Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-11-15, 10:37 AM  
wendug

Not exactly fitness related, but I was in the best shape when I sold furniture right out of college. It was a Naked Furniture location and I was often moving furniture around on the showroom floor, helping customers with pick-ups, and receiving the delivery truck. All that weight work lifting and moving furniture really slimmed me down and toned me up!

After moving on to office work working sitting at a desk all day, I put on some weight. So in my early 30s I was doing lots of the Firm and really trimmed up with that. And kickboxing really helps keep my abs and core in check...can be taebo, turbo jam, KCM...any kickboxing really.

In my 40s it seems that weight workouts make me really ravenous so I don't see many gains as far as weight goes, but I am toned. And I've noticed that now my focus with exercising is to make me feel better, and the benefits of weight loss and muscle tone is an added bonus!
Old 09-11-15, 10:47 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I'm in my best shape right now! At 42 (43 next month) I have never looked better physically than I do right now. I finally discovered the secret of lifting weights. Wish I would have realized that YEARS ago.

Hiit, heavy weights and Horizontal Conditioning are my secret concoction right now.
Old 09-11-15, 10:49 AM  
mspina

Now (47 years old), Crossfit 5x/week. VERY heavy lifting. And loving it!

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 11:21 AM  
TriciaR
VF Supporter

I got into great shape for a wedding exclusively using Firm classics. I alternated Strong Heart and Strong Body with volume 2 &3. People really noticed.
The second time I was doing a lot of walking with Cathe weights, using Slow &Heavy rotation then Pure Strength rotation. I made sure to add yoga too.
Tricia
TriciaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 12:52 PM  
momofcha

I was 38 (now 45) and did a mix of kettlebells, barre and WW.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 12:58 PM  
cherimac

I think I am in the best shape now because I am pretty much pain free, at a healthy weight, and don't obsess about the perfect body. I eat to nourish myself, with some treats here and there, and do workouts I love.
Old 09-11-15, 01:33 PM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

I was backpacking.
Softshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 02:09 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

In my mid-20s I was by far in the best shape of my life, using classic/BBH era Firms 5-6 days a week and TONS of running several days a week, with some long runs and long bike rides on the weekend. Everything I did was high intensity. Didn't need to worry about food too much but wasn't eating very rich foods like chocolate and cheese. I looked and felt fantastic and was only derailed due to a biking injury, but never was able to make it back to that sweet spot.

Around 30-31 (I'm almost 33) I was in the second best shape of my life, with a totally different tactic, barre, Tonique, and Dream Body. Workout 6-7 days a week but stagger intensity to keep my appetite down. I think the main golden thing for me at this time was my relationship with food, which was great for probably the first time in my life. Did not desire junk food and followed an informal paleo diet. I'm not really sure how I got away from this but I can't seem to get that magic to happen again.

I tried going back to The Firm recently (which I LOVE) but I think my body needs something different after 10 years. The high intensity and heavier weights make me ravenous and bulky and puffy. The barre/Tonique works a lot better (a lot more lean) but each passing day I'm finding diet is just so much more important than exercise. It took a while to really lose track of that really good relationship with food, and I know it will take a long time to get back into it...it's tough.
Old 09-11-15, 02:30 PM  
DonnaMarie

In my prime (40's - 60)

I was doing mostly Cathe, Gin Miller & Gilad. Now pushing 70, I am low impact Cathe. Feeling "capitol" for my age
Old 09-11-15, 02:31 PM  
Sophie

When I was exactly 20. The year previous, I was the sport rep for my undergrad society so in addition to swimming a k 3x a week, I played soccer, hockey, volleyball, basketball (not necessarily at the same time). That summer, I had a job building a horse trail, and cycled and played soccer in my spare time, hiked and/or backpacked on weekends. I ate like a horse and drank a lot of beer, but I was lean, fit, and very strong. I maintained similar patterns through my twenties, but that was probably the peak.

I've been in pretty decent shape in other times of my life, but hands down, the ages 20-27 probably, and particularly in the younger range, I was in the best shape of my life. Nothing else has come close.

eta: sorry I just re-read the original post! If we eliminate our bulletproof youth, then the best shape was probably in my late 30's to early 40's when I was a SAHM, practicing and teaching yoga, spending a lot of time being outside with my preschoolers, but also doing Cathe and the Firm - whatever was current in those days. That was pretty awesome, and I was the fittest I'd been since my 20's.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
results, rotation, triathlon