Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-15, 06:15 PM  
donnamp

I discovered Lianne Moriarity recently, I have enjoyed all of her books so far, she tackles some tough issues w/out a lot of "darkness". Orphan Train is on my "want to read" list

I'm about 1/3 through Girl on The Train - it is rather addictive!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 07:15 PM  
BunnyHop

Just thought I'd make a shameless plug for a college friend of mine who's got a new e-book coming out tomorrow.

Sex and Insensibility
Here's brief quote from the excerpt at the link:
Quote:
Technically, Lara Caldwell Haley’s ex-husband died before she hit him with the Buick. At least that’s what the coroner had said.

“At least now you won’t have to go through with the divorce,” Helen Caldwell announced, unwinding the crime scene tape that circled the porch.

Lara leaned against the stair railing for support. “Mom, the divorce would be final on Friday. Brian and I were just waiting on the paperwork.” Lara was also waiting on Brian to finally move out.
Old 06-11-15, 10:08 AM  
BunnyHop

Picked up the new Stephen King, Finders Keepers at the library yesterday, and I'm almost halfway through it already. Guess that's a good sign.

So far, it's only kinda-sorta a sequel to Mr. Mercedes, in that the story is set in the same town, and some of the characters were affected by some of the events in that first book. Doesn't seem to me that you'd really NEED to read Mr. Mercedes before this one, though.

Also picked up The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen, since it was so well reviewed. I'm thinking it will fall to the back of my to-read pile. (Have four books from the library that I really want to read, such riches!)
Old 06-11-15, 10:22 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

On the library waitlist for Finders Keepers; I'll read anything Stephen King (except that interminable Dark Tower series, ugh) and am glad he's been so prolific the past couple of years!

None of the other new releases appeal to me, though I did enjoy the latest Lucas Davenport from John Sandford, Gathering Prey. Also finished Little Women this past weekend, which I managed to avoid during my school years but am proud to have bumped off my classics list.

My library is having trouble with its e-downloads; hope they correct it before my next vacation, as I'll be trolling this thread for beach-read ideas and reviews and I'll want to load up the Kindle.
Old 06-11-15, 10:22 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Mr. Mercedes just came for me at the library, so that will be my next read.

Hallmark Channel is replaying the first of the Murder She Bake series, "The Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder," tomorrow night for anyone who wants to watch!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-15, 02:22 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Don't see that anyone has mentioned The Martian yet. I LOVED it.

Here's a link to the movie trailer for it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVjy5UgHh0
Old 06-11-15, 02:29 PM  
sherry7899

Has anyone read Judy Blume's new release "In The Unlikely Event?" My library has it on order. The reviews on Amazon are mixed.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-15, 02:39 PM  
Judy W.

I just finished 'In the Unlikely Event'. I enjoyed it a lot! It's true that it was at times difficult to keep track of who the various characters were, but eventually I was able to figure it out. It was set in 1951-2, somewhat before my time, but it had a very authentic historical feel to it with references to music, ads, books, movies, haircuts and other fun facts. The main characters were likable, the situations mostly believable. The most unbelievable elements were in fact absolutely true -- a series of 3 airplane crashes affecting one town in a matter of less than 3 months. This actually happened, and you can find the information readily on the internet.

What I need in a historical novel is historic accuracy and characters who behave in concert with the times they live in. I found this here, enjoyed the novel and will recommend it to those with similar tastes.

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-15, 02:58 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you Judy!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-15, 03:01 PM  
shelleyann

I totally forgot about this thread!!

It's fun to hear people chat about books I've read or have on hold and am waiting for.

Donna, I read Girl on a Train and all of Liane Moriarty's books. I like her books, though I didn't love Husband's Secret...all the rest were good, IMHO.

I have the new Judy Blume on hold and God In Ruins, plus others.

Right now I'm reading an old Harlan Coben, my last stand alone of his, Dead Shot. I'm listening to the first Veronica Mars book, which I'm enjoying. I have the Martian and Orphan Train on my Kindle waiting for me.

Beth! I want to see that Hallmark movie...I need to go look for it.

I'm reading Little Women to my daughter...about half-way through.

Someone mentioned Wolf Hall. Is it any good? I've been toying with reading it, but it's so long, I want to make sure it's worth it.

Exercise should enhance your life! It should make you feel good & be fun, not drudgery or a beating.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive-to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." Marcus Aurelius
shelleyann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, reading, summer 2015