Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-15, 01:43 PM  
TinaT

True results from by gone workouts.

I have been taking an assessment of all the workout bandwagons, gadgets, "in the moment" workouts, I've seen come and go. (And that I've participated in over the years). The industry is in complete information overload and sometimes that makes it hard to really filter down to what works.

So, lots of chatter lately about FIRM, Fitprimes, Tracie Long as of late. But one area I've only used a couple of systems has been Beach Body. Is there anyone who cares to share what program you used and did you actually get the results it claims to give. I just see so much of these systems on the trades list.

My daughter uses Les Mills Combat and loves it. But she's not consistent, so the results aren't there yet. No one talks about Turbo Fire, P90X, Insanity, etc anymore. Or Brazil Butt Lift?... is your butt truly lifted? If your results didn't come from a BB system, what was it?

TIA ~
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-15, 01:48 PM  
Susan

Callanetics always worked for me.

I also loved Jane Fonda's original Workout book, video, and LP. (Yes, I'm old!!!)
Old 10-04-15, 02:06 PM  
Tugger31

I'm sure eating better, or maybe just less, not necessarily better and being a bit more day to day active when I was younger, ie. walking or biking to campus may have had more to do with it, but I had alot better aesthetic results when I was much younger and I did the same workouts over and over b/c that's all I had.

I had Gilad 45/45, the original Step Reebok on VHS, Tamilee Webb's Buns of Steel, a few FIRM Classics, and some hi/lo workout from Denise Austin that is so ancient I can't even remember the name of it!

I have really considered scaling things down ALOT. I have systems that I haven't done once yet, but I can't seem to find a good place to sell them. I don't like Ebay, and don't want to do Amazon.

Sorry for the tangent, I know that didn't answer your original question, it just got me thinking about this topic!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-15, 02:20 PM  
dnna

I got great results from BB Slim Series. I did it a couple times a year, it was difficult,not easy at all. I haven't done it in a long time. Not sure I could handle it. But I really slimmed down when I did a 6 week rotation.
I kind of do the Firms to stay in shape. the Firms seem like sensible workouts to me. When I do a series-like Slim Series- it can really seem like overkill to certain body parts/joints.kind of like setting yourself up for an injury.
I have done JM Body Revolution - the first one -several times and no injuries and I felt great and lost some weight/inches. Also have done 21 day fix several times, no injuries-but felt good , a little weight loss/inches.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-15, 03:06 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
But one area I've only used a couple of systems has been Beach Body. Is there anyone who cares to share what program you used and did you actually get the results it claims to give.
slim series.

i had already had great success with The Firm doing their classic 90DR. that got me down quite a bit. but a few years later, it was slim series that truly delivered, and i did it without using supplements. got back down to pre-wedding weight, which is saying a lot about SS.

there's COUNTLESS threads of people singing the praises of SS.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-15, 03:14 PM  
LAC

Last year I did 21 Day Fix and followed both the eating plan and the workout rotation. I didn't lose any weight, but I did make gains in my fitness level - probably due to the fact that I was being consistent.

I followed that up with Kathy Smith's Project You, doing more than half of the 12 week rotation before giving up due to boredom and the flareup of an injury (injured doing Leslie Sansone of all things, not Kathy Smith or 21 Day Fix). Again, I didn't lose a pound, but my pants got looser and my waist was really small - so small that a woman I work with noticed and commented.

Now I'm not doing anything regularly and it shows
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-15, 03:52 PM  
TinaT

I can honestly say, I've never done a complete system all the way through. I have always allowed something to get in the way. I know the eating/diet element is the biggest, but toning the body comes from exercise.

I've had time this summer to reflect on my good and bad choices when it comes to fitness/health. I believe we have so much at our finger tips already and I don't need to wait for something else to come out. It's just getting the right combo together for optimum results. Whatever I do, it will involve Tracie Long for sure. But I don't want to burn out on her, so I definitely need other methods to incorporate.
Old 10-04-15, 04:22 PM  
BunnyHop

The only ones I've used exclusively were Jane Fonda's workout on vinyl, and an old workout booklet called "Thin Thighs in Thirty Days".

I was in my twenties when using both, FWIW.

The Thin Thighs in 30 days one was quite effective. It's mostly a walking program (3 miles a day, IIRC) plus some hip and thigh exercises.

I really liked the old Jane Fonda, none of her videos ever quite matched up to the fun of that.
Old 10-04-15, 04:34 PM  
TinaT

I kind of miss Gin Miller and Karen Voight. They also had a fun factor to them. But fun does always equal results.
Old 10-04-15, 06:41 PM  
Candiceena

WOW!

I totally could have written this post myself. I feel the same way. Info overload is an understatement. People/instructors are pushing so much to innovate & come up w/ new stuff. I feel it is time to get back to basics.

So many people want to know the right superfood to eat & the exact right # of minutes to do HIIT training (7 min or 8 min?!?!?!) ... it is rare to see/find bloggers & fitness pros encouraging sustainable fitness & health (& weight loss if that is a goal - b/c it is not for everyone).

I would love to see some steady-state cardio programs, like the old BSS1 add-ons. I know Jenny Ford has some on YT but sometimes I crave the professional production of a DVD set.

I do not like yoga/pilates workouts & need to have weights & cardio. I think that a good mix of cardio & weight workouts would be successful for 70-80% of the population who is just seeking to maybe firm up a little and see the non-physique health benefits of exercise.

Tags
effective workouts, firm 90 day rotation, results, rotations, successful weight loss