Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-15, 02:06 PM  
BunnyHop

I've been keeping track of the books I've read this year on GoodReads, and it's really helped me figure out what I actually enjoy most of the time. I've even found some great 'new to me' authors. Doing it online is kind of a nuisance, but it is convenient to be able to sort things by date or whatever, so I can see more easily what I've read.

Sure, I can read something dark and creepy, but most of the time I much prefer something more thoughtful or funny than disturbing.

Probably has something to do with the fact that I do most of my reading at night, and don't want to inadvertently fuel a nightmare.
Old 09-03-15, 10:27 AM  
sherry7899

I probably drive the reference librarians at my library crazy requesting them to order books...when I do so, they seem to all come in at once! I picked these up-has anyone read any of them? Thanks!

The Third Wife-Lisa Jewell
The Kitchens of the Great Midwest-J. Ryan Stradal
Second Chance Friends-Jennifer Scott (have read other books of hers and liked them)

The New Neighbor-Leah Stewart
A Window Opens-Elisabeth Egan
The Lake Season-Hannah McKinnon
Between The Tides-Susannah Marren

Luckily I can keep them all out for four weeks except one. I am being pickier about which books I will finish since there are too many!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 10:13 PM  
josephine
VF Supporter

I was on a thriller kick for a while until I just couldn't take it anymore. I just finished "We Never Asked for Wings" and I highly recommend it. It's so well written and the story sucked me in from page one.

Sherry 7899 - I read a review of The New Neighbor and have it on my list.
josephine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 10:50 PM  
Sissy B

I just finished Charming by Elliott James. It's Book 1 in his Pax Arcana series and is a supernatural/paranormal book. The tagline is "Not all princes are Charming" and it adds several new elements to the traditional werewolf/vampire/monster lore.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 02:56 AM  
Raineth
VF Supporter

I'm reading X, the new Kinsey Milhone book (by Sue Grafton). So far, it's pretty good!
Raineth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 06:27 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephine View Post
I was on a thriller kick for a while until I just couldn't take it anymore. I just finished "We Never Asked for Wings" and I highly recommend it. It's so well written and the story sucked me in from page one.

Sherry 7899 - I read a review of The New Neighbor and have it on my list.
Thanks, Josephine! I am almost done with "Between The Tides." Have you ever not really liked any characters in a book, yet you keep reading because you want to know how things turned out? This book is like that I will probably read "The Kitchens of the Great Midwest" next since I can only borrow that one for two weeks.

Of course I was reading three other of my own books before the library stack came in. I had to put those aside for now.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 07:30 AM  
Jewels5

Last night I finished Katherine by Anya Seton. I'm glad I finally read it but it was long and not a favorite, unlike so many others who have read it according to the reviews.

Sherry, I have not read any of those you mentioned but A Window Opens is on my list. Did you ever read Hausfrau? I think you mentioned it awhile back. My library reserve came in (for the second time) but I'm just not sure about this one! ETA: Never mind on Hausfrau...thanks!

Donna, I loved Me Before You. I have Ship of Brides but haven't read it yet.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 07:36 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels5 View Post
Last night I finished Katherine by Anya Seton. I'm glad I finally read it but it was long and not a favorite, unlike so many others who have read it according to the reviews.
Hi Julie!! I just had to comment on this because Katherine was my #1 all time favorite book back when I was a teenager and young adult. I first read it at age 15 and read it so many times after that and loved every minute of it. I haven't read it in decades and I'm really not sure what I would think of it now. Your post made me wonder if I really would love it so much now and I think I probably wouldn't. I just never hear about it anymore so it's interesting to see it mentioned again and I couldn't resist commenting.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 07:40 AM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Hi Julie!! I just had to comment on this because Katherine was my #1 all time favorite book back when I was a teenager and young adult. I first read it at age 15 and read it so many times after that and loved every minute of it. I haven't read it in decades and I'm really not sure what I would think of it now. Your post made me wonder if I really would love it so much now and I think I probably wouldn't. I just never hear about it anymore so it's interesting to see it mentioned again and I couldn't resist commenting.
Hi SB! Thanks for posting! That is too funny! Your reaction to it seems to be the same as most... so it must just be me! I did wonder though if I would have had a much different reaction to this if I read it when I was younger. A friend actually sent it to me when she saw it on my list and told me it was one of her favorites too, but she had read it 30 years ago!

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 07:44 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Exactly, Julie. I think I would view it the same as you if I read it now and vice versa. lol
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, reading