Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-16-15, 12:27 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I know someone who used a Fitbit for a water exercise class, and it registered nothing! I was in the class, and it was quite strenuous. Basically, I don't think the Fitbit (or similar devices) are necessarily that accurate.
Well, it uses an accelerometer, and if you're basically holding the same position in space, it wouldn't register movement, so this makes sense.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 12:28 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
I know someone who used a Fitbit for a water exercise class, and it registered nothing! I was in the class, and it was quite strenuous. Basically, I don't think the Fitbit (or similar devices) are necessarily that accurate.
I have a Fitbit One and they are water resistant, not water proof. I hope she was using a waterproof FB in water class!
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 02:06 PM  
TinierTina

Leslie is a form of aerobic dance, not walking

From my rotations, I've found Leslie is actually cross-training for walking.

The real counter for effectiveness for different sorts of training (beyond step counting) is still in the planning and development stages

Amiigo Advanced Biometric Analysis

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 02:20 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
I have a Fitbit and it counts every step very accurately so I believe that Leslie's miles are not a true mile. It doesn't count swimming and it doesn't count strength workouts, so I agree that it's not an accurate measurement of overall activity and exertion.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 02:29 PM  
deineira

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I have a Fitbit and it counts every step very accurately so I believe that Leslie's miles are not a true mile. It doesn't count swimming and it doesn't count strength workouts, so I agree that it's not an accurate measurement of overall activity and exertion.
Yeah, I think it's Leslie. When I'm just walking and watching my readout, it's totally accurate and matches me step for step. I have one that is on my wrist, and it counts each swing as a step. If I do kickboxing and punch, or lift my arms up and down, it correctly counts those per movement...so I really think it's Leslie! Especially after getting all this feedback. What's interesting is how short it is. Her miles are about .57 of my miles. That's a huge, huge discrepancy.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 02:30 PM  
Vantreesta

I wear a Fitbit Flex but I am too stubborn to give up my beloved (and very accurate) New-Lifestyles pedometer so I wear both. There is a substantial discrepancy between the two when I do Leslie walks with the Flex registering fewer steps, despite the fact that I always add more or faster arms when I do Leslie to add some intensity. IIRC the pedometer is short of a mile compared to her miles but not as much as the Flex. I just don't think the wrist ones are very accurate other than regular walking/running and daily activity. I haven't had much time to workout for a while and have noticed that most days the two are reasonably close, but on days I do videos they are quite a bit different.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 04:24 PM  
antbuko

Fitbit-wise Leslie isn't worth my time, even though I like her workouts. I accumulate the most steps when I walk outdoors.

ETA: I have the Fitbit One, and previously I had the Zip, both of which I clip to my waistband.
Old 12-16-15, 04:49 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Yes, I would agree that the Fitbit works best for measuring walking forward, not in place.

I walk a scant mile & a quarter or so in the mall with some older friends & the Fitbit registers that fairly accurately. I do Cathe's Step Blast (on the floor) and it shows the same distance/calories burned. Clearly, Step Blast involves a lot more effort!

I use an older Fitbit Ultra & usually put it in my pants pocket. Funny thing: I have a pair of jeans that I wear hiking when it's cold. For some reason, my Fitbits numbers are always higher when I wear that particular pair of pants (maybe deeper pockets so the Fitbit hits my leg more? I dunno.).

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 05:05 PM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

I have a Fitbit one that I have clipped on my bra. When I'm walking it counts my steps very accurately. With Leslie workouts it really depends on the workout. Some of the miles are spot on with my Fitbit & others and about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile on my Fitbit when Leslie says it has been a mile. I'm more inclined to believe my fitbit
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 05:09 PM  
dbclark44

I've never thought that a Leslie mile was a true representation of a mile. But I've always given her props because her workouts are decent and work to get you moving. If you're primarily concerned with distance, then walking outside or on a treadmill may be the better way to go. My feeling with Leslie has always been, something is better than nothing.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitbit, leslie sansone, mileage, randy, walking