Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-15, 10:03 AM  
michl43

Talking Mailbu Pilates chair

Yesterday I bought a Malibu Pilates Pro chair from craigslist/ad for $35. It included 5 dvds and is like new. I think it was advertised with the handles but she probably forgot to give them to me, and I don't think I need them. Well I tried it out last night briefly and I like it. The springs don't seem as high quality as the ones on the exo chair at my pilates class, but again it was a cheap buy. I also like it for an assist in some yoga poses, and will find other uses for it for pose/prop same as I do with my fluidity barre. I love a bargain
michl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-15, 03:08 PM  
Sandrine

Hi, michl43,
I could be your east coast twin! I bought the same version of that, from a Craigslist seller last year. Mine didn't include the handles either, but I don't really miss them. Only one of the dvds uses them, and I modify if I want to do that one. It's a fun piece of equipment which adds variety to my repertoire.
Oh, I love a bargain, also!
Have fun with your new toy!
Sandrine
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-15, 03:15 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Another Malibu Pilates Chair lover here!! I also got it from a local listing a couple of years ago! Enjoy!

Hi Sandrine! Glad you're still enjoying yours!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-15, 08:37 AM  
Sandrine

Hi, AsSweet!
You and michl43 reignited my interest in equipment, so I did the Dream Body w/o yesterday. Thanks for reminding me how much I enjoy this piece of equipment. I've made an effort to include a pilates w/o of some kind at least weekly this year, and I can really feel the difference; my attention to form on this w/o was much stronger than it used to be. I could really feel all the moves in my core, especially my lower abs, instead of mostly my lower back where I used to feel them.

AsSweet, are you still using your chair?
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 06:47 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

OLD THREAD ALERT

in this 2015 reboot, all 6 DVDs are led by Jennifer Galardi.

are the DVDs any good, and do all 6 "NEED" to use the chair?

titles:
*Susan Lucci's Favorite Moves - 28 min (Susan does not appear in the video, from what I understand)
*Pilates Basics - 20 min
*Total Dream Body Workout - 57 min
*Sculpt & Tone - 32 min

2 Disc set:
*Total Body Workout - 48 min
*Total Body Workout Core, Buns & Thigh Makeover Workout - 37 min

*Jenn Galardi instructor

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.

Last edited by bzar; 05-05-19 at 12:05 PM. Reason: edited to correct titles of discs
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-19, 08:02 PM  
videofit

I always forget about craigslist as a good resource.
Old 05-04-19, 08:54 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
OLD THREAD ALERT

in this 2015 reboot, all 4 DVDs are led by Jennifer Galardi.

are the DVDs any good, and do all 6 "NEED" to use the chair?

6 titles:
*Susan Lucci's Favorite Moves - 28 min (Susan does not appear in the video, from what I understand)
*Pilates Basics - 20 min
*Total Dream Body Workout - 57 min
*Sculpt & Tone - 32 min
Total Body Workout - 48 min
*Total Body Workout Core, Buns & Thigh Makeover Workout - 37 min

*Jenn Galardi instructor
I’ve been using my chair as part of a rotation and pulled out the DVDs.
It’s a little confusing because there are the DVDs featuring Jenn Galardi and then the original Malibu Pilates dvds that have the same titles. In general I found the Malibu Pilates dvds to have a more athletic than Pilates vibe. They also tend to move faster and form isn’t quite as good, though that may be because it’s more athletic than Pilates form. If that even makes sense.

Jenn’s 20 minute dvd Pilates basics isn’t useful to me because I don’t feel that it’s well chaptered. The Malibu Pilates dvd with the same title is chaptered to create a separate - and for me - useable add on wo.

Susan Lucci’s favorites - Is resequenced footage from the other videos. It’s about 25 minutes and I like that length. There is no MP version. Instead there’s a Mari Winsor dvd, which I find slow moving. That said, I haven’t done it for ages. It just doesn’t seem to flow well.

I find the other DVDs with Jenn to be really well done. You can skip through exercises so it’s easy to create shorter wos.

I pretty much have all the MP DVDs so if you have a question about a specific dvd I’d be happy to try to answer it or at least give you my opinion.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-19, 09:50 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Lannette, thanks for taking the time to reply. really appreciate it.

i bought the 2-disk set (TB workout + core buns & thighs makeover) and Total dreambody workout from the Pilates Pro Chair series for $2 each case, so i got the 2-disc set for $2.

i don't even own the chair! i'm hoping it'll appear on craigslist or goodwill one day for good price.

i viewed the 3 disks that i purchased and got to see how Jenn uses the chair.

considering how many malibu pilates VF threads there are from the Carroll Krieff series, i was surprised that there are NO reviews in the review section.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-19, 02:09 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I think I will start looking for this on my local Craigslist too. I have always wanted one...I have purchased an AeroPilates, and a Fluidity barre on CL, so you never know

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-19, 06:55 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
i bought the 2-disk set (TB workout + core buns & thighs makeover) and Total dreambody workout from the Pilates Pro Chair series for $2 each case, so i got the 2-disc set for $2.
Bzar, if the first set you listed is a Malibu Pilates DVD set the second dvd uses the tall handles only as a barre. I was disappointed but the other dvd is good enough to make up for it.

The pro dreambody dvd is actually pretty good! Great price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfit41 View Post
I think I will start looking for this on my local Craigslist too. I have always wanted one...I have purchased an AeroPilates, and a Fluidity barre on CL, so you never know

Sherry
Sherry, I really like the chair! I was squirreling away money to buy a Gratz convertible wunda/high chair and I still may at some point but, honestly this chair with the optional sculpting handles does what I need. There are some great wos on Pilatesology and on YouTube as well. I’ve found it super effective and fun to do a Pilates Studio style wo where I do mat, Reformer, chair and sometimes Cadillac (wall springs) along with Leah Sarago.

I remember you got a steal on your Performer. I bet you get a steal on the chair as well. You too bzar.

I just gave away my two performers and a supreme Pilates since I no longer need them. I can’t help but smile thinking of people enjoying them.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jennifer galardi, malibu pilates, malibu pilates pro chair, pilates pro chair