Leslie "Miles" as 2,000 steps per mile but a little bit less. For instance, when I do a 2 mile Leslie I will get fewer than 4,000 steps (but more than 3K) - but, I think the counter is not tracking the side to side motion and the stepping in place accurately.

I think step counters are a nice tool but they don't show the whole picture of how active we are. I recently started riding my stationary bike again and I clip my counter to my shoe but it doesn't measure as many "steps" for my 30-45 min ride as it would for a 30-45 min walk yet I'm working out just as hard if not harder when I ride.

Take care -

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-15, 03:21 PM  
ellaenchanted

It depends on where I wear it. For Leslie, Jessica, step, and kickboxing, I have to weather it on the waistband or in a pocket near my hip. For spin, I have a holder that attaches to my shoelaces. I will wear it on my bra but it won't register marching, knee lifts, or kicks very well. I get a good amount of steps sigh ghost workouts but I know certain stationary moves won't be counted completely.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-15, 04:57 PM  
lrb04

Smile

To me Leslie is not just better than nothing. It is my almost daily cardio & this New Year will start my 4th year of indoor walking. I love to walk outside but it is not the most handy due to time I walk & weather/sun. It has helped me lose & maintain my weight. That said I will track to see how the miles differ with my device to measure but even if Leslie comes up short that will be okay & I will not be changing based on that but know the difference. My device will also measure heart rate which I can tell how much my heart beats changes when I boost with her! I Leslie! At one point we might buy a TM but Leslie still be in play & will always be for me!
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-15, 05:02 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post

I think step counters are a nice tool but they don't show the whole picture of how active we are. I recently started riding my stationary bike again and I clip my counter to my shoe but it doesn't measure as many "steps" for my 30-45 min ride as it would for a 30-45 min walk yet I'm working out just as hard if not harder when I ride.
Definitely! I think if you're recording workouts, a HR monitor is a better measure of activity. And even then, I look more at relative data--comparing one workout against another--rather than using the numbers as absolutes. On a related note, you can't even compare your data (HR, calorie burn, etc.) to another person because there are so many factors that vary and go into those numbers.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-15, 05:30 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb04 View Post
To me Leslie is not just better than nothing. It is my almost daily cardio & this New Year will start my 4th year of indoor walking. I love to walk outside but it is not the most handy due to time I walk & weather/sun. It has helped me lose & maintain my weight. That said I will track to see how the miles differ with my device to measure but even if Leslie comes up short that will be okay & I will not be changing based on that but know the difference. My device will also measure heart rate which I can tell how much my heart beats changes when I boost with her! I Leslie! At one point we might buy a TM but Leslie still be in play & will always be for me!
Not to mention, that her background exercisers in her HiiT series', add in intensity that makes Leslie even more of a go-to. It depends if it is a matter of wanting quick (loss of avoirdupois weight) results. What I want is a lot more subtle. Cannot do real strength training, have needed low impact since an auto accident 36 years ago in which my car got totaled; and my diabetes glucometer testing is a-OK with Leslie.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-15, 05:34 PM  
lrb04

Smile

Tina That car accident did have an effect which I am glad you adjusted. You are right it is what you put into it! I am glad Leslie is a go to for you too!
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-15, 06:56 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb04 View Post
I feel the same way Fran! Walking outdoors is not always possible. I love my walking workouts, both Leslie & Jessica Smith. I especially like to adapt them to my rebounder. I never quite believed that Leslie's miles were true miles, but they are good steady state cardio and that's what is important to me.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-15, 10:41 PM  
sherylb

I tested it tonight, I did the 1 mile workout from the miracle miles set. I started at 4.61 and went to 5.58 so it's very close. It was also very close to 2,000 steps. I have the zip and wear it at my waist.
sherylb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-15, 07:41 AM  
deineira

It's interesting to see how variable the results on this are. For me, I get 1,200 step for a Leslie mile give or take, and my Fitbit registers that as .57 miles. I am definitely swinging my arms, which is I think what it captures, but who knows. I was curious to see what others were experiencing. I'm not stressing out about it, but I wondered how it compared...

Thanks for those who piped in on this thread.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-15, 08:24 AM  
T2B

I have a Misfit. I’ve worn it on my shoelaces, clipped to my bra, on my arm and in my pocket and Leslie miles average about 1200 to 1300 steps. It's definitely less than a mile according to my Misfit.

joy, love
peace and patience
kindness with goodness
faithfulness & gentleness
self-control
- Motivational Sticker

Now: XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating (Generic) 7/22/22 - 10/24/22
Peak Fit System: 6/3/22 - 7/21/22 *** STS/LIS 90 Day Undulating: 11/19/21 - 2/12/22 *** 6 Week Fusion XTRAIN: 5/17/21 - 6/27/21 *** Body Beast: 12/21/20 - 3/18/21 *** STS: 1/29/20 - 5/3/20 *** Fit Tower/LIS/ICE/ 90 Day: 10/29/19 - 1/19/20 *** XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating: 7/29/19 - 10/25/19
T2B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitbit, leslie sansone, mileage, randy, walking